Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I would go with any of the Aerobic Base Builder ones. They run anywhere from 70-90 minutes. Another choice would be the virtual reality series where it's like you're riding along with Coach Troy. The autumn one is 45 min. The Lake Placid one is 3 hrs, but it can be broken down into sections that you can do at different times. The Arizona one is 2 different 1 hr UPHILL b*tt kickers. All of them are supposed to help build your aerobic base and endurance.

Thank you Roadie Gal! I will look at the Aero Blders and pick one.

Tracy---See the thread on riding at night & invest in a headlight/tail light!

I am an avid Spinervals fan but I resort to using them only when I can't ride outside. That means heavy rain, snow and/or ice. To be honest, the Spinervals are tougher than riding outdoors, so that helps me get up the gumption to bundle up and head outside when it's bitter cold.

BTW, you might want to look into the Hardcore 100, Coach Troy's indoor Century. You can break it down into shorter rides and doing the entire 5 hours is a great endurance test. You really can't go wrong w/any of Troy's workouts. The hill and strength-focused workouts went a long way in improving my ability to power up the hills. Hillacious has a high "fun" factor--good variety--even though it's a killer.

Question Best 1st Spinnerval DVD 2Buy?

I have never done any of the Spinnerval DVDs, but was trying to figure out which one to buy. I only have one DVD, CTS "Time Trial" that came with my cycleops trainer. When looking at the Spinnervals, I noticed they had difficulty ratings. Like "No Mercy" was rated a 10. What a good basic one to get started? Thx!

The Uphill Grind is one of my favorites. It's rated 9.5. But I find it easier than No Slackers Allowed, which is a 9.0. No Slackers has lots of short intervals and it is not as easy to get into a rhythm. It's done a lot for enabling me to get up to speed quickly though.

V.

PS I have 12 different Spinervals DVDs.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Veronica Thx 4 Input

Thx Veronica ,for the input . Wow! That's alot of Spinerval DVDs. Bet that sure helps from getting board inside when it nasty outside.

Quote Originally Posted by TracyinMesa View Post
    I want to get one of the DVDs. I am told I need to do interval training to improve. Im 47 started riding back in mid-June. I do weight training 2x week.
    Had been riding 3-4x per week with long ride on Sunday. I did Tour de Scottsdale a month ago. 70miles tons of hills, finished but died at the end. After about the 45mile mark, if there are good hills or head wind, I'm dead. Can't get up the last couple hills w/o stopping! I average about 16mph on long rides(50) w/ hills. Competition will only be me vs. me! I just want to finish w/o stopping or whinning! I would like to work up to a century in a couple of months. Its too dark now to ride at night or before work so I need to train inside. Ladies which spinerval would be the best for me?? Thanks in advance.
    I see it's been a while and no one has replied, so I'll give you a few suggestions. If you're working more on endurance than speed right now I'd go with either the Aero Base Builder series (1-4 are all different, 5 is a compilation) or the Virtual Reality series. Then there's the Hardcore 100. If you do all 3 of the DVDs it'll be over 5 hours and theoretically 100 miles. It's a lower intensity one that's specifically designed for endurance. Beware, it's much more boring than the others.

The Uphill Grind and Hillacious are good shorter ones (about 45 min) for getting better at hills.

Sufferorama, Have Mercy, Zoot Challenge and a few others are mostly high intensity intervals for speed. You could probably skip those until you want to work specifically on speed.