Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Since this a public forum, you never know who could be reading. There could be lots of men out there who are just having a grand ole time over the diva cup or Brazilian waxes. AND never say that they are here.

Lots of things posted by WOMEN here make me uncomfortable. It doesn't keep me from posting or reading. It doesn't mean the topics shouldn't be posted. I am pleased with the Ignore Thread feature because I can now ignore those threads more easily. I don't want to ignore the posters, because in other threads I've valued their comments.

Heck, I could be a man for all some of you know.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Very well said HipGnosis!

and now i'll be the devil's advocate. Can you imagine the guys trying to have a "guys only" forum?
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I say men should be allowed so long as they contribute to the discussion and don't say overtly offensive things.

As V said, this is an open discussion board. A few of you know me in real life - many don't. Sometimes that's best for being able to discuss certain things (sore crotch issues, diva cups), but it is a *public* forum. Men can certainly read it, and never make their presence known.

Some choose to post - like Mr. Silver - and offer insightful and witty comments from sometimes a different perspective. We talk about lots of things other than cycling here (the interviewing thread comes to mind) and in that context, another perspective should be welcome!

I'd be a little suspicious if a male started giving me advice (or posting) to a diva cup thread. Short of that, and so long as their tone is generally in keeping with that of the boards, why not allow them?
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
    I also participate on the women's board on bikeforums.net.
    heh. I never knew there was a women's board on bikeforums.net. But then, I don't post there very often. (not that I've been here often lately either though )

I personally don't have a problem with guys on the forum. To me, it's all about people being polite and respectful to each other, no matter the gender. I just don't think most guys would have much to say on some of the subjects we talk about.

Mel

Well, I have to agree with Hip. I don't think we can ban men, that's discrimination and this is a public forum. Nor would we be able to police the entry of men into the forum. It's not practical and if we tried and they wanted to be here they could just lurk and pretend to be female. I'd rather have them be open about it so that I can have a sense of who's on the thread. Not that it makes a difference to me, I'll say whatever the heck I want in front of a guy anyway. If it grosses them out and they leave so be it.

If someone behaves inappropriately they need to be removed, regardless of gender.

Besides, we sort of have a built in macho-man barrier - none of those types would be caught dead on a discussion group called Team Estrogen. With a name like this it's likely that only the nice guys in touch with their feminine side, like Mr. Silver, are likely to enter in.

I didn't say anything here that other's haven't. Just wanted to throw in my vote per say.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    and now i'll be the devil's advocate. Can you imagine the guys trying to have a "guys only" forum?
    There would undoubtedly be threats of a lawsuit...
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post

Lots of things posted by WOMEN here make me uncomfortable. It doesn't keep me from posting or reading. It doesn't mean the topics shouldn't be posted. I am pleased with the Ignore Thread feature because I can now ignore those threads more easily. I don't want to ignore the posters, because in other threads I've valued their comments.

V.

Exactly.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Kitsune06 Guest
    I think for the most part, there really are a few 'mens only' things... but that's dictated more by most women's distaste for the everpresent testosterone poisoning than any real written rules...

One thing this thread did is make me realize is that despite being of the same gender how really different we are from each other. While some women are uncomfortable with men posting here (remember they can always lurk and read, so its posting we are talking about) other women find the sheer thought of engaging in the form of discrimination that was proposed, gender bias, extremely offensive. Someone on the original thread posted about not understanding why straight people might come into a gay bar. Its cuz they have empathy with the people there; they feel more like they belong there than in straight clubs that conform to different cultural biases and stereotypes. Obvisouly some men feel that here. Who are we to judge. Its like judging someone for simply being who they are, whether who they are is gay, straight, transgendered, or whatever. As long as the focus here remains issues of interest to women cyclists, who are we to ban a guy that shares our interests.

Bikeforums, as an example, is predominatly male, yet women post frequently. Even tho there is a "women specific" thread, it does not mean I am allowed to post only in the female one.

The internet is very public. I am sure LOTS of men read our posts of periods and sex and hormones, and a very select few would even want to post comment. I propose that if you have an issue with a man reading something you have posted, then don't post it. Share/discuss it with a girlfrend on the phone.

Segregation. Thats all it is. Miss Black USA - no whites allowed but Miss USA allows blacks........ The Masters Golf Club here in Augusta GA - all male, no women allowed (its been disputed repeatedly).... TE.com; don't post if you don't have boobs (manboobs don't count).][

ARGH I hate this seperation crap - if a guy wants to post here, and keeps his "cool" what harm is there??????

I say let 'em stay. All the estrogen that flows around here I doubt they would stay all that long anyway.
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

Quote Originally Posted by Triskeliongirl View Post
    Who are we to judge. **** As long as the focus here remains issues of interest to women cyclists, who are we to ban a guy that shares our interests.
    I was about to say exactly the same thing. While I would prefer a women-only group, this simply isn't possible on the anonymous WWW. Things I feel uncomfortable discussing in the presence of guys, I simply don't post here. It is a little limiting, for sure. But otherwise, as long as the guys here remain respectful (as I believe Mr Silver has), and the focus is on women's issues WRT cycling, then I'm fine with it.

~Sherry.
    All vintage, all the time.
    Falcon Black Diamond
    Gitane Tour de France
    Kuwahara Sierra Grande MTB
    Bianchi Super Grizzly MTB

Quote Originally Posted by CyclChyk View Post
    Segregation. Thats all it is. Miss Black USA - no whites allowed but Miss USA allows blacks........ The Masters Golf Club here in Augusta GA - all male, no women allowed (its been disputed repeatedly).... TE.com; don't post if you don't have boobs (manboobs don't count).][
    I'm a little uncomfortable now. I don't really have much in the way of boobs. Can I still post?

Sorry, I thought this thread needed a little comic relief.

FWIW-Mr.Silver has done nothing but be a gentleman.

Now as to the topic at hand, I *had* (note-past tense ) mixed feelings, as I think others have already posted about. Basically I worried this wonderful forum would become co-ed.

After reading these very thoughtful post, especially those by Kitsune06 and HipGnosis6, I must concur with what they wrote. And I further believe, as has been previously stated, no one should ever be discriminated against.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

To me it falls under "if you can't enforce it, don't make the rule." Makes it not even an issue. The effort to prevent XYs from participating just isnt' worth it even *if* it were desired.
    And if a guy finds the environment worth hanging around in, cool beans. And a guy posts to update us on his wife, THANK YOU.

And... those of us with full blown "earth mother comfort shelves" as they're called on the very moderated bikejournal can average out with anyone feeling they might have insufficient rolling hills