Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    Found some info on the Brooks "S" saddles. My friend (just my size fyi) who is going to go to paris to ride in the Paris Brest Paris 1200 kilometer ride has gotten an "s" sized saddle after 2 years with a regular one. The reason is; it's too long. when she stands it gets in her way. Since women have shorter ARMS
    the saddle is shorter!!!!
    I thought that was rather profound..
    Why would having shorter arms put you closer to the saddle nose when you stand?? I would think it would do the opposite.
    I don't have long arms and the regular length saddles dont' get in my way when I stand. Of course I have mine shoved all the way back though. That's another thing- the S models have really short rails which means they wind up not being able to be pushed back at all, thus are closer to the bars in general.

Knot- My second new Brooks didn't hurt my butt during the breakin period much at all- no way like the sore butt of the first one! I think my behind is broken in already.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

because the space between the saddle stem and the handlebars is smaller, so there's less room for a long saddle
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    OK, so I've ridden two 20 mile rides so far on my new B68. I LOVE IT!!!!!

First- I got the non-S model B68 because I wanted the longer rails underneath so I could attach a Bagman rack for my largish saddle bags:
    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/saddlebag_support.asp
    The B68S has shorter rails and shorter nose and not enough room on the rails to attach the Bagman.
    The B68 and the B68S both have the same width in back for my sitbones, so that was not an issue. They are about an inch wider there than the B17S I had before.
    The width is PERFECT- I can feel how nice my butt fits on the saddle now, instead of being sort of "perched" half on the back and side edge frame of the B17S.
    Yes my sitbones are a little bit sore right now because the saddle has not yet formed to them- but I'm proof-hiding like mad and riding a lot. It's not nearly as bad as when i first got my new B17. Guess I have a "Brooks Butt" all broken in already.
    The longer nose is not proving to be significant at all. The old B17S nose stuck out about 1" in front while riding, and the new nose sticks out about 1 1/2" and doesn't seem to affect anything differently.

But the very BEST thing I have discovered, even better than the width issue, is that the new long rails allow me to shove the new saddle way further back- about 1 1/2" further back than my B17S with its short nose and short rails did. It's Heaven! Now I have more leg power and I feel like I can get "behind" my pedals as I ride- it is SO much more comfortable! Now I know how men get to feel comfy all the time on their bikes automatically.
    It's sort of like the difference between riding a unicyle and pedaling a paddle boat- exaggerated comparison but that's the feeling, getting way more power from my legs and feeling nicely stretched out and "behind" my crank. This back-shoved saddle made me bend in half just a bit more- but being on a Rivendell (where bars and seat are about the same height anyway) this did not feel bad at all- in fact it feels BETTER. I can just hunker down comfortably in the drops, scoot all the way back and spin up those hills now without burning out my legs.
    I made better time on my ride today- faster in the high gears on the flats, faster up the hills and less tired, and just way more comfortable in general.

I absolutely LOVE this saddle!!!!! My Bagman saddlebag support fits perfectly on it too, with room to spare.

Mimi- when you wonder how the saddles are without springs: My DH says springs are good for bikes that have you sitting more upright- like hybrids or comfort bikes. Upright posture puts most of your weight concentrated straight down your spine onto your butt, and you bounce along with most of your weight jarring down on your spine and butt. That's one reason hybrids are not so comfortable for long distance riding. Springs certainly help in that case.
    On road bikes, your more horizontal posture is such that it distributes your weight more evenly and horizontally along your hands, back, legs, and seat- so you don't need springs as much.
    Thanks for your review of the B68-- I'm going to order mine tonight. I can't wait until it gets here!!!!

Well, folks, I'm about to join the B-68 fold, I think!

Today, I went on a long-for-me ride of forty miles, and in the process went over 1000 miles on the ol' odometer. I've kind of been planning to reward myself in some way for hitting that milestone (it's about twice as far as I'd ever done in a *full* season before, and it's still early August! Yay me!), and it's also as good a time as any to accept the fact that the reason I *still* don't have dimples on the B-17 (which also has over 1000 miles on it now) is 'cause my butt bones are right on the metal frame. Not quite over the edge, but not inside on just leather, either. It's still comfier than any other saddle I've used, but I'm thinking it's not really the ideal model for me.

So...the plan is to put it on the mountain bike where it'll be fine for shorter distances or sell it, and get a B-68 for Edwina-the-Volpe, who is my commuting / trail riding / long distance cruisin' gal.

I placed the order at Wallingford for a nice honey B-68 like Lisa's. Can't wait to try it out - this may be a match made in heaven!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Be sure to keep us posted, Rose!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Will do! I'll have to take some pictures of my bike with the new saddle once I get it set up! I've really been enjoying the Brooks photo thread...

Sure would be nice if it arrived before next weekend, but that may be too much to hope. Soon, though!

Well - looks like I've finally reached the "keep" point on my Brooks B68! I rode 40 miles Saturday, 70 on Sunday - and I don't remember the saddle. Yay! As long as my chamois is as wide as the saddle, I'm good to go.