Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

(Long and Less Long) Runs - 1/20 to 2/4

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello Ladies!

It's our thread of the week!

Well, it's my first week on my tri coach's schedule. I am suppose to run 11 miles this week. We will see how it goes!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

3 miles down. I did it in 31 minutes on the treadmill. I was suppose to do a slow run, and probably should have gone slower, but the treadmill is torture.

3 down, 8 to go.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    THE DREADMILL! AAAAAAAAAUUUUGGGGGHHH! Hopefully the remaining 8 will be outside!

Here, you'll appreciate this (from the Albuquerque Tribune)

Random thoughts from a typical workout on the Dreadmill:

Remember when exercise was all about having fun? When did it become drudgery? Here I am, bored out of my skull, walking to nowhere. Let's not think about how that's a metaphor for Life.

God, my legs are going to fall off. If they did, could I get new ones grafted on? Ones that already had muscles? Then I could skip the workouts and still look better in shorts.

These days, doctors can transplant most anything, including faces, from one human to another. Too bad they haven't mastered personality transplants. I can think of some people who'd benefit from that.

What is that huffing sound? Oh, it's me.

If Americans keep living longer and longer, will huffing and puffing eventually become the background music of life?

You know you're older when "getting lucky" refers to the last piece of cake.

How come we have angel's food cake and devil's food cake and who decided which is which? Do they serve those in heaven and hell? If so, I'll go with the chocolate, even if it means eternal fire.

Mmm, cake.

What the heck is manna? You always hear about "manna from heaven." Does it come in chocolate?

How come Death's always pictured as a specter in a hooded cloak, carrying a scythe? At new year's time, the long-bearded Old Year carries a scythe, too. Is he related to Death? How do you use a scythe anyway?

What's that awful smell? Oh, that's me, too.

The bravest person who ever lived was the one who first ate a lobster. Here's this creature, looks like a big bug, comes armed with clacking claws. Drop it into boiling water and it turns bright red, a sure warning sign. And yet, somebody was the first to say, `Hey, let's eat this thing.'

Mmm, lobster.

Is that the phone? Probably another telemarketer. Here's the perfect thing to say to get rid of telemarketers: "So. What are you wearing?"

Is that a chest pain? Nah. But what if it was? I'm all alone here. Could I get to a phone and call for help before it's too late? Would my family find me here, hours later, face down on the treadmill? Would I have big black rubber burns on my face? I'd better start keeping my cell phone nearby.

I could use my workout time to talk on the phone, if people didn't mind the puffing. They'd probably hang up, thinking it was an obscene call. "It's that breather again."

Mmm, breathing.

Time's almost up. Just a few more minutes of agony, then I can get off this machine and get on with my day. Assuming I don't pass out first.

Wonder how much liposuction costs?

HA! HA! Very cute! Thanks for sharing!

It inspired me to post the following on my Training Log on BT:

Random thoughts while running on the treadmill

Inspired from something else I read on my TE forum. I pondered... what did I think about while on the treadmill? Here it goes:

~ Cover the display with the towel, so you can't see how far you have left to go. Gotta peak. Damn. Only, .50 out of 3 miles done? Crap. This is going to be a long run.

~ I should speed up.

~ I can't speed up. Dang cramp in my torso. WHY DO I GET ALL THESE FREAKING CRAMPS? WHY??? Rub it out. Rub it out. Rub it out. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe. Stay at the same slow speed.

~ I think I feel that chaffing under my arm again. I wore a shirt to stop that. Dang my arms are fat. I need to do some weights tonight. Fat and flabby arms.

~ I'm tired. My legs feel tired. Ugh. Suffering... this is suffering. Keep going. Don't stop.

~ OH! It's a good song... yea!

~ OH! It's a slow song... need to fast forward on my iPod (I listen to 2 hour DJ sets)... ****! *Ooopss! Said that outload!* Dang it. It went to the next track. OH well, find a new DJ set to listen to.

~ Yes! 1 mile left to go. WHOO-HOO! Speed up. Must speed up. I can do it. Must get this the hell over with. No cramps. Good. Keep it going girl... on your measly 6.0 till the end.

~ 3 miles! IT'S OVER!

~ Ouch, my knees hurt. I'm tired. Now, off to do the weights... to help my flabby arms some.
    Last edited by KSH; 01-29-2007 at 06:35 PM.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    very good! Now, to prevent a thread hijack, I'm starting a new thread for treadmill musings...so ladies, please share over on that thread!

