Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Running Mommy View Post
    ...Dang, now that I think about it, my body is like a road map!!
    Excellent analogy, our scars make a fascinating road-map of our lives.

Electra Townie 7D

Nothing very exciting to see here...

Small scar on bridge of nose, I fell on a chicken feeder. Must have been about 4. I remember my Dad carrying me home from the chicken coop and getting 7 stitches from the family Doc.

I tried to learn to whittle wood, there's a scar on my thumb.

Laporoscopy (benign fibroids) and the burns on my tummy from a kitchen accident when I used to cook barely visible.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

scar stories

Have you ever heard of this? I had a wreck 1 1/2 years ago when a pit bull knocked me off my bike. I tumbled and slammed and dragged and twisted several times till gravity kicked in. Anyway . . . I have a place on my back near my right shoulder blade that looks bleached. The wreck resulted in hitting the pavement with my upper shoulder blade. The skin was not broken. My shirt wasn't torn. I was bruised. Now I have a white patch which is the size and shape of a half-dollar. It's as though the impact killed the pigment cells. Now I have a very unique bike wreck "scar".

Barb

Quote Originally Posted by bacarver View Post
    Have you ever heard of this? I had a wreck 1 1/2 years ago when a pit bull knocked me off my bike. I tumbled and slammed and dragged and twisted several times till gravity kicked in. Anyway . . . I have a place on my back near my right shoulder blade that looks bleached. The wreck resulted in hitting the pavement with my upper shoulder blade. The skin was not broken. My shirt wasn't torn. I was bruised. Now I have a white patch which is the size and shape of a half-dollar. It's as though the impact killed the pigment cells. Now I have a very unique bike wreck "scar".

Barb
    I have one like, this but I did have road rash. Actually, after looking at some more, it's more the absence of freckles.
    From that same accident - I hit a patch of gravel at 30MPH. - I have a little finger that's slightly bent(I broke it). Also have some scars near my eye where my glasses broke
    Last edited by Fredwina; 02-04-2007 at 07:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Fredwina View Post
    I have one like, this but I did have road rash. Actually, after looking at some more, it more the absence of freckles.
    From that same accident - I hit a patch of Gravel at 30MPH. - I have a little finger that slightly bent. Also have some scar near my eye where my glasses broke
    My glissade patch is like that. The skin was abraded off from snow. Skin looks pretty normal now except that it lacks pigment, though small circles around hair folicles still have pigment.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

I have a chain ring scar on the outside of my left leg from 1989. It was one of our first rides and we were on a beach. Thom decided to come up beside me and tickle me. I was startled and turned my bike into his and down we went. I landed on his chain ring. I took the sock off my water bottle, wrapped it around my leg to catch the blood and finished the ride.

He says now there's no way I'd topple over like that. I've come along way baby.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

1 big and 2 small scars on right forearm and one on my left hip from getting "doored" by a "milko" in Oz (1985)
    Left-mastectomy scar + lymph nodes (1996)
    5 cm skin cancer scar on my back; like all of us from DownUnder (1999)
    A network of jaggy scars on inner side of right upper arm where all the bones were sticking out (after someone (male) reversed a tractor into me and I nearly died from being squashed against a concrete wall only to be saved in the proverbial nick of time by the SO) + 25 cm surgical scar on the outer side from where the reconstructive lego/meccano was carried out. (2004)
    Broke my nose last year after falling off the bike on a little sandy downhill slope but no scar and it also straightened out the kink that was the result of the previous broken nose (1982)
    Do episiotomy scars and birth tears count?

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

I still have what looks like a new bruise on my face that is left from my bike crash in the spring of 2004 (old and new photos in my crash photo gallery. (The first photo is a doozy, taken 2 days after my accident, look at the 2nd page of the gallery for a current view.) It's smaller than it was, but I'm assuming (and have been since not long after the crash) that the mark is here to stay.

Funny, if you'd asked me before my accident if I thought I'd care about a permanent bruise on my face, I think I would have said yes. But luckily, it doesn't bother me at all.

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 02-05-2007 at 07:32 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Quote Originally Posted by margo49 View Post
    Do episiotomy scars and birth tears count?
    whoooo, haven't thought to try and look for those. Out of sight, out of mind, let's not count them. (no tears for me. hope you healed well, Margot.)
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

haven't gone looking for mine, either...
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Who knows what it all looks like by now!
    The kids are beautiful, that is enough, imo!

In art school I had sculpture classes that dealt with hot liquid metals and wax. Once the molten stuff dripped on my wrist and burned through several layers of flesh. Luckily it, it missed an artery. I now have a jagged two-inch scar across the bottom one of my wrists, which looks like a suicide attempt to strangers. It has faded over time, but for years it looked pretty horrendous.

I cede the crown I was given on the last scars, fractures, and injuries thread to Bluetree. I might be more "tore up" but that is the absolutely winning story!
    Queen receives the "unobtanium" medal on a purple sash for sheer numbers and variety!
    Last edited by margo49; 02-05-2007 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetree View Post
    In art school I had sculpture classes that dealt with hot liquid metals and wax. Once the molten stuff dripped on my wrist and burned through several layers of flesh. Luckily it, it missed an artery. I now have a jagged two-inch scar across the bottom one of my wrists, which looks like a suicide attempt to strangers. It has faded over time, but for years it looked pretty horrendous.
    hmmm - looks like I must not scar easily - even my road rash patches from last year are gone now. I do have a pinpoint "tatoo" on my left palm from when I caught a pencil that I had just sharpened to a wicked point and it stuck directly in my palm. The graphite is still there.

My mom on the other hand had a real cutey on her elbow - long ago when she was a teenager she was diagnosed with a heart murmer (turned out to be nothing really),but the only way to check it back then was to use a catheder - which they put in through the elbow. The scar it left was a real lu lu. Looked just like a frankenstien monster scar with the stitch marks visible and everything.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    hmmm - looks like I must not scar easily - even my road rash patches from last year are gone now. I do have a pinpoint "tatoo" on my left palm from when I caught a pencil that I had just sharpened to a wicked point and it stuck directly in my palm. The graphite is still there.
    Hey I have one of those too. In my forearm, but mine's from art class and we were doing pen and ink drawing with the oldschool pens that you dip in the ink. and I dropped and inked pen that lodged its point into my left forearm. I also call it my tatoo.