Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Bags to work

Hybrid View

Question Bags to work

So I had been commuting to school for some time and when I got my job, of course, I started commuting to there as well. But, I had to carry a lot of stuff (I have to dress pretty well for work, such as nice slacks/skirts, nice heels,etc.) which was different since all I did before was go to school where dress didnt really matter and I only carried notebooks and small reference guides/books. Recently, my neck and back have been hurting on my commutes to where I stopped commuting
    I need to get back into it, so what do y'all think/use/suggest for commuting with clothes and other various items. I don't want to use a backpack anymore, so what's out there that's pretty good with carrying stuff?

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Can your bike handle a rack?
    A rack with panniers would allow you to carry your clothes without the stress on your back.
    Can you leave a pair of shoes or 2 at your desk at work, so you don't have to carry them every day? Just wear your bike shoes to you office, and change them there.
    If you can't or don't want a rack, try a courier bag or sling bag.
    I've used this without much pain on my back:
    http://www.rei.com/product/738793
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I switch between using a backpack (I prefer this over a slingtype back, it seems to spread the weight better for me), and a rack back. Rack bags are the best for your body, but then you have to consider the extra inches when maneuvering through traffic.

Does your work have the facilities to store clothing. If so, drive in on Monday with a few days worth of clothes and then drive on Friday to take them home (or ride in on Friday and just shove them in your bag for the ride home--you'll may want to freshen them up over the weekend anyway).
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." -- Bill Nye

I use a messenger bag and rack/panniers.

The stabilizer strap on the bag is really important, at least for me, because the bag always seems to slip around to my front. My wallet, phone, calendars and the laptop (ugh) go in the messenger bag.

Work clothes & shoes and excess folders and books go in the panniers. (We have 3 sites and somedays I have to be in each one...lots of folders and books.) Lunch goes wherever it fits best.

My Jandd panniers have great reflective strips, and zip shut. I just got the "economy" ones and they work well for folders and clothes. I can also run errands on the way home from work with the panniers.

I have seen (Jannd?) panniers that are garment bags, too, but so far my clothes manage to look OK, even suit jackets and skirts. I do pack them in bags inside the panniers for extra water protection (never needed it, even in downpour) and also so that I could leave the pannier on the rack; the hook, rack and fender stays are more than I can take early in the morning!

The one thing I haven't been smart enough to do yet is to take a winter coat to work. That way I wouldn't have to wear my bike jacket with my dressy clothes...

Good luck!

I do all of my laundry and ironing on Saturday (yeah, wild life I lead) and when I come into the city on the tram on Sunday to do my shopping at the markets I bring a week's worth of clothes and hang them at work.

This way I don't have to carry clothes to and from work every day. I also have a few different pairs of shoes under my desk so I have a bit of a range to choose from each day.

One thing I discovered - jersey/knit/soft fabrics are your friend. So much easier to travel with a soft jersey top than keep a cotton button-down shirt neat and ironed in your backpack. Even better are jersey wrap dresses. They scrunch up small and don't crease - fantastic.

For lunches (so I don't have to travel with them and I don't spend all my shekels on takeaway) I go to the supermarket on Monday lunchtime and buy a loaf of multigrain bread, some cheese and five tomatoes. Cheese and tomato sandwiches for a week. Not exciting but I don't have to carry it or think about it.

Thanks y'all for the suggestions on products and things to do. Today being Friday and quite a nasty day and a really really bad evening weather-wise riding outside isn't in my best interest. So hopefully Monday will the begining of what I started almost 2 years ago and being able to practice what I preach