Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know...I am sorry if I sounded like a treadmill snob. I am really lucky that it is light when I get home, and I have plenty of time to hit the trails. I do not have any great mt bike trails in the area, but we have some great trails for running.
    I am an off road competitor, so I only train on the trails.

I did not mean to offend.....maybe it was my warrior princess coming out...

Ruth

All very good comments... feedback and stories ladies!

RnR- I love the WARRIOR PRINCESS story! So cute and I understand what you mean. You feel so powerful covering the ground.. the distance... and running as the world sits by.

I want everyone to know... that even though it was my *rant*... I was kind of joking around too. To each their own really.

My boss at work never runs outside. He use to be a really awesome triathlete, but due to work hours, etc. he isn't anymore. But he does keep up with his running... and does so only on treadmills... he likes having a fan on him, a sweat towel nearby and a place to put his water.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

I'm trying to figure out a way to download my warrior princess cry so you can all hear it. It's really something. Keeps the bears away I'll tell ya.

Just think Xena in battle and you'll have a good idea what it sounds like.

No running for me this week.

On Saturday, I was lying on my side watching TV (Xterra, of all things) and got up in a funny way. I felt my back "snap" and proceeded to have some killer back spasms -- the day before my 10k race! Grrr..
    Spent Superbowl Sunday with a massage therapist, he worked out a gigantic knot in my lower back.The stiffness is gone (thank goodness) but I'm still a bit sore. So no running until next week, except perhaps on the dreadmill. Fortunately, it's not so bad on the bike. I was able to do 2 hours both yesterday and today, without problems. And my swim drills, of course.

So frustrating.

Note to self: If a race is in no danger of selling out, do NOT pay your entry fee in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetree View Post

On Saturday, I was lying on my side watching TV (Xterra, of all things) and got up in a funny way. I felt my back "snap" and proceeded to have some killer back spasms -- the day before my 10k race! Grrr..
    Spent Superbowl Sunday with a massage therapist, he worked out a gigantic knot in my lower back.The stiffness is gone (thank goodness) but I'm still a bit sore. So no running until next week, except perhaps on the dreadmill. Fortunately, it's not so bad on the bike. I was able to do 2 hours both yesterday and today, without problems. And my swim drills, of course.

So frustrating.

Note to self: If a race is in no danger of selling out, do NOT pay your entry fee in advance!
    Awe Bluetree. Sorry to hear it! How frustrating. Make sure you rest and get your back in order, before pushing through a workout.

I hope you are back at 100% next week!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetree View Post

So frustrating.

I'm sorry to hear about your back. I hope you feel better soon.

This incident takes me back to your post about back pain with shooting pain to the legs. I would strongly suggest that when you are feeling better, you are going to want to start a focused core stability program. It would be best for you to start with supervision from a PT or take a one on one pilates program. If you have any questions PM me.

Thanks K, Wahine

Don't worry... I'll be back next week adding to the TE Running Totals!

Wahine... that's EXACTLY what my coach told me! Now I need to find some more time to carve out somewhere... thanks goodness for Tivo.
    Last edited by Bluetree; 02-07-2007 at 02:50 PM.

Was late getting to the (work) gym and had a meeting shortly thereafter so had to shorten my run - did 2.25 miles on the treadmill. On a positive note, when I first started running on the treadmill a few months ago, I was doing a 5.2 mph pace (very very slow), bumped it to 5.5 mph recently, and today 5.7 mph! My goal is a 10 minute mile, 6 mph. Don't really care if I ever get faster than that, but I'd just like to hit that goal. I know it's still slow compared to folks who run regularly, but I run only 1-2 times a week as cross training, so it's nice to see some improvement over time!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I'm just catching up on the treadmill vs. outdoors discussion. Although I'd much rather run outside, the treadmill is o.k. once in awhile, too. Sometimes it's nice to zone out and watch a little t.v. while I run - just for a change. It's a little easier on the joints, too, since I usually run on pavement outdoors. One of the main things about the treadmill, though, is I have had it - completely had it - with slipping around on snow and ice. Over the weekend I fell on the ice. I wasn't running - just doing errands on my way home from the gym - and I slipped on an uneven icy surface outside my car and landed on my back and upper arm. When I sat up I thought I'd broken my arm. The pain was excruciating - it made me dizzy and queasy. I must have just really smacked my funny bone, though, because my pinky finger on that side was numb for awhile and then it woke up, and there is no swelling or discoloration on my arm and it has full motion. It's just a little sore to touch now. I hate ice! The treadmill beats that any day.

My long run will be Saturday or Sunday. Will probably do a short one tomorrow but stairs today.

Emily, that's a good pace. So many people at the gym get on the treadmill and turn up the speed too much - just to keep up - and they don't last. More isn't always better. Just keep doing what you're doing - you're making good progress.

Deb

Hi runners,
    It's great to hear all of you still try to keep running during this up and down season.
    Only 15 miles for me last week on the trail, will try harder this week.
    I am not sure about running in a ROOM, there is no wind on my face, no crispy clean frash air, and less adventure, and I feel much more proud about myself when I finish.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Interesting viewpoints on both running inside and out. I enjoyed reading them. I totally understand the convenience thing (kimmy), but I agree with and LOVE the warrior princes thing (RNR girl). I don't always feel like a warrior princess, but it sure does feel good to run outside- and outside is a definite boredom beater for me!!!

Sorry about your back, bluetree! Rest up!!!!

No running for me yet. My quad is still hurting... grrrrr... 4 weeks to the marathon and it looks like I may be walking it.... Oh well, a marathon is a marathon whether it's 5 hours or 7 (and it's not like I was going for a PR anyway).
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

UGH.

I finally got sick. Sucks. It's not so bad that I can't get out of bed or anything... I just feel *off*. That and my nose is running.

So, going to rest today and see how I feel tomorrow.

I was scheduled for 3 miles... oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborajen View Post
    Emily, that's a good pace. So many people at the gym get on the treadmill and turn up the speed too much - just to keep up - and they don't last. More isn't always better. Just keep doing what you're doing - you're making good progress.
    Thanks Deb - I appreciate the encouragement! As a complete non-runner until recently, I could never have started faster as I simply couldn't maintain a faster pace for more than a couple tenths of a mile. I have a plate and 4 pins in my right ilium from a cycling accident in 4/05, so I never dreamed I could run at all; consequently, this little bit of running I've been doing is quite a thrill for me!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I did 4 intervals of 3 minutes yesterday, sort of "what I think would be race pace", i.e. really forceful out of my leg muscles running vs. "just dragging my feet along at a jog". I am sore today, but in the place "that guy from spin class who is obviously a triathlete" has a huge bulge in his thighs.
    Gonna run again tomorrow.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Hi Ya,
    We just got back from a recovery run, 3.5 miles...nice and easy. Cold and windy again today, but it was nice in the woods, and the company was great.

Thanks Honey!!!!

My warrior pricess was a little quiet today...oh and I learned something...

DO NOT SPIT IN TO THE WIND!!!! I spit in my own face. The DH just turned around and said...ewww,

I am such a spaz......

Maybe the W.P. was quiet because I shamed her by spitting on myself!!!!