Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Angry What the &^%@! is this rattling

To disable ads, please log-in.

DH put my old alloy bottle cages on my new bike. Since the first ride there has been this rattling. It is so constant when we are on bumpy roads only, I am guessing it is the bottle cages. The cages are a few years old and I started having a problem with bottles coming loose in one a few months back.

Is it the cages? I want to get some carbon cages, but they are so pricey. Maybe just some new alloys that are not stretched? It is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me at this point.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Try rebending the alloy cage to snug it up. I have an old Novara alloy cage, and i just sqeezed it front-to-back a little. (didn't even take it off my commutermobile) My bottle didn't rattle anymore after that. (actually, I sqeezed it a little too hard and had to pull it open a bit more again so I could get the bottle in and out easier.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

You also might tighten up the screws holding the cages on.

Worked on my mysterious rattle.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Yea, give in a squeeze and take an allen wrench to the attacher thingies... that has worked for me in the past. You don't have to go carbon unless you like payin' the big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Geonz View Post
    Yea, give in a squeeze and take an allen wrench to the attacher thingies... that has worked for me in the past. You don't have to go carbon unless you like payin' the big bucks.
    Right on!

Unfortunately, bending and tightening hasn't worked! I am going to buy some new cages this weekend. I need some that are easier to get the bottles out of anyway, so new ones will serve a dual purpose. My new frame is smaller and it is hard to get one of them out with the cage I have now.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan