Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Bruno, I'm Canadian but of heavy Scottish heritage. My lineage is mostly Cameron with the seat of our clan being near Fort William. My DH and I went there in the spring of 2005 and I loved it. it truly felt like going home. I particularly loved the hand-pulled beers. Mmmmmmm.

For us North Americans it seems like no big deal to drive 8 to 10 hours to go to a ride or race. But in the UK, it's considered really far if you travel more that 3 or 4 hours in a day. When DH and I drove from Sheffield to Fort William in one day, all our Yorkshire friends said we were crazy.

I love Scotland. I will go back one day. I'd like to climb Ben Nevis and explore Glencoe more thoroughly.

[QUOTE=Wahine;165462]
    For us North Americans it seems like no big deal to drive 8 to 10 hours to go to a ride or race. But in the UK, it's considered really far if you travel more that 3 or 4 hours in a day. When DH and I drove from Sheffield to Fort William in one day, all our Yorkshire friends said we were crazy.
    QUOTE]

Sounds crazy to me

So does this though...

http://www.mtbtransuk.co.uk/scotland/

Bron

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno28 View Post
    Apart from Glasgow, where you can see the buildings, most of Scotland is just a blur on google earth.

Obviously, the powers that be don't think it's worth keeping us under satellite surveillance....little do the know, heh, heh.
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
    The matter will be looked into.

signed
    margo double-oh-49 , OHMS

and if you think i'm bullsh--ing you what is 007 squared. Proof enuff??

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Noooo, Scottish food is GOOOOOOD!

(mmm, merangues with heavy whipped cream from a little shop in Kirkaldy. Sausage rolls with canned baked beans and canned spinach. Tea, lots of cream and sugar. Lyles golden syrup. Black pudding. Semolina with strawberry jam. mashed potatoes with mince gravy. neeps. sigh...) (Fife schools fed you well back in the late 1970's)
    I just remember Paige (step-sister) complaining about the lack of salads and other fresh veggies and fruit -- that was what she found difficult about the food there. And lots of fatty meat...or was that in England (she split her exchange program between a semester in Scotland and a summer in England).

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

My husband and I are thinking about doing a walking trip in Scotland in the fall (we've got enough points to do two free biz class tickets on British Air finally) We'd do a cycling trip, but we thought that with racing and all it might be nice to do our time off the bike on vacation and the walking tour we did in England years ago was so much fun (we did the Dales Way). I've got MacGregors in my background - though something happened in Scotland many generations ago that made them not only leave, first to Ireland then to America, but change their name to Gregg too. My British friend likes to tease me that they were horse theives..
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    I've got MacGregors in my background - though something happened in Scotland many generations ago that made them not only leave, first to Ireland then to America, but change their name to Gregg too.
    ohno!.....not the MacGregors.
    If it's not one thing it's another

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno28 View Post
    ohno!.....not the MacGregors.
    Don't ask me why- all I know is that he was a trouble maker- the rumors are that the same fellow was kicked out (or otherwise had to leave quickly for some sort of scandalous reason or other) of both Scotland and Ireland. My grandmother did some digging around a few years ago to do up her geneology. She originally was looking at Scotland to find the MacAfoos's, but it turns out the Greggs were the Scots and MacAfoos, or Macafoos, whatever, was actually a misspelling of Muckenfus - a German or possibly Pennsylvania Dutch name.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Here's a fine Scottish song by the bard - Robert Burns - and a fine Scottish singer for those of you missing the motherland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUs-5dHFksw

A bike ride in Glasgow you say? I'd love to join in, if I can sort out transport and time and money. I'll think about it. Could you send me a link to any info about it? Glasgow isn't that hard to get to by train, but I would need somewhere to stay over night as the train journey takes most of the day each way.

As for Burn's night, we did a belated one on Saturday with a friend from Glasgow and several international friends. Always fun to scare people with haggis and then see them very surprised when they discover it is actually quite tasty.

Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Trek beat me to it with the link. I've been away on a two day residential management development course and am still recovering from the ensuing waves of nausea.

Trek is just trying to make amends for her prevous faux pas in confusing Scotland and England. She is now much better informed

PM me if you have any questions - about the ride not the management course, obviously.

Hi Bruno

Aye we may be the English but we love the Scots, well I do at least...
    even if longshanks didnae#
    I am doing JOGLE next year care to join me
    Scarlet
    xx
    Life is Great!

John O'Groats to Lands End 1000 miles+ 12 days July- August 2008

http://www.bhf.org.uk/sponsor/sandrascyclingJOGLE

Argh! Not tablet! I work with a Scottish lady and the recipie, if you can call it that, makes me tremble. Basically it's sugar and condensed milk isn't it?

Knotted, I also used to work with a lady from the Kingdom of Fife (she was a Fyffer, not Scottish). The guy that writes the John Rebus books, Ian Rankin, wrote a very interesting non-fiction book reflecting on Scotland, its people, diet and dark character. He is also from Fife and writes about the special nature of the old kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Argh! Not tablet! I work with a Scottish lady and the recipie, if you can call it that, makes me tremble. Basically it's sugar and condensed milk isn't it?
    That's just the chemistry.
    Once you take into account the physics ie heating, boiling, beating and cooling; it starts to look more of a nutritional proposition.
    Once you have actually tasted it you can really appreciate the way it can be fitted in as a dietary supplement.

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

Are there any reputable tour companies for biking around Scotland? Sounds like a dream vacation!