Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carbon water bottle cages

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone have any experience with carbon water bottle cages?

Performance makes some cheap ones under their Forte brand.
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_id=4342
    Some of the reviews make them look somewhat breakable though.

That Forte Theta is kinda cute. I've only ever used aluminum cages. But if I had a carbon frame and wanted to match it, I'd be hankerin' for that Theta.

(I have a gold lugged steel frame and gold-button Elite cages.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I have carbon water bottle cages on my road bike. I've only used Profile Design Karbon Kages and the Rav X Carbon Cages. I like them but they leave black smudges/marks on the water bottles. I've not had any issues with these breaking. I don't have any experience with Forte, but the price sure makes it look worth trying them out.
    Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be. ~Grandma Moses

I have Arundel Sideloader carbon cages on my compact frame and I really like them. No problems with durability so far.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Please see attached photo.

I have these carbon water bottle cages -- inexpensive no name, light weight, look great, and have had no durability issues. I would recommend them. You can find them at:

http://www.chucksbikes.com/store/

Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carbon water bottle cage.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	2554  
    BAT
    Satisfaction lies in the effort not the attainment. Full effort is full victory.
    -- Mahatma Gandhi

I had the 'alpha' carbon cage from Performance on my first bike (because they were easier to get the bottle in and out of and I was just learning good balance). When I switched to a bike where I put the bottles behind my saddle, they sucked. If the bottles were full and I hit a bumpy road at a good clip, they'd fall out. I gave them to my husband and he said they rattled (I never noticed).

He now uses this one and swears by it:

Quote Originally Posted by Trekhawk View Post
    I have Arundel Sideloader carbon cages on my compact frame and I really like them. No problems with durability so far.
    me, too.... i couldn't use regular ones on my ruby... the frame was too small.... but i love my arundels.... they are curvy and sexy, too, IMO....

Last edited by caligurl; 01-25-2007 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caligurl View Post
    me, too.... i couldn't use regular ones on my ruby... the frame was too small.... but i love my arundels.... they are curvy and sexy, too, IMO....
    Yep thats them - I knew you had good taste Cali.
    Amelia Earhart

My DH loves his Bontrager carbon cages, I just have Elite alloy, although they match the bike perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekhawk View Post
    Yep thats them - I knew you had good taste Cali.
    lol! why, thank you! and you have good taste, too! great minds think alike!!!!!

Arundels are the best!

Really, they are. They hold better than any cages I've tried (Profile, Elite & no name), yet bottles are easy to get in and out. The Sideloader cage is the best thing since sliced bread for small, compact geo frames.

You guys make the Arundels sound pretty appealing. My new bike is apparently ready for me to pick up (though there's still a ton of snow here so it will be a while before I actually ride it) so I'm thinking about this again.

With the sideloader, do you have to pull the bottle out of the side that's open (in other words would I have to train myself to use both hands to reach for a bottle) - or can you pull the bottle out of the cage from either direction?

New Bike??? Whatcha getting?
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

you have to pull from the open side.... so the "back" one you pull out with your right hand and the "front" one you pull out with your left hand...

i prefer to pull out with my right.... so i drink that one first... then move them (hold one bottle while holding my handlebar and then pull out the other one and put the full bottle in the "back" holder, the empty on in the "front)

Quote Originally Posted by anakiwa View Post
    With the sideloader, do you have to pull the bottle out of the side that's open (in other words would I have to train myself to use both hands to reach for a bottle) - or can you pull the bottle out of the cage from either direction?
    Yep as Cali said you have to pull them out from the open side. Trust me you can do it - if I can do it anyone can.
    Amelia Earhart