Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Wobbly Wheel

Wobbly Wheel

To disable ads, please log-in.

I got my first flat on my new bike and of course it was on the back tire. It was an earring of all things that punctured my tire. I about never got the back wheel back on and now that I have it feels wobbly. What's the secret to getting it on so it doesn't wobble?

I hold my tire by the skewers and push them up into the dropouts of the forks. It's a lot easier if your bike doesn't have lawyer lips. Then clamp down the skewer. After retensioning the brake, I give the wheel a spin to see how it looks.

V.

Now I'm thinking it's the tube and not the wheel and that I must have done something wrong and it inflated unevenly somehow. Is that possible? The new tube is a self-sealing tube. When I try to deflate it the sealant starts seeping out.

Are you holding the tire so the valve stem is up? That will cause all the sealant to go to the bottom. I also use self sealing tubes. That green goo is kind of gross.

Could you have put a fold in the tube when you put it in?

V.

I think I got it! No more wobbles. I was finally able to deflate the tire and be sure the tube was inflated correctly and also do some more adjusting. Now it feels like my bike again.

Thanks for your help, Veronica!