Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

why do I bruise so easily?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a feeling the answer is "that's just the way it is," but ...

I have always bruised very easily. Combine that with an active lifestyle and a taste for contact sports, and I always look like a domestic abuse victim -- bruises up and down my legs after every mtb ride, for example.

Granted, they're great conversation pieces, and they make it seem like I'm a lot more bada$$ than I probably am, but still ... it's getting to be tiresome.

Is there anyone on these forums who also bruises easily and has been able to find any info on why that would be the case and maybe even (dare I hope?) nutrition, etc changes that might minimize the bruising?
    monique

Re: why do I bruise so easily?

Originally posted by bounceswoosh

Is there anyone on these forums who also bruises easily
    I bruise like a peach! It has been YEARS since I have been completely bruise-free. I have at least one bruise somewhere on my body at all times! Conversation piece? Yeah, I guess so, but I try to blend in wherever I can. And a purple, black, blue, green and yellow splotch isn't great for blending.

In the winter I wear dark pantyhose a lot. That camouflages a little, but summertime is a time for lots of skin. And for me skin means bruises or road rash. I don't fall every time I mountain bike, but I'm pretty aggressive, so things happen. When I'm on my bike or with bike friends, it's all good. But I hate to be all black and blue at an event like a friend's daughter's wedding... Oh well...

One thing that I have found helps keep the bruising to a minimum is to ice the area as soon as possible. But that doesn't really work when you crash at the 5 mile mark of a 20 mile ride.... I just say wear the bruises proudly. You've earned them.

Blood Type?

I just read an article, people with type O blood bruise more easily that those with B or A. Type A's bruise the least. Other factors are high blood pressure, or if you take asprin, ibruprofin (show me a cyclist that doesn't take vitimin I!). I used to take Ginko Biloba, but stopped 'cause I started bruising horribly!

Here's their solutions:
    1. Apply direct pressure with ice to constrict the blood vesssels

2. Elevate the injured body part higher than your heart (I have visions of us all doing shoulder stands when we bang our knees.....)

3. Eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables.

The full article is in the June 2004 Shape magazine.

Yeah, it's hard to ice things mid-trail.

Ooh. I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know my bloodtype. I wonder if that's it. My mom is O, and she bruises all the time, too.

I've been eating fruits and veggies like it's going out of style lately ... no change that I've noticed!

Thanks for that article recap.
    monique

From webmd.com....

Eat a variety of foods to avoid dietary deficiencies. Nutritional deficiencies of vitamins C, K, or B12 or folic acid can affect blood clotting.
    Include a daily selection of:
    Whole-grain and enriched breads, cereals, and grain products.
    Vegetables.
    Fruits.
    Milk, cheese, and yogurt.
    Meats, poultry, fish, eggs, dried beans and peas, and tofu.

Avoid dietary supplements that may increase bruising, particularly if you take a blood-thinning medication. Dietary supplements that may increase bruising include fish oil, vitamin E, garlic, ginger, and ginkgo biloba.

Hrm.

I think I'm pretty good on the "daily selection" bit. When I was tracking my diet, the only one I really fell short on was Vitamin D. Practically everything I eat has garlic in it, and often ginger, but presumably not in supplement-type quantities.

Anyway, thank you for that snippet. For some reason, web searches on this topic haven't panned out for me.
    monique

I too bruise really easily -
    whoa- you guys should've seen my technicolour thigh after the endo!
    and I had - well, more of a green eye than a black eye.

But I do bruise easily- I also heal incredibly quickly.
    Sometimes I think that the more fatty tissues you have, the easier you bruise- but that was just a thought and not based on any scientific evidence- other than personal (on me) observations.
    for example- a blow on my calf- which is incredibly muscled, produces no bruise- but one on my thigh- also muscly but with a deep layer of fat- produces a doozy!

I eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies- I don't think I am lacking in any major vitamin - I don't think it's diet related.

I just know that at the gym, sometimes instructors come up to me and ask if everything's okay at home.....nice of them to ask but I'm just carrying bikes up or down the stairs- the seat post is just high enough that the nose of the saddle whaps me in the biceps and it looks like somebody's grabbed me...

I think it's a common problem.
    I like to accept them as badges of honour...or like a symbol of a private club...

heheheheh!

Kimba
    Whe you come to the end of all you know-
    and you are about to step off into the darkness
    faith is knowing one of two things will happen-
    there will be something solid to stand on-
    or you will be taught to fly...

I'd agree on the badge of honor.... I had great fun showing off my thigh after a spill!

I typically have several bruises on my legs and I have no idea where they come from.

Though, I'm nothing compared to a friend - her bruises are bad enough that she gets questioned about abuse!

What worked for her was taking a B-12 (? - not entirely sure about which 'B' vitamin) suppliment. She tried it because it had worked for one of her co-workers.

But I suspect that the reasons are different for every person.

Vitamin K?

I read an interesting article on how vitamin K helps to stimulate coagulation of blood in injuries. Perhaps a dificiency in Vit. K would let you bleed longer, resulting in a bigger bruise?

I am a vegetarian.
    My blood type is A+.
    I can ride 40+ miles a day.
    I am not a princess.

I bruise like a ripe Peach.

I don't think there's a certain requirement you have to fill before you bruise, other than some sort of force on your body.

Rejoice in your bruises, ladies!
    You only have this body for a short time, so have fun!

I LOVE the looks I get when I walk into a public place with a shiner.

Bruise like a bananna

ME TOOO!!!!!!

I've always been this way. I am VERY fair skinned, I've heard pale people bruise easier. I can't remember my blood type, but its something negative. hmmm

I seem to constatntly bruise my lower legs somehow with my pedals. I don't know how I do it! Just shows up the next day.
    Crediamo in te, bici!

I bruise very easily too, and heal slowly. My massage therapist suggested I try rubbing Vitamin E cream on the bruises to speed up the healing. Whether it's the Vitamin E itself or the fact that the rubbing helps move the blood around, it seems to work at least a little. I agree with snapdragen that ice helps too, especially if you can ice right away after the fall/collision/whatever caused the bruise. For really bad bruises, avoid hot baths or heat packs until the swelling goes down--otherwise you're just drawing more blood to the area.

you look at me and i bruise! i have more bruises lately (that are finally going away) from my minor clipless mishaps.. however i have others.... smaller.. that have replaced them.. hmmmm

the strangest one is the bruise on my tailbone????? must be from my workouts.. cuz i certainly don't sit that high on my bike! lol!

p.s. A+ blood.. very very light skinned
    Last edited by caligurl; 07-13-2004 at 12:14 PM.

I can go to bed bruiseless and wake up with bruises. I am A+ and very fair skinned.

That being said I am going to make an odd sounding suggestion. I suggest a blood test to check your androgen levels. I have PCOS and bruising is very common with it. If the result is within normal range you know you are not bruising because of endocrine issues.

It may not be the best accepted idea, but lots of bruising--and some unexplainable--with slow healing could point to other things.

The blood thinners idea (apsrin, etc) is very good too, and something I would look at first.