Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Mr. Silver Sends Thanks

I am grateful for:
    • The support and affirmation directed at me personally from many of you,
    • The general consensus that discrimination of any kind is inappropriate,
    • The knowledge of that ring finger predictor in the debate post

So,why am I here?First, it's a safe and a generally wholesome place. But mostly I am here because I absolutely love my wife more than anyone can imagine. In recent years, we have gone through some very difficult times. At times, I didn't think we were going to make it...but we have and we will. Silver is the woman I will grow old with.

But, we are five years from being "empty nesters". As I look toward that, I place value on us having common interests and common friends. I want our paths to converge, not diverge...and I am choosing to follow the path of following my wife's constructive interests.

So, should any of you act differently because of my presence? I hope not...I have always preferred platonic relationships with women over men. In college, I was the "Theta Throb" (a/k/a "Chump of the Year" ) for Silver's sorority...not because I was "tall, dark, and handsome" (I'm not...althought I am vain ) but because all 150 of those girls were comfortable with me. Trust me, there is nothing you can say on here that I haven't already seen or heard first hand .

I'm getting a bit long winded here, so let me close by saying:

Thanks for the comments, the constructive debate, and the inclusive consensus...

Mr. Silver repeats:

Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    I willingly submit myself to the accountability and encouragement of this group.

12/30/06: Weight: 190, Waist 35/36, BMI ~29
    6 Mo Goal: Weight: 160, Waist 31/32, BMI ~25
    '07 Goal: Ride the "Hilly Hundred" in Bloomington and hold my own with the athletically superior love of my life a/k/a "Silver"

This group (and only this group) has unbridled permission to hold me accountable to this goal. If I am slacking in my progress, you have permission to call me whatever "girly names" you need to get my attention.

...A man's forum is way too macho for me...
    I hope you will plan on joining the "Silver Family" at the Hilly Hundred in the fall.
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Mr. Silver, you're cool. I didn't productively involve myself in the "should men be here" thread. Lots of good points were made articulately by many.

Anyway, I'm happy you're here.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Silver View Post
    we are five years from being "empty nesters". As I look toward that, I place value on us having common interests and common friends. I want our paths to converge, not diverge...and I am choosing to follow the path of following my wife's constructive interests.[/I]
    What a beautifully written post. My husband and I are 6 years from being empty nesters and have recently started to find hobbies we both enjoy. I completely understand. You and your wife sound very fortunate to have each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Silver View Post
    I hope you will plan on joining the "Silver Family" at the Hilly Hundred in the fall.
    The Hilly Hundred! I live in a very flat part of Ohio. Could we just run instead?
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Right on, Mr. Silver.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rock on with your bad self! You and my husband sound a lot alike.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

Like Malliotropolis, I didn't actively involve myself in the thread

However, my thoughts do come down heavily on the "no doscrimination on any grounds" part of the thread.

My partner and I are about 6-7 years from beg empty nesters also, and we spend all time we can together. We do not have girls or boys nights out, we do not go off on hunting or fishing or shopping or whatever trips with our mates -leaving one behind.

My greatest joy last year was a two week holiday we took with the kids where I took no work with me and we only spent 1-2 hours apart from each other at any one time (and this was during the bike race part of the holiday).

Although he rarely reads threads here, and does not post and has not joined, he regularly asks "how the girls are" and helps me formulate both my questions and answers at times, or helps me understand what others have written. He is interested in the women here and is particulalrly thrilled and impressed by women in their middle years who have faced demons or summoned courage or made time to do something for themselves...

This forum has also given the males in this house (my partner and our four sons) the perspective that someone who rides for three hours is just as committed as someone who covers the same distance in half the time. That the women who set cycling goals for themselves can be just as elated or just as devastated when their goals are met or just missed as any testosterone-laden elite male rider.

Its a great forum, and its diversity is its strength and all we should ask is that we are all respectful of each other.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Mr Silver, I honestly don't see a problem with you posting here. I think you offer an interesting perpsective and have every right to post here just like the next person. Yes it's a women's forum, but I think you have shown your postings that you are very respectful of that fact. I hope you are not chased off the forum continue to post here!
    It's only worth it if you're having fun

Mr. Silver-

Glad to see we didn't scare you off

I, for one, consider you a valued and welcome member!

Carrie Anne

who is slinking off to polish off a bottle of two buck chuck - we just got trader joe's in NC and I've been partaking...
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post

who is slinking off to polish off a bottle of two buck chuck - we just got trader joe's in NC and I've been partaking...
    TJs has some of the best items at fantastic prices.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Now for anybody who doesn't know, the Hilly Hundred takes TWO DAYS. (I didn't do it one year because I didn't know that.) It is *do-able.* Not easy, but *do-able.* (Start early, though. It gets CROWDED. And please, practice going up hills without suddenly bailing!)