Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What do you consider bad weather for riding?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi,

Okay what do you all consider bad weather for riding? I figure if theres snow on the ground and its more then 2 inches and sticking and im sliding all over the rode forget it. If its pouring down rain or snowing and not sticking lets get it on! Now am I crazy? Also what about whats your "heat limit" how hot it too hot for you? I myself will ride if its 100 out but then again im also crazy and carry a 2 liter of water in a back pack with me at all times so who knows. Anyone?

-Kristen-

Limits

Well, I think my limit for riding is about 38C. If there's no wind when it's that hot, no way!

I'll bike in pretty much any type of weather. It's the heat though that gets to me.

If it's 38c-40C I might re think my ride & take the train home. I feel taking the train is wimping out but because there's no shade on my commute home, perhaps it's justified.

What do you think?

c

okay since im a dork and didnt pay attention to the conversion of celcius to ferenhight HELP! lol. isnt 32degrees farenheight 0 degrees celcius? lol. i dunno i give up. im talking 100 degrees farenheight and i would be okay get me over that and im dying. then again i was also living in fl for a while so that has a huge part to play in it. lol. anyways. i figure my cut off for coldness tho would have to be just about freezing point. i dont think i could handle it much colder. lol.

-Kris-

Well, I managed to get out in the (to us PNW'ers) extreme cold of about 27 degrees Fahrenheit about 9 or ten days ago. I don't think I went out at all when it was actually snowing, but I did get out when there were great chunks of ice still on the road, and snow/ice mixed on the trail.

I actually found it to be quite refreshing! Slow, because parts of the trail were quite slick, but I didn't have too many problems getting out there on the mountain bike. I don't know if I could handle any - temps, though.
    Rain is not a deterrent here in the Pacific Northwest. If it were, virtually no one would ride a bike.

On the other hand, my extreme high temperature is probably the upper 80's. I get migraines from excessive heat, so I am quite leery of getting out there in the midday sun.

East Hill

When the temps go below 35F it's getting too cold for me. Compared to many here, this makes me a wimp! I haven't found my upper temp limit yet; usually I ride outdoor in the AM before it gets too hot.

Usually I won't go out if it's already raining as I'm paranoid about losing my traction and crashing.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Well ladies, when it gets below 40F in Phoenix, it is cold. We are not very well adjusted. It is easier for me to ride in 100F then in 33F and that's the way it's been forthe last 3 weeks in the mornings. But I shouldn't whine, prego women ride indoors anyway. That's my bad weather.

Ditto what Lenusik said!!

I'm such a WIMP!!! I was FREEZING at 40 degrees last week! In fact I have a 56 miler to do this morning and I'm putting it off till it warms up a bit so I don't have to pile on the clothes!
    Now as for the summer... I'm pretty good in the heat. I'll go out up to about 112 f as long as it's late afternoon and I know the sun will be setting soon. In the summer I usually go out about 5:30 pm and ride until dusk. Usually my biggest worry when it's that hot is that my tires are going to explode!
    I guess I'm a psycho but I actually LIKE to ride in the heat... go figure?!
    I guess thats why I never looked back when I left soggy nor cal for Phoenix.

I am also a weather wimp. I don't want to ride if I'm not going to enjoy it.

Temps in the 40s make my eyes freeze up and tear like crazy, even with my close fitting glasses. I've ridden in light rain. That's not too bad. But I've also been caught in a downpour on an organized ride and it was he!! Had the right clothes and stayed warm, but couldn't see well through my glasses, hit water-filled potholes, got splashed intentionally over and over by people passing too close in cars. Scary . Not a SAG vehicle to be found the entire time.

It's raining off and on today. Can't complain as we really need the rain. I'll be riding my trainer - if I can get rid of this headache I woke up with .
    Health is the thing that makes you feel like now is the best time of the year--Franklin Pierce Adams

The wind is the biggest predictor of whether I will ride or not.

The Spring westerly here is often gale-force, and not only is that damn dangerous, it also means a head wind climbing back home.

The second biggest predictor is rain - too much and its too dangerous on my slicks to ride (remember I have to descend/climb 600' to get anywhere or get back home) plus its difficult to see... plus if there's a winter chill factor involved, nah... I don't have the cold weather gear some of you gals have, besides, I don't like the cold and (I'm with five one on this.....) cycling is supposed to be fun - yeah?

