Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Janauary 13 rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

It was 31 degrees when I rolled out the door this morning. I was supposed to lead a ride. Didn't think anyone would show up. The wind picked up a lot when I got to the start point. The club president showed up in his car. He had an excuse as he was going to do a time trial. WE had a board meeting last night, and had talked about a new route. Since I was the only one there, and the original route would have been windy,so we decided I should go an a reconniase mission!
    It start out OK, until I turned north and started climbing into the wind(30+mph gusts) It's not fun to be in your Granny gear AND your biggest Cog AND Standing , all at the same time! I got to the crest there and turned west. The further west I got, the higher the mountain became, which meant less wind! I did the climb up to Mt Baldy road, where I took the photos

After that, I went to a bike shop because I had noticed that the Fredwina mobile needed new tires, I got some Specialized mondos and headed home. I passed another of our club member, whom I chastised for being a wimp! (i don't think he own tights)
    anyway had 51 miles in , and a good time
    P.s I'm as good as Duck is, aren't I? And you cant change the topic, either! oh, well...
    Last edited by Fredwina; 01-13-2007 at 01:03 PM. Reason: spelling

The Velo 18 miles "Girls Girls who love Girls ride" aka: Baby It's Cold Outside

Well, I thought no one would be there or maybe myself and two other riders but 11 brave women showed up for the Velo Girls ride.

It was coooooooold.

But I'm checking out the cold weather gear, right? On ALC we ride rain or shine so...gotta test the wool socks.

Note to self: self? your full finger gloves have tiny ventilation holes in them, if it's that cold again-get glove liners or disposable plastic gloves I hear is a very cheap effective solution.

Also most there had the ear flap things, I don't wear them because for some odd reason they make my glasses fog up.

Need to figure out another way to keep my ears warm.

Hey, here's one I like!!!....don't ride when it's that f*&^ cold

But it really was beautiful. Clear, crisp, NO wind which was great, if there had been windchill that would be bad but with no wind it was real nice.

The Alpine Inn where we start and end has no coffee, well they have instant...therefore look for the Velo Girls Girls who like Girls ride to move locations in the future where coffee and hot chocolate are available.
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Also most there had the ear flap things, I don't wear them because for some odd reason they make my glasses fog up.

Need to figure out another way to keep my ears warm.
    I like the fleece and Velcro things that fit on your Helmet straps. Is that what you are talking about?

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Fredwina, you are BRAVE and STRONG! Amazing ride!
    Today here was 45F and rainy all day, so no bike, just a 3mile wet brisk walk around my neighborhood to keep the flab at bay.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Okay California gals... we gotta show 'em we're not afraid of a little cold.

I departed before dawn this morning in 30° temps dressed like an eskimo... but the winds hadn't picked up yet so it was invigorating rather than paralysing. I had to test out my new bike fit* and it worked like a dream. I did 31 flat miles (still recovering from yesterday's interval session) and felt good 21mph+ on the flats through Hermosa Beach. I stopped to meet a friend for breakfast and on my return trip, encountered hundreds of run groups training for the L.A. Marathon. Most of them were experienced runners who were vigilant for and considerate to cyclists, which was cool to see. One or two spectators/newbies almost stepped into my path but were promptly corrected by their running mates. Great to see!

* I had a fitting done by Cycling Hall of Famer Ted Ernst last night, which became a 3+ hour job. He noticed immediately that my saddle was too wide for my hips, so we tried on mulitple saddles. My hips were too narrow for the WSD saddles (!) and we eventually decided on the Selle San Marco Azoto Triathlon saddle. He fitted the new saddle position, corrected my foot imbalance (which I didn't even realized I had) with shims under my new cleats. Then came the foot/knee fit. Afterwards, he tested shorter stems, the 80mm and 90mm, before deciding on a 90mm carbon job. Then my handlebars were rotated for fit and my shifters correctly positioned and shimmed to make sure my smaller hands were accommodated. My bar was rewrapped, cables/brakes adjusted and a nice fresh lube job. Phew! My bike fits like a dream now, and my cruising speed increased noticeably. I thought I would need time to adjust, but the 30 miles this morning was a piece of cake!

Today I rode with a friend who was riding a single speed and had figured out what an equivilent gear would be for me on my bike. We left around 7:30 am it was kind of warm...40 degrees...we did 22 miles and I did it in one gear....first time for me..it was hard because I am not a spinner, at times I thought my legs would fall off!! but they didn't and I had a good ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    Fredwina, you are BRAVE and STRONG! Amazing ride!
    I was think during the ride that I should ride over to Pomona and Check my self in to Latnerman State Hospital

Hey Lisa...what are you wearing????????????????????
    Anyway, I braved 28 degree temps today...I rode 26 miles ,and by mile 15 I couldn't feel my feet or hands. It was so cold . It wasn't windy ,but it started to hail slightly ,and I could hear little clicks on my helmet. I was sure glad to get home ,and thaw out my poor feet.

