Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Snowshoeing

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

Snowshoeing

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just thought I'd start this thread under "Other Sports" so we can have a logical place to post about snowshoeing stuff.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good idea, Lisa!

Sorry you don't have the snow! We won't get out snowshoeing this weekend - it's toooo cold! brrrrrrrrrrrr

It's a good time to catch up on a business law assignment I have to submit soon, and start working on the taxes. blech. Can you imagine?

I did go to kickboxing last night, though. No other participants, so I had a private lesson. Very different from the classes I took in my old hometown. That was an aikido dojo, this is a fight club. A smelly, black, metal filled boy's gym that hosts the one ladies class each night. The good part is that it takes about 2 minutes to walk there after work, and the class starts at just the right time. I still might shop around and see if here are other places to go.

Are you still riding?

Hugs,
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com

Hi T,
    Sometimes we find good new objectivity and inspiration in places we don't expect to. Perhaps your stinky dark male gym place is going to offer some new experiences and discoveries for you. Contrast can bring new awareness. If it's a convenient time and location, it will at least keep you excercising more often. Perhaps you'll absorb some of the testosterone in the air there and rise to spectacular new martial arts heights!

I rode bike yesterday only 12 miles- so cold at 23F. I *should* have ridden today, but like a fool I believed the weather report that said rain all morning, so I walked 3 miles instead. Turned out it was 40 and perfectly lovely and sunny for a bike ride! A missed opportunity, and now supposedly 3 days of sleet ahead of us. At least I walked.

I had an interesting snowshoe occurance today. We live a 1/2 mile from Main st here in our little rural town. While walking through town today, I saw a flyer in the window of the land conservancy office that told about upcoming snowshoe classes right near me! I wrote down all the info excitedly. At home I saw on my calendar that I would miss all 3 dates due to guests here and also an upcoming vacation in early Feb. I was devastated!! But then I did some thinking- the first clinic was setup for a week from now- and clearly there would not be snow here for it, so I called the Land Conserv. office to see what they were planning to do about that problem. The lady in the office was the one who was going to give the snowshoeing classes! She said they had already canceled the first one, and weren't too sure about snow for the other ones either. Then she said the most amazing thing- she said she keeps her snowshoes right there in her office and when there is snow she often goes out snowshoeing on her lunch break etc. She said if there is at least a 3" snow anytime time on a weekday, I should just call her and she would come meet me right 2 blocks from my house where one of their nature trails starts! This was the trail I had planned on trying my snowshoes out for the first time. She said she's be glad to get me started and give me a little lesson anytime! This is all just a couple of blocks from my house!!! Am I lucky or what??

Now I have a snowshoe mentor to help me get snowshoeing when we get our first big snow!
    Yesterday we actually did get our first "real" snow- but only 2". By this morning it was down to 1" and spotty coverage. That's at least breaking the jinx of no snow at all I guess. I feel pretty dopey talking about snowshoeing so much and never even having done it yet! Well, I *did* at least try my snowshoes on in the bedroom once! Coudln't walk around the house though or I'da ruin'd the oak floors!

We do our taxes pretty early, usually Feb. DH is a very efficient man, which suits me just fine.
    Lisa

Hi, Lisa!

Boy oh boy do I have some sore muscles!! Traps, rhomboids, lats, intercostals, abs, anterior deltoids, calves and to a small degree my pecs are all very very sore. Sneezing is a serious wake up call! Not sure if I'm a complete idiot or not, but I was so sore last night that I decided the best cure was to use all of the same muscles again, so I used the fancy winch and pulley system that DH built, and played with my own heavy bag for awhile. It was great to put some combinations together. <smile> This morning I'm still wicked sore, but it is so much nicer than being so fatigued that I only want to lay around....

If the soreness has dissipated adequately by Monday, which is what I anticipate, I'll head back to the gym again. I talked quite frankly with the owner about my recent diagnosis with Crohn's and how the fatigue is such a huge factor and I really don't know what I can tolerate. He's agreed that I can come as often as I like through January and at the beginning of February we'll figure out how much I should pay. I think I can do 2 nights a week at best, and his price is for 5 nights a week.....so hopefully there is a discount in there.

Now your snowshoeing story is completely and totally cool! A mentor so close and trails so close, I sooo hope you get snow darned soon!! That teaser snow you had was just a hint of things to come. Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Seriously, I'd love to send a little of ours your way....it's too cold to enjoy it today, but it is snowing yet again. Teeny weenie snow flakes....the kind that if there's a wind just feel like ice pellets whacking you in the face. And, of course, no sunshine, so not the kind of day that makes me want to head outside.

That's actually all very good. I have a completely disorganized room full of papers we have to go through just to find all the stuff we'll need for doing taxes and such. It's not like we can get the taxes done until at least March because employers don't have to send out their paperwork until the end of February, but this part takes so long and is so awful, the sooner we start the better!

You'd never guess that people I work with have this illusion that I'm organized!! hahahahaa

Let me know when you've finally gone out on those snowshoes! It's going to be soooo cool!