Heat? 38'C (thats just over 100'F Eros) is about the hottest I have ridden in - and that was last week. There was a nice breeze coming up the valley, so that prolly made a huge difference.
    That was midday and usually I avoid/minimise riding in summer between 10am and 2pm because of the UV. So I may not find out if I can ride in anything hotter...
    Last edited by RoadRaven; 01-27-2007 at 08:28 AM.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

i rode 35 miles two weeks ago at 29 degrees F, it was cold but i'm learning what to wear, mostly the issue is feet.

in the summer - no limit - i LOVE the HEAT! it's never too hot for me to ride.

being a total bike geek, i love the tan line from the shorts that shows off when i'm wearing my work shorts (which are shorter than my bike shorts). i dont like the farmer tan on my arms so i mostly wear sleeveless jerseys in the heat.
    laurie

Brand New Orbea Diva | Pink | Specialized Ruby
    2005 Trek Madone Road | Pink | Ruby
    1998 Trek 5200 Road | Blue | Specialized Jett
    ???? Litespeed Catalyst Road | Silver | Terry Firefly

For me it's road conditions more than the temp itself. I don't have the clothing for riding in much less than 0 celcius. Did 10k for fun on new year's eve and my toes and nose were pretty darn cold by the end. It was -5 I think. Other than that, I haven't been riding outdoors since early November because there's too much ice, snow, and gravel on the roads.

Upper limits - I don't love riding in over 35 (about 100 or so) but I do it. I especiall hate hills in that temp because I am working so hard and going so slow, there's no wind to cool me off. But I do it because I live where I do.

Ideal day is 25 degrees, sunny, no wind.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

I'm in 5-1 and RoadRaven's camp. It's supposed to be fun. If I'm cold, wet, miserable, I find it hard to believe I'm having fun--regardless of the activity.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkEros07 View Post
    Hi,

Okay what do you all consider bad weather for riding? I figure if theres snow on the ground and its more then 2 inches and sticking and im sliding all over the rode forget it. If its pouring down rain or snowing and not sticking lets get it on! Now am I crazy? Also what about whats your "heat limit" how hot it too hot for you? I myself will ride if its 100 out but then again im also crazy and carry a 2 liter of water in a back pack with me at all times so who knows. Anyone?

-Kristen-
    What's interesting to me is that you will ride in such extreme cold, but only mention 100 as a high. Is that the highest you'll go? My upper limit is 105, although if it goes higher and I am stuck out there so be it. But my lowest limit is 35, but prefer over 40. No rain (unless it started after I left), no snow, for safety reasons.

here its never good weather, or very very very rare.

i'll ride in most anything, here wind the winds pick up then its hard. i usually don't ride when its over 20/25 mph.

i'll ride in the rain as long as the winds aren't high and same with snow.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

I am probably the wimpiest person on TE! I generally won't ride below about 60F -- chillier than that, I hike, run on trails, or hit the gym. I ride on the trainer all winter and have only ridden outside once since October, when we had a gorgeous 70 degree day a couple weekends ago. I also won't ride above about 94F in the summer. Fortunately, we have a LOT of days in NC between spring and fall that fall within these limits. Only a few days each summer are hotter (and I'm usually at work when the temp is that high at mid-day anyway).

I don't mind one bit taking the winters off and refuse to feel guilty! I quite enjoy concentrating on hiking for a few months and riding indoors to get a good cardio workout and keep from getting saddle sore in the spring. DH and I used to ride outdoors all winter, and I hated it. It was windy, I couldn't breathe, my nose ran like a faucet, I just couldn't get motivated to ride in the cold....I feel so relieved I don't make myself do that anymore.

I also won't ride in the rain, snow, or ice unless it's completely unavoidable; e.g., I rode in the rain a couple of times during a nine-day self-supported tour. Not much fun.... I don't mind hiking in the rain so much since with the proper rain gear and waterproof hiking boots, I actually stay dry. On the bike, it seems impossible not to end up with water in your shoes and all over your face, glasses, etc. The faster you go, the wetter you get!

WIMP AWARD WINNER HERE!!!!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow