Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hey Boston Gals?????

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am going to a conference the first week of April...the conference will have me tied up for everyday that i am there from morning to night. My question is, since I have the option to stay an extra day on my dime (the hotel) is it worth it...and to see/go to what????

I would really appreciate any suggestions...

**I will be at the Hynes Converence Center on Boylston Street and staying at the Sheritan on Dalton Street.
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

Sure, if the price is right. Since you'll be in downtown Boston, the easiest thing to do, if you like historic things, is to walk the Freedom Trail. You just follow a red line in the sidewalk and see the Boston Common, Public Garden, State House, Fanieul Hall, historic churches, Boston Massacre Site, Paul Revere's birthplace (?), cemetaries, etc, etc. It's really a perfect city tour you do on your own with very simple navigation.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Is this your first trip to Boston? There is plenty to see and do in Boston, but as always it depends on your own interests. History? Activities? Walking? Shopping (shudder!)?

This web site might give you some ideas: City of Boston.gov Visitors.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Hi!

Have you ever visited Boston before? There are so many wonderful things to do and see.

This link might help:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...achusetts.html

Does your "extra day" fall on a weekday or weekend?

I hope this info helps.

Peace & Love,
    Denise

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals".
    Immanuel Kant

Funny, the three of us essentially (and independently) gave bouncybouncy the same answer...
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Yes, same but very different!!!

I guess I could have included some of my interests...so here goes:
    I (uh...obviously) love to ride, BUT, I will not have any of my gear ...although I have heard what a great place it is to do so. I have never been to the N'East and will probably not have an opportunity again. I love the outdoors so shopping it OUT!!! Museums, maybe! but considering I will have just gotten out of (or going into) 3 long days of intense classes inside the convention center...a day outside is ideal! (only the weather will know)

with the info you have given me and a quick peek at the sites this is what I thought...you tell me what you think:

A walk on the freedom trail and hopefully find a bike shop with cruiser type rentals to cruise a waterfront bike trail (don't know which)...take lots of pics...

I have not decided if this will occur on Monday April 2 or Saturday April 7...

...and Thank You so much girls...I knew i could count on you!!!
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

bike shop

Hi!

Here's a link to "Landry's bicycles" in Boston.

http://www.landrys.com/storelocation...n/default.aspx

Click on the link "Resource center" - lots of info there . (It's the first time I've ever checked out Landry's resource center.....There's tons of stuff to do !)

Have fun!

Peace & Love,
    Denise

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals".
    Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by bouncybouncy View Post
    Yes, same but very different!!!

I guess I could have included some of my interests...so here goes:
    I (uh...obviously) love to ride, BUT, I will not have any of my gear ...although I have heard what a great place it is to do so. I have never been to the N'East and will probably not have an opportunity again. I love the outdoors so shopping it OUT!!! Museums, maybe! but considering I will have just gotten out of (or going into) 3 long days of intense classes inside the convention center...a day outside is ideal! (only the weather will know)

with the info you have given me and a quick peek at the sites this is what I thought...you tell me what you think:

A walk on the freedom trail and hopefully find a bike shop with cruiser type rentals to cruise a waterfront bike trail (don't know which)...take lots of pics...

I have not decided if this will occur on Monday April 2 or Saturday April 7...

...and Thank You so much girls...I knew i could count on you!!!
    Well if you really hate shopping indoors, you have no excuse not to hit up Newbury Street since it's all shopping outdoors

I actually wasn't aware that there were any waterfront bike paths, maybe I'm wrong. But the Boston waterfront isn't really a great place to ride, or anything really spectacular to see, in my opinion. Where you really want to ride is along the Charles River along the Esplanade, there's a great bike path that runs along both sides of the river from Boston out to Newton. I would suggest a ride out on the Boston side and a return trip on the Cambridge side, with a stop in Harvard Square. The Cambridge side of the bike path comes within a block of Harvard Square and that is always an interesting place to wander around.

Just remember, April is decieving in New England, everyone always seems to think it's going to be warm and it's usually still pretty chilly!
    It's only worth it if you're having fun

For museums, most around here are overwhelmingly large and pretty much standard museum fare. The real jewel is the smaller http://www.gardnermuseum.org/ . It's in a big old mansion and has an amazing collection and cafe. Also, the Boston Public Library is right in the middle of town (and near Newbury St.'s shopping) and is a neat old building with rooms full of murals and whatnot. It also has nice clean bathrooms!

You can get a subway/bus pass for a week from the pass machines inside the stations, they just went to a different system than you'll probably find in guidebooks and I believe it's a lot better for visitors. If you can, try to avoid the Freedom Trail on Saturdays- it's a zoo. The North End is neat and improves greatly if you venture off of Hanover St. and find all of the tiny Italian meat markets.