Hugs and butterflies,
    ~T~

Quote Originally Posted by LBTC View Post
    Hi, Lisa!

Boy oh boy do I have some sore muscles!! Traps, rhomboids, lats, intercostals, abs, anterior deltoids, calves and to a small degree my pecs are all very very sore.
    Those all sound like tropical fish to me.

I used the fancy winch and pulley system that DH built, and played with my own heavy bag for awhile.
    Sounds kinda kinky.

Seriously though, the first time I walked my 3 miles again a couple of weeks ago, after months of only biking, I had sore muscles in places I didn't expect- the INNER SIDES of my thighs mostly, my shoulders, and my stomach area...who'dda thunk?? I went right out again the next day and the soreness wasn't so bad after that. I'm sure YOUR soreness is way more than mine though, kickboxing being WAY more strenuous than brisk walking!! ( i'm probably older than you, and I doubt my hips would cooperate). I admire you for taking it on- kickboxing must be some big workout.
    With only going 2 nights a week I would THINK you'd get at least half price- if he doesn't offer that I would suggest it if I were you.

I sooo hope you get snow darned soon!! That teaser snow you had was just a hint of things to come. Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    Well it's forty today and raining all day, so the little snow that was left is gone again. Too wet for biking, so I walked my 3mile walk again this morning in the rain...
    Getting a lot of things done today however- some actual "work" work, cleaned the tub and bathroom thoroughly (guests coming next weekend, and I rarely do such a thorough job on the tub, so that feels good), preparing a huge merchandise order to ship, changing sheets on the beds in the house, laundry...all stuff that feels good to get done and over with.

I just have to be patient with the snowshoeing- a decent snow is inevitable here at least ONCE this winter, fer cryin' out loud!

Did you get gaitors for snowshoeing? What kind did you get? I got some way cool Goretex ones. Tempted to wear them just for walking through my sleeting rain walks, but still too warm out.
    Lisa

hahahah Lisa you're funny! I'll take a picture of the heavy bag setup so you can see what I mean......it's not actually kinky, but funny to thing of it that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    Did you get gaitors for snowshoeing? What kind did you get? I got some way cool Goretex ones. Tempted to wear them just for walking through my sleeting rain walks, but still too warm out.
    I had gaitors already I used to wear them through the snow on the walks to work in our old hometown...Mine are low end, not fancy, and I'm pretty sure they're not gore-tex. I think they cost $18 from MEC. DH got a pair from FarWest that are Goretex and were more like $50 on sale. Your gaitors will be great in the snow! I've never tried them in rain...Goretex is breathable, so it might not be as hot as you think.....might get you a look or two, but, do you care? heehee You have cool new stuff, you should try it out!

Hugs,
    ~T~

Okay, so it's not snowshoeing...

I LOVE to snowshoe (I don't wear gaiters, but I do wear windpants). DH and I like to go out after work in the moonlight. We are lucky - we have direct access to hundreds of acres of conservation land that we can use. BUT this only works if we have snow! Right now, we have about 1/2" of ice with 1/2" of snow on top of that. Anyway...

We have this nice hill that leads down into the lower fields... I was inspired. I brought my dog for our walk, and brought the little roll-up sled with me. It's really just a sheet of thick plastic, but it works! So, at the top of the hill I set off! Poor Zaboo! He was VERY concerned - chasing after me at full speed, barking in alarm. Let me just say - with all that ice, I was VERY fast!

So, there we are... full speed down the hill... Zaboo barking frantically, and me screeching like a banshee. I finally came to a stop by digging in my heels... and look up to see my neighbor staring at me. Just as well I didn't know he was there... I'm still embarassed about my shrieking!

When do we get to snowshoe??? Zaboo actually likes that!

What a great story! Let your inner banshee scream, girl!!
    I love the vision of you and your dog skidding and hollering and barking down the hill...

Yeah here in upstate NY we keep getting these lame 1" snow dustings and then it melts and repeats. Snowshoes still still sitting in the closet, all pristine and shining new...gaiters and poles hanging forlornly...
    Lisa

The weekend venture

Hello snow fans!

Yes, DH and I got out and snowshoed again on Saturday. Same area, but new trail we hadn't been on before. With the fresh snow it was a lot harder work, which is great! I reminded us of the first mtb ride of the season, on a favourite climb where all you can think is, why is this so hard??

Motion based links are below. You can actually view these on Google Earth. Pretty fun technology! My GPS obviously dropped out a lot, and for one really long section.....but it gives you the idea.

My GPS report:
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/1933838

DH's GPS report:
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/1934158

I hope you get snow very soon! Gotta get those shoes outside in their natural habitat!!

Hugs and butterflies,
    ~T~

I just got snowshoes for my birthday!! Been wanting them for years. I got Tubbs adventure 21 Womens' snowshoes. I am so looking forward to getting out and doing some decent hikes with them. They are my first Shoes. Do you use poles when you