Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Weird Leg Pain

Unhappy Weird Leg Pain

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I don't usually wear heels, but I think I may have gotten some weird pain by me wearing them (and walking a bit) on Friday....

So I didn't have a chance to ride Saturday, but I did walk the dogs. I noticed that my lower legs hurt a little bit, but it didn't seem odd becuase I don't usually wear heels and walk much (I walked a bit at the mall). On Sunday I rode 40 miles with the last 10 in pretty bad pain. My right calf, upper right side feels "weird" kinda like a tight muscle. When I rub the muscle there it doesn't feel knotted though. Cycling to work this morning hurt about the same.

Any idea what I may have done to myself? Any remedies? Icy hot, and hot pads (at separate times ) doesn't seem to work.

Calf Stretch

Hey Aggie,

I posted a reply on another tread about calf stretching:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showp...6&postcount=21

I would consider stretching your calf muscles, especially the soleus, (it's explained in the post and the link). I would continue with ice and heat, although I'm a fan of real ice as opposed to rubs. I also like to alternate between ice and heat in one session:

Ice for 1 min, heat for 1-2 min, ice 1 min... for 10 to 15 min in total. Typically I recommend finishing with heat for something like this and then doing the stretches afterward. If you do this 2 times per day it should take care of it in a few days if it's simply a muscle strain issue from the heels. If it doesn't, you may need to see a PT or Doc.

Hi,

I ended up tendinitis in my upper right calf a couple of winters ago after just one over-aggressive Spinervals session. I was doing the "stop-start" drill in a fairly tough gear. My calf hurt for quite a long time after that, despite stretching and icing. I finally went to physical therapy, though he didn't do much more for it than I had been doing -- more stretches, more icing, cross-friction massage. It just took time to heal. I never do those stop-start drills any more. Not sure that walking in heels could cause the same thing, but it hurt in the same place. If it is tendinitis, rest, ice, and stretching are about all you can do for it.

Good luck!
    Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow