Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Kali,

I tried exactly the same experiment you describe. After years of gunked up chains, I started using Rock&Roll when I had a new one fitted.
    It was the best thing I ever did! Lovely clean chain and no degreasing (and no more sticky black glue wiping itself all over my bike kit).
    The stuff I used was Rock N Roll Absolute Dry. You need to make sure you thoroughly wipe the lube off the chain with a dry cloth (and wipe and wipe again) - I would also give it a good scrub with a toothbrush (to get in between the pins) before applying more lube and wiping clean. Always came up a treat.
    The downside is that it causes an unhealthy obsession with clean chains! But this is good!

I was living in NZ at the time though (no salt on roads), so to cope with the salt and crap on the roads here in the UK I'm about to try the same technique with Purple Extreme (which was originally used for lubricating oil rigs, so I'm hoping it'll cope with our salty roads!).
    Life is Good!

Snappy, I'm glad to hear about the results you got. I use the Rock'n'Roll Gold lube, at the recommendation of one of their customer service folks, and I usually wipe it until it leaves no residue when I swipe the chain with a finger (my version of the "white glove" test). I get my bike with it's new chain back from the shop this week, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out.

Please let us know what results you get from Purple Extreme. I heard about that brand right after I picked up my bottle of Rock'n'Roll and I've been curious about it ever since.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad JuJu View Post
    I have one of those chain cleaners that attach to your chain and clean it while it's still on the bike
    I used one of those for years - then I found ProLink. This is a cleaner/lube all-in-one. Now I just use a rag, and apply this once - let sit, and reapply/wipe off. Your chain comes out clean and lubricated.

Every month or so, I remove the chain from the bike, and let it soak in a degreaser for a day. Then I reinstall, and lube.

What's the proper way to dispose of the degreaser/cleaner solutions?
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by VeloChick View Post
    I used one of those for years - then I found ProLink. This is a cleaner/lube all-in-one. Now I just use a rag, and apply this once - let sit, and reapply/wipe off. Your chain comes out clean and lubricated.

Every month or so, I remove the chain from the bike, and let it soak in a degreaser for a day. Then I reinstall, and lube.
    I've been using the Rock'N'Roll Gold since i put on my current chain a couple of months ago. I've heard a few positive reports on ProLink and recently my LBS started stocking it. I was thinking of giving it a go when my current bottle of Rock'N'Roll is finished. Are these 2 products pretty much the same as each other? They both do the clean-and- lube-in-one thing, but is one better than the other?

I've thought about whether I should remove the chain and degease it occasionally, but the guy at the LBS says it shouldn't be necessary. But like some of you ladies, I'm almost obsessive about chain cleanliness.