Very cute treadmill musings - I think I'll be having some of those later this week due to weather.

Since today is supossed to be the warmest day of the week (it's 40), I went on a trail run. Did somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 miles, felt great. Have to work on picking my feet up more so that I don't trip (I almost did one face plant), and then stepped off a rock wrong and twisted the crap out of my right ankle. Oh well, I've taken some naproxen and we'll see what happens. It was fantastic to run through the trees and next to the creek, looking out over the valley. Extremely peaceful.

How are you're runs doing ladies?

btchance: bad luck with the ankle. I'm able to run again after spraining my left a couple of weeks ago. Its still not 100% and was complaining a bit on the climbing wall last night (lots of twisting).

I did 5 miles yesterday with 4 x 2min intervals, 2 minute recoveries in the middle. Concentrated on pacing it so I was able to finish the last one as strongly as the first. It was nice to get my legs moving quickly again.

Only 1.5 yesterday. I wanted to do about 3 but I didn't get to the gym until too late and then halfway through my run had to dart over to abs class, then home to grab some dinner before gym#2.

I'll do better on Thursday! And I'm hoping to do a brick this weekend, if the weather is above freezing!

K.

This week has been a practice in how to lose 5 lbs the wrong way. I got up Monday morning preparing for a run, the weather looked great. Got my pack and my shoes, went upstairs to change... ugh... my tummy doesn't feel so good. Yeah, you see where this is going. Wake up Tuesday morning, lost 5+lbs, heart rate is 155 straight out of bed. Over the course of the day yesterday, it finally dropped back to normal. (WHEW!!!!)

Today I took it easy, no running. I can eat dinner, but not breakfast or lunch. I never thought I would want to run so bad... but I miss it.

So, I hope to keep the 5 lbs off, but this time... the right way. Our very nice marketing lady at work says I can get a FEMALE sized polo shirt for trade shows once I don't fit into the extra-small unisex size anymore so now I have real incentive.

Three miles on the treadmill today -- a little slower than KSH (32:45 just for the running part of my workout), but I'm not in it for racing, just for fitness, heart health, and fat burning, so I don't mind being slow. Also walked .5 miles (I always walk .25 mi before and after running, to warm up and cool down, since I'm old!) Felt pretty good, though I realized that I should have eaten more before starting as my stomach started growling about half-way through - never a good sign. But I made it! Tied for my longest run ever.

Colby, that is a lot of weight to lose even being mega-sick - in only one day. Poor you on the illness (but not on the five lbs.!) Hope you feel much better soon.

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I have fluctuated ~5 lbs on a single day. Mostly I blame it on stress and not hydrating enough. I don't like it when it happens, but usually the next day it'll be back.

K.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Colby, that is a lot of weight to lose even being mega-sick - in only one day. Poor you on the illness (but not on the five lbs.!) Hope you feel much better soon.
    The heart rate was scary. I'm sure the stress of being sick plus the dehydration PLUS the crazy heart rate just put my body into overload and it ditched the weight. I must have drank 4+ liters of water, and STILL lost a ton of weight. I was joking with my husband that this is a great time to try small portion sizes!

Emily, I am only running for the health benefits, plus when I am in shape I feel really great after a run. I am definitely in the less long run category. Last night I challenged myself and added a 4th lap at our little .8 mile trail. I ended with 3.2 miles, approx 32 minutes. This distance used to be more short run, I am working on getting to that again.

Tomorrow I might have to hit the treadmill, it is supposed to be cold.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Two miles of intervals for me today. This is my easy week of training, so short intervals and I will do an easy run tomorrow, and post my distance.

Easy week...a new concept for me...I think I like it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl View Post
    Two miles of intervals for me today. This is my easy week of training, so short intervals and I will do an easy run tomorrow, and post my distance.

Easy week...a new concept for me...I think I like it!!!!
    I'm on easy week too this week. I love easy weeks. I was supposed to run yesterday, but I ditched it. the idea of an easy week is to set out some light recovery workouts and if at any point you don't really want to do a workout, you can skip it, guilt free!! So, that's what I did last night. I caught up with some friends and cooked a nice meal, it was fabulous. So no mileage for me yet this week, well, not running anyway.