Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Velobambina View Post
    SheFly is our official Queen of adverse conditions, going out in the dark when it's 15 degrees outside! She can ride on ice covered ponds, for crying out loud!!!!!!!
    LOL! Thanks, VB!

At my house, we ride all year. And in New England, that means some pretty adverse conditions. I think the coldest ride I have done was a couple of years ago - it was -5F when we started . The only reason we actually stop riding is if we have a lot of snow - then we switch to x-country skiing and/or snow shoeing instead. This hasn't happened in the past couple of years though.

We did an awesome road ride yesterday. Temp here was about 37F (which was bikini weather compared to the previous two days). Only trouble was the roads were completely salt laden. We had it everywhere when we got home!

Will likely go out and hit the ponds again tonight - just for fun .

BTW - I may be great in the cold/ice/snow, but I DON'T like the heat...

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Yesterday was close to a record for me with 7 degrees (F) and 20 mph winds. Four is my personal best... but both times, I wasn't heading towards hypothermia... once past the three minute chill at the beginning, I warmed up and yes, it was fun. I don't mean "It's fun because when it's over I can tell a story about it," either; fun in exactly the same way riding when it's twenty degrees warmer is fun.
    Could be the Goretex, though I'm very grateful to the fella who decided he didn't need it when he retired and gave it to me!
    (AMAZING to ride on ponds!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by PinkBike View Post
    i rode 35 miles two weeks ago at 29 degrees F, it was cold but i'm learning what to wear, mostly the issue is feet.

in the summer - no limit - i LOVE the HEAT! it's never too hot for me to ride.

being a total bike geek, i love the tan line from the shorts that shows off when i'm wearing my work shorts (which are shorter than my bike shorts). i dont like the farmer tan on my arms so i mostly wear sleeveless jerseys in the heat.
    Do you work for UPS? You said work shorts that is why I ask. See I wear shorts for my work too cause I am a sand sculptor. I personally think I look goofey with the the bike short tan line but maybe I shouldn't!

I don't like to go out when it is raining cause people drive bad enough in the rain and snow. I figure I am just adding to it and don't want to get hit.
    And it does not get to cold here so that is not an issue. Except a few weeks ago when it was in the 3o's in the morning. I am a wimpy Cali girl.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

brandi - i'm an aircraft mechanic at USAirways. since we're based in phoenix (when we were America West) they let us opt for wearing shorts. some of us wear shorts all winter, with the "California look" - shorts and a sweatshirt.

dont feel goofy about the tan lines - they are a source of pride, an identifier as a bicyclist
    laurie

Brand New Orbea Diva | Pink | Specialized Ruby
    2005 Trek Madone Road | Pink | Ruby
    1998 Trek 5200 Road | Blue | Specialized Jett
    ???? Litespeed Catalyst Road | Silver | Terry Firefly

I love to ride in the rain. Its actually verry fun for me. Someone asked about why I said 100 is because I haven't riden in anything higher then that. I live in michigan and the humidity does get to me sometimes but I keep going! if its icy out tho I wont ride. like right now there would be no way id be out and about. the ice is just too bad. snow doesn't bother me as much tho i have fallen a few times but nothing serious! lol. its fun no matter what i just love to ride. i will ride anytime anywhere as long as theres no ice and the winds are extreem!! lol. anyways.

-Kris-

For temperature, I don't have a limit in michigan weather. The temps here aren't too extreme, so I'll ride in whatever. This year I had a night road ride at 12F and felt perfectly fine once I got moving. The heat here only gets mid-upper 90s with high humidity and I'll ride. I think the heat has more of a effect on me than cold.

I don't ride in heavy rain or snow at all. If it's a really light rain, I'll ride road or trail (assuming the trails are dry). Light snow, I'll ride trails. I don't recall ever having strong enough winds here to make me not go out or regret going out. It just isn't something we have much of. Last week we rode with 23mph winds which I found pretty tough, but REALLY fun on the way back! I'm guessing 30mph winds would be my cutoff point.

My limit temp wise I haven't figured that out yet, because it hasn't got cold enough here yet. Lowest ride so far in a balmy 18F. For snow depth I know that 3inches is still rideable but 13 is not, so maybe 6 or 8. Then again it depends on the kind of snow too. Is it the light and fluffy kind you would rather ski on or the wet and heavy that gives people heart attacks shoveling.
    With the heavy I would imagine anything over 2 would be difficult, 4 just possible any more yikes, can you say max heart rate.

I'm with Emily and Maureen - fair southern flower

To answer the original question - "thunder and lightening, very very frightening" and hurricanes are out too.

We start training for the MS tour in July, when the temperature is around 95F and 95% humidity. And we're riding after work, not in the mornings when it might be a little better...

Count me in on the running for a whimp award! But when it come to what passes for "cold winter" in these southern climes, I want to stay warm. So I suppose my lower limit is something around 50F, but I have riden when it was colder, but the sun was out.

I draw the line at lightening, especially riding on top of a levee, where me and my bike are the tallest things out there.
    Beth

Oops, of course a thunderstorm. Can't think of much else that truely temps fate while cycling, than to be on a metal bike during a thunderstorm. Especially if you are possibly going to be the tallest thing around.

I can't wait I'm thinking about going out really early around 6am on Monday the low here is predicted to be less then 5F. Ok it will only be for about a mile, but just so I can say I did it, and thus forces my guy riding buddies to try it.

I haven't really found my 'limits' yet either. Since I didn't start riding until I moved here to NC where it's pretty mild, I haven't had much of a chance.

I won't ride in an ice storm, or in nasty lightning...or winds much above 25mph (if it can be avoided), but other than that, I'm game.

I regularly ride in temps above 100F degrees (and 99% humidity) in the summer here. In the winter, we haven't had snow yet (to speak of) but I've ridden a few rides below freezing and was quite comfortable. Like I mentioned above, it's quite mild here. I did grow up a nothern girl though...so I don't see cold temps holding me back should I ever encounter them! I've also had a few rides in torrential rains...not easy, but kind of a fun challenge!

Fog will be the last straw to get me in the car if it's also threatening to precipitate or the roads still have vestiges of ice and slush. Tornado warnings and thunderstorms, too.

Today it was six with a 21 mph wind coming in; gosh, now it's a fat fourteen. Wind still 21 - it'll be behind me, so I'll go faster but I'm warmer charging into the wind.

The tripshould be broken up by stopping at the LBS for the inside ride... now where's that T-shirt so I don't have to soak the bottom layer...

Bump; pretty good blog on this site here:

https://www.primalwear.com/blogs/new...weather-riding
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

If it gets below 40 degrees fahrenheit, that's when I call it quits.

There is no bad weather. Just inadequate clothing. ~ Old Swedish Saying.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/