Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Winter cleaning

Winter cleaning

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have been cooped up to long. This Minnesota winter shall not keep me down! Biking in this weather won't break me to pieces, but it might hurt my bike. I bought a used bike, love it, and want to keep it around for a bit longer. But snow and sand on it? how do you guys clean off your bike without making a mess?

you do make a mess. you just clean it up afterwards.

I made this silly thing a few months ago for our team's manager because he couldn't believe that I actually cleaned my bike in the bathtub. What else can you do if you live in an apartment?!?! He and my teammates got a good laugh out of it.

While the shower may get the bike nice and clean, be careful with high water pressure around the bearings. Even "sealed" bearing are not impervious to water at pressure. And check that water is not getting inside your frame tubes. Try pulling out the seat post after a shower to check for internal moisture. Maybe it's fine, but would be good to know for sure.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Deb, you have raised some important issues about washing steel bikes. I normally put mine upside down, and do use a gentle stream from a garden hose for rinses. Do you always recommend removing the seatpost to check for internal moisture? If you find some do you just let it air dry open like that? Do you think I should uncouple my coupled bike? I just don't want my beutiful baby to rust. With my titanium bike I don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Triskeliongirl View Post
    Deb, you have raised some important issues about washing steel bikes. I normally put mine upside down, and do use a gentle stream from a garden hose for rinses. Do you always recommend removing the seatpost to check for internal moisture? If you find some do you just let it air dry open like that? Do you think I should uncouple my coupled bike? I just don't want my beutiful baby to rust. With my titanium bike I don't worry about it.
    A trickle or gentle stream should be all right, but avoid any more water than necessary around the bottom bracket or headset. Headsets are shaped so water stays out of the bearings when the bike is upright and rain is falling downward. I've never removed my seatpost to check for moisture, but I seldom ride in the rain and don't wash it with water. Someone on this site reported lots of water in their tubes after riding in a hurricane, so it can happen under rare conditions. For equus123, I'd recommend removing the seat post or bottom bracket after one of her bike's showers just to be sure that water isn't getting in. If one or two checks confirm that water isn't penetrating, she can rest easy. Otherwise she should find a gentler way to wash the bike. The other situation I'd worry about is with a bike on the roof at highway speeds in a heavy rain.

When I'm worried about water penetration, I open the bottom bracket and headset and repack them, since I don't have sealed bearings and the grease can get contaminated or washed out. If you find water inside your frame, you'd be much better off to open the seatpost, bottom bracket, and headset to get air circulation through the frame and dry it thoroughly. If you have couplers, I'd open them too. You can buy a spray can of frame-saver for steel frames to prevent rust. It's recommended annually for modern steel frames which have thinner tubing walls than the older frames.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Woohoo, so I'm not crazy!! All last summer I considered washing my bike in the bathtub, so I'm psyched to see that someone else has actually tried it

What I was thinking of doing was:

- Remove wheels
    - Place bike in tub with drain open
    - Turn on tap and use water to wet large sponge
    - Use sponge to dampen bike
    - Use another sponge and bucket of soapy water to actually wash bike
    - Turn tap back on and use first sponge to rinse bike
    - Remove bike from tub and towel dry
    - Throw it into the repair stand and clean drivetrain, etc as usual

Part of the reason I hesitated to do this last year was that I'd just had my bathroom re-modeled. At this point, the tub ain't so new anymore. I just got my pony back from the shop and it needs a good cleaning, so I think I'm gonna go ahead and try this out. Thanks for the reassurance, equus123!
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.