Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Clipless-update

Clipless-update

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I am happy to report that I managed to stay upright for a full 30 minute ride in which I rode 6 miles! I just made up my mind that I was going to conquer the clipless pedals if it was the last thing I do........so I got on the bike, clipped in and prayed for no traffic!

Getting clipped in while being terrified to do so was a challenge. It was all I could do to make myself stay clipped in! Then I thought, "...I'll just ride right here around the house so if I fall, I can walk home to lick my wounds!" After about 2 loops around the culdesac, I thought, "...I'll just go a mile up the road, that way if I fall, I can still walk home and like my wounds!" Well, 30 minutes later, I'd ridden 6 miles and wasn't too worried about getting out of the pedals!

Mind you, I'm not ready to ride in a group or where there's a lot of stop and go yet. But, I'll get there!

Thanks for all the encouragement you guys gave me. I'm off my trainer and back out in the sunshine.........yeaaaaaaaaaah!

Kim in TN

Good for you! I went out for the second time today and fell. Hopefully, I'll get better with time.

Funny ... it's not getting clipped in that scares me ... it's getting clipped out (in time)!

I'm trying to learn these, too. It's scary when I'm going uphill, or dealing with obstacles at all. Uphill because I'm afraid I'll completely bonk and not be able to keep pedalling/balanced till I clip out.
    monique

I am riding where I am comfortable right now; I know the roads and how to avoid the major hills and stopsigns. I'll venture out this week, though. I am determined NOT to let these things get the best of me!

I am going riding with my friend who got me hooked on cycling... she's been begging me to get out of the house for weeks! haha!

Good luck, y'all. I am sure I'll fall sooner or later, hopefully later... away from everyone and no one around to watch and laugh!

Kim in TN

.........are you all roadies? do any of you ride mountain?

I just got clipless, 2 days ago.
    I am already perfectly comfortable in my pedals.

They are on the lowest tension setting...and I was lucky enough to have friends that recommended learning on a grassy hill.

I went out yesterday and learned in roughly an hour. Only fell twice, though I knocked the piss out of myself the second time.

Went for a 6 mile ride today on some local trails, no problems...

I think you should all get mountain bikes.
    Trying to keep the rubber side down.

Thanks for all the good advice and encouragement. I am going on my first road ride tomorrow early morning. From what I have heard, the woman who is leading us is a great rider and leader. She reassured me that she will make sure we all get home. No one will be left out on the road.

MudGrrl, I actually have a mountain bike, but am looking for a bit more speed for my Triathlons. I had decent times with my MB, but just want to improve my times.

I'm no roadie!

MTB all the way.
    monique

me three.. my experieince going clipless was similar... set 'em loose and have at it.

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM