Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Unhappy A little confused...

To disable ads, please log-in.

So the other day I was at the gym and a friend talked me into joining in on a spinning class. I absolutely loved the whole experience and want to start going a few times a week.. but, seeing as how I was kind of thrown into it, I have some questions.

1.) I'm really trying to slim down for the dreadful bathing suit season and I'm wondering if this class would be a good way to lose some weight.

2.) I happened to notice that some of the people in the class had legs that were a little on the bulky side. Will it make my legs bulky?

3.) Being that we are mostly using our legs, does spinning help with any other areas of the body? (My stomach and arms need a good bit of work!)

4.) How many times a week should I take the class?

I know these questions may seem a bit remedial to some of you, but I really am interested in taking the class regularly.. I just don't want to slow down my tiny bikini efforts.

Thanks for any help.

spin class

1) if you are trying to lose weight you need a comination of proper exercise including cardio, resistance and flexibility as well as good eating. each one alone will not do it

2) spinning will not make your legs bulky that being said, the way fat loss occurs on ones body really depends on the body. so you might gain some muscle before the fat comes off. alsoooo...see 1). if you eat unhealthy you can still put on weight even though you exercise

3) cardio workouts help with fat loss all over the body. when done properly (see 1).

4) depends on your goals and experience. exercise guidelines are to accumulate 30 minutes each day of cardio, but thats for general health.

smile

H
    "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."-Moliere

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

Shorty's Adventure - Blog

I have been spinning for 2 years and it convinced me to get on a road bike.
    I can tell you that the interval training that a good spinning class provides is the best way to get fit, burn fat and increase the lean muscle to fat ratio.
    I think instructors probably vary a good deal, but I have found spinning to be a great cardio workout and it has enhanced my running training too as I have incorporated intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by noogs View Post
    So the other day I was at the gym and a friend talked me into joining in on a spinning class. I absolutely loved the whole experience and want to start going a few times a week.. but, seeing as how I was kind of thrown into it, I have some questions.

1.) I'm really trying to slim down for the dreadful bathing suit season and I'm wondering if this class would be a good way to lose some weight.

2.) I happened to notice that some of the people in the class had legs that were a little on the bulky side. Will it make my legs bulky?

3.) Being that we are mostly using our legs, does spinning help with any other areas of the body? (My stomach and arms need a good bit of work!)

4.) How many times a week should I take the class?

I know these questions may seem a bit remedial to some of you, but I really am interested in taking the class regularly.. I just don't want to slow down my tiny bikini efforts.

Thanks for any help.
    Short, sweet, and to the point...

1) Yes, cycling/spinning will help you lose weight as long as you don't eat like a horse while doing it.

2) Won't make your legs bulky. Could just be their genes to have larger quads or leg muscles plus you never know if they lift on top of it. Cycling/spinning will only slim you down.

3) Cycling works your whole body. You primarily use your legs, then your back, then your core, then your arms.

4) Take the class as many times as you want! Its working out - you can do it twice a week or 6 times a week. Its good to have at least one rest day per week to let your body recover. Every 4th week or so take it easy for the week to treat it as a Rest and Recover week. Just have fun and do whatever you want. The classes are usually only an hour so its plenty safe to do it frequently.

I think the biggest myth is trying to "lose weight" in certain places. The body absolutely does not work that way. Losing weight is losing body fat. You can ONLY lose body fat on your entire body. The more cardio or aerobic work you do, the more body fat you'll burn off. Cycling is a fantastic aerobic sport and will not only help you lose body fat effectively but your muscles will then appear to be more defined because the fat over top of them is decreased! I know that this is what you want for the summertime

Thanks so much, guys. I'm thinking that I will probably try to alternate spinning days with running/weight days. I really just need to shed about 15 lbs before the spring.. and I hope that this will help. I usually eat pretty healthy anyway, but does anyone have any good advice as far as eating to slim down?

For most people portion control is a big issue. You've said you feel you already have a health diet, rather than trying to change what you are eating, just cut down. Not drastically, but try to not go back for seconds (or thirds ) or if that's psychologically too hard, make each portion smaller. Eat until you are satisfied, but not full. Be sure to have a glass of water with your meal or better yet before you eat. Its harder than it sounds, but if you can do it you will likely lose weight.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N