Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok, now I'm going to gross everybody out. I sit down on the seat (hey, somebody has to provide those germs), don't know if it's because my mother never told me not to or I just don't know any better I don't think I could do "the stance" to save my life, I'd probably end up with a mighty cramp in both legs, unable to ever straighten up again.

But maybe Norwegian restrooms just aren't that awful? No wet seats, and rarely out of paper.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Kitsune06 Guest
    I *have* used the travelmate, but there *is* a learning curve.
    DebW- I found that link awhile ago, that's what started me on that. I can do just fine either way, maybe better 'freehand', but just can't do it with someone watching. Shy bladder.
    The keys to success are- strong start, sudden finish, and manage not to drip on your feet!

Asian pits...

I have no problem with sitting on a public toilet seat. My skin is healthy and should be able to ward off any germ just fine.

Now, if you're in China, you don't have to worry about a toilet seat because you're likely to be squatting over a pit in the floor. The technique:

1) Roll up pant legs prior to entry into stall (if you are lucky enough to have a stall and not just several pits in the floor with no privacy) to avoid having pantlegs dragging in nastiness on the floor when you squat.

2) If you have a stall this is a good time to enter and close the door behind you. That is, if you have a door.

3) Most of the pits are a type of basin in the floor and some have a Pee shield, that goes to the front when you squat.

4) Most North Americans are large than your average Chinese person so you probably want to have your feet wider that the suggested foot pads on the ground.

5) Squat and pee

6) pull toilet paper out of purse - because there is never any in the restrooms and wipe.

7) drop used toilet paper into the basket with everyone elses used toilet paper at the side of the pit. Chinese plumbing can't handle TP.

8) Leave stall, fix pants and hope that you have water to wash your hands.

My travel companions and I developed a rating system. the person who went in first would rate it and report and the others would decide if they should hold it depending on the rating. Believe me, some of them were that bad.

toilets

Wahine-I've heard about the toilets in some parts of China..

The ones at the train stations in Japan were similar but cleaner. I could never get the squat toilets down pat...makes for some exciting moments

Now the best thing about squat toilets is when you're in the middle of the doing your thing & there's a spider crawling around...

Prior to visiting Malaysia, I wasn't aware of the toilet situation. As it's a muslim country here's more info. I was confused when i saw the bucket & cup beside the toilet at first but then realized..ah..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_toilet_etiquette

c

I've done field work in wilderness areas, including Grand Canyon National Park, where we had to pack *all* solid wastes out. So we had a bucket with a liner and a lid, but then got in an arguement with our helicopter pilot - a substitute because our regular pilot was out on medical - that *the bucket* should most definitely NOT be in the cabin of the helicopter, it should be in the cargohold. This poor flyboy was used to flying big whigs around, not scrappy biologists and their stuff.

We were *civilized*, we did have a toilet seat that balanced on top of the bucket, and in another bucket was the toilet paper, a package of lime, and some tabloids for reading. Each bucket had a lid to protect or contain the contents. This humble toilet was on the edge of camp behind some shubbery. We went to "commune with nature."
    Beth

yep. I think my most memorable toilet visits were during summer field work on Spitsbergen.

We dug a little hole 200 m away from our tent camp (well, scrabbled aside as much as we could before we hit permafrost) and erected a small dry-stone wall around. Our toilet seat was very civilized, thin plywood with a layer of cork nailed on

So you'd grab the toilet paper, the matchbox to burn all dry bits up with afterwards, a rifle, and go sit gazing down towards the ice-berg laden fjord for a couple of minutes, which also was the direction any curious polar bears would come strolling from.

Frequently checking across your shoulder in case they didn't...

And no, we never saw any.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

free travelmate

I've got a sealed package of 2 Travelmates I'll give to anyone who wants them. When I bought it several years ago, the company got behind on orders, and to make amends, they DOUBLED everyone's order. So I ended up with 4 instead of the minimum order of 2. And didn't like it well enough to use it anyway. PM me is you want them.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

This is fascinating. I can hardly wait to get into the shower to try it out!

Kitsune06 Guest
    shower is *the best* way to practice (who doesn't have to pee in the morning??) first get so you can do it, then get so you can reliably hit the drain. I'm out of practice, but when I was really doing that often (between the Fair and weekend hiking trips...) I could argue with dh that I had aim as good or better.

Ok - here is a simple way to pee standing up for women

http://www.urinelle.biz/html/en/Howt...OVMTC=standard

Still won't let me write my name in the snow tho...........
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

That last one reminds me of the song "Detachable Penis".

When I was in the Army and working in the motor pool we had no immediate facilities and I had to walk to another motor pool that did. My sergeant, having done time in "Nam informed me of the method the Vietnamese women used with the thumb and forefinger. From then on instead of telling him I was going to use the toilet I just made that "L" sign.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Aint Doody View Post
    This is fascinating. I can hardly wait to get into the shower to try it out!

Me too.

Anyone ever seen the British comedy film "The Full Monty"? In the opening scenes one of the women shows she can pee standing up (to the delight and amazement of her friends).

It's a film that if you haven't seen it, it is well worth getting hold of
    There are a lot of unwanted, unloved bikes out there - go on give a bike a good home

I was on a business call with a client once and I really had to pee - so i thought, 'what the hell he'll never know, I'll pee quietly. Course then I completely forgot about that stupid automatic flush thing - DOPE!

ive seen this before, it's so true....hahah...i hate those things..when i was in spain,hardly any of them had seat covers it was basically just a bowl..needless to say, i had strong thighs when i got home haha
    shopping IS my job<3 baby phat

Zen - Explain!!!!!!!

Knot-has-things-to-try-tomorrow-in-the-shower

(and how much of this can I use with my pelvic floor patients?)

And let's all sing "If I had a Penis" by Uncle Bonzai. (that screaming fan you hear in the background? That's yours truly at Bumbershoot.)
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 10-04-2007 at 09:31 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson