Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

our mortgage is $1400 a month but it will be paid off in 9 years (we got a 15 year refinanced mortgage) It's hard to compare to people living in Arkansas and Illinois and Missouri, but we compare very well with people who live in large urban centers.

We DO sometimes have car payments, but after the car is paid off we make those payments to ourselves, so when we are ready to buy the next car, we have a considerable start. This year might end up a little different because of all the bikes coming into the family (ack, cough, choke ) but this is the way we've managed for the most of our marriage. We also don't have credit card debt. (yet!)
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    our mortgage is $1400 a month but it will be paid off in 9 years (we got a 15 year refinanced mortgage) It's hard to compare to people living in Arkansas and Illinois and Missouri, but we compare very well with people who live in large urban centers.

We DO sometimes have car payments, but after the car is paid off we make those payments to ourselves, so when we are ready to buy the next car, we have a considerable start. This year might end up a little different because of all the bikes coming into the family (ack, cough, choke ) but this is the way we've managed for the most of our marriage. We also don't have credit card debt. (yet!)
    Just curious Mimi, what are property taxes like in Seattle?

Here on a small house (900 sq ft like my old one) they're about $1800 a year, for a typical 1400 sq ft 3/2 house they'd run around $2600-$2900 a year.

Electra Townie 7D

Interesting, my property taxes are about 1800 dollars. my house is worth about $300,000 if you can believe that. the house is about 2000 square feet
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

I just noticed that there are stars at the bottom for "ranking" the article. (http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...ke.aspx?page=1 )

if you click on it, they'll know people are reading it

Interesting, my property taxes are about 1800 dollars. my house is worth about $300,000 if you can believe that. the house is about 2000 square feet
    Our taxes here have gotten ridiculous, I have a friend who bought a new 1200 sq ft house in a small "bedroom" community about 10 miles away from town, she paid $114,000 for it three years ago. Her taxes are up to $3000 a year now and she lives in a town with no professional police force or fire dept.! I can't figure out what they're spending the money on???

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Geonz View Post
    I just noticed that there are stars at the bottom for "ranking" the article. (http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...ke.aspx?page=1 )

if you click on it, they'll know people are reading it
    Thanks for pointing that out, if we let mainsteam media know that writing about bikes matters...maybe they'll write more?

Electra Townie 7D

hmm.. i've got 3 cars... i dunno why but growing up i always liked cars. i wanted one for every season.

that being said. i don't have a car payment.

my 4rnr is going on 20 yrs old. still love it. it's my baby and my old trusty
    my miata is going on 10 yrs old. bought used. paid off.
    my acura is 8 yrs old... actually i'm trying to decide whether to keep this one cuz of the insurance payments. the insurance payments were never part of my childhood dream this is my dad's car and he just wanted to give it to me if i wanted it..

in fact, that's one of my to do's this morning is call on the insurance quote for it.

it's weird but they're kinda like shoes to me.

if i wanna take the dog or the bike.. i take the 4rnr (kind alike my hiking shoes)
    if i wanna be zippy i take the miata (like my riunning shoe.. even tho i hate running)
    if i need more than 2 ppl in the car, i'd take the acura (like my keens!)

but i agree with the article. i don't know why people spend so much on their cars. i've always wondered that. where i live, there's an apt complex and when i drive by i see really nice cars parked in there and try to figure out how they can afford the car and live in an apt complex.

but i think it's partly status thing. to look like something else. but for those folks that don't have much.. my theory is, if they can't own a house they can at least own the next big ticket item.. a really nice car. me? people tell me to get rid of my 4rnr cuz it's a pos but i can't cuz it's served me so well and why should i? it runs, it does what i need it to do. why add to the junk pile when it's still going strong?

wow.. i'm looking at your housing prices and am envious. living in the sf bay area.. anything below 400k is amazing. condos go for like 500k around here.
    Last edited by roguedog; 01-18-2007 at 06:43 AM.

I'm that way ("it's like shoes") about my bicycles. It was an easy transition Parade? Get out the Green Racer. SHiney but OLD and elegant. Party? THe Xtra cycle with the blender of course!!! Formal occasion? The Gazelle in all her statuesque glory. Time Trial? that Sunday-go-to-century Trek...

ah, I wish you gals could have heard the talk DH and I had about me buying a new bike.
    red= raleighdon orange=mimitabby

You don't need a new bike...

I know

You already have 2.5 bikes

And so will you as soon as your new bike arrives.

Well, okay, but we can't build it up right away

of course not dear.I'm not in a rush

My next bike will be a ...
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Having a bike for every occasion will only encourage you to ride often and leave the car parked...so it's a really good thing!

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Queen View Post
    Having a bike for every occasion will only encourage you to ride often and leave the car parked...so it's a really good thing!
    ENABLER!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetree View Post
    ENABLER!!!!

Electra Townie 7D

Yikes! I live in central Illinois and my house is about 1700 sq. ft. Last year, I paid $3,000 in property taxes. The house is worth between $100,000 and $150,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen View Post
    Our taxes here have gotten ridiculous, I have a friend who bought a new 1200 sq ft house in a small "bedroom" community about 10 miles away from town, she paid $114,000 for it three years ago. Her taxes are up to $3000 a year now and she lives in a town with no professional police force or fire dept.! I can't figure out what they're spending the money on???
    Public schools. There is way too much reliance in Illinois on property taxes for school funding.

Property taxes pay for public schools everywhere in the US. It is the responsibility of the states, which give it to the local districts. I know that everyone complains about taxes, but generally, with schools, you get what you pay for. Education won't be equitable until we have an equitable method to fund our schools...

I am shocked that some of you pay $700.00 a month for a mortgage. I am "older" than a lot of you and my first mortgage, 27 years ago, in Chandler, AZ (not an expensive place at that time) was that much! You would faint if you knew what my mortgage was here in New England. I think people make choices on what to spend their $ on. When my kids were younger, I wanted them to have certain opportunities that were a stretch for us at the time. But it was worth it. The only debt I have is my house, but for a long time we lived on the edge. It's just a choice me made and I don't regret it.