Now this is a change...the CA girls riding in the cold while over here in NC, it was pushing 70! What is the world coming to??

Rode 50 hilly miles today. We anticipated no wind and we were sorely disappointed! Gusts across the farmlands up to 25-30mph...made the flats feel worse than the hills! I am proud to say that I didn't touch my granny gear even once today AND I tackled some of the tougher hills entirely on the big ring. Gotta build that leg strength....

Where's the whining icon? I want to ride my bike!!!!

6 degrees F. Too much ice and snow. Must get back on trainer....
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Today's ride was back and forth and then out to Owen's Funeral HOme for the memorial for Fritz, who connected me with my Gazelle and was in other countless little ways a positive thing.
    He was one of those guys who listened really well - and paid attention, too - and was definitely on the side of the little guy. He's the one who told me - when others were saying "be careful, start slow" - that I should go 17-18 for that ride across Indiana.

So different people got up to talk. The "emcee" of sorts asked "Susan" to come up. She said that many of us wouldn't know who she was. She had been in college wanting to ride her Schwinn LETour but needing to replace the rotten tires. Yellow Pages. Schwinn. "Can you put these tires on for me?" "Can't you put them on?" So Fritz taught her to install tires, and invited her to the next club ride... more stories,and at some point the light went on in my head. Susan - Notorangelo . RAAM and more. And Fritz got her started.

More people, more stories and the last guy eclipsed them all with the story of why he had to leave his correctional systems job for bicycles. (Did I mention he rooted for the "little guy" -- even if the little guy was somebody we'd be afraid of?) It redefined "unsung heroes" and I left thinking that you just never know.

.. that guy/gal next to you might just be a recovering hero. Be nice to each other.

The other lesson: the little stuff you do every day turns into big stuff when you're not looking. Make good habits.

Well, the lowest temp I braved on yesterday's ride was a chilly.....59 degrees! Aside from some minor headwinds, it was gorgeous January day (more like an April day really), so after a couple of weeks of 20-mile and shorter rides, my cycling buddy and I did 40 miles, mainly because it just felt so good. At the finish, I realized I was beat--it sure doesn't take long to start losing conditioning.

Back home, after a shower, DH suggested a motorcycle ride. Yes I was tired, but it was still a beautiful day, so we spent two glorious hours out in it. Nice day!
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

I can be the queen of dillydally and though I love being out on my bike, I sometimes have a hard time getting suited up and out the door. We've been having this unusually cold weather in NorCal and I really don't have the right clothes as I tend to not ride outside much in the winter. That being said, I made it outside at 2 pm knowing it would have to be a shortish ride. Rode from the house to the Coyote Creek Trail. Once on the trail, I rode 10 miles out and back, then home. I was wearing just the right clothing combo and stayed comfy with the exception of my toes which were frozen after an hour. I thought Smartwool socks would be enough, but I think my rarely used shoe covers would have helped a lot. At any rate, it was lovely out there, sunny and crisp at 45 - 50 degrees. Hardly any riders/walkers/runners on the trail, but there WAS the usual afternoon headwind from the north hitting me on the way out. Coming back was great however! Ended up riding a tick under 30 miles in just over two hours. Afterward, I warmed up in the shower, put on some cozy sweats, and had a well earned cup of hot chocolate. Hoping to get out again tomorrow for a longer ride.
    Health is the thing that makes you feel like now is the best time of the year--Franklin Pierce Adams

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by suzieqtwa View Post
    Hey Lisa...what are you wearing????????????????????
    Whazza matter Suzie, don't you like my new biking jersey?
    It's my inner alter ego Bee Woman. Read the nutrition forum thread on "Honey"...I've been suffering severe honey cravings lately and look what it's done to me! Probably explains why I was compelled to get that yellow helmet recently too...

Anyway, I braved 28 degree temps today...I rode 26 miles ,and by mile 15 I couldn't feel my feet or hands. It was so cold . It wasn't windy ,but it started to hail slightly ,and I could hear little clicks on my helmet. I was sure glad to get home ,and thaw out my poor feet.
    I've been finding it really hard to keep my hands and feet from freezing when it's below 30F too. Despite all my many hi tech gloves and wool socks and boots, I can't seem to beat the under-30F cold + wind chill factor. The only way might be to use chemical warmers in shoes and gloves- but that would be pretty expensive for every ride. Regardless, we're having 3 days of freezing rain now, so biking is out for the moment. Doing my daily 3 mile walks instead. Hoping for 4" of snow at *some* point here so I can try out my new snowshoes.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My hands get warm faster when I consciously think like yoga and "open my chest" so the blood pumps on down there. It's not going to make 20 degrees 50, but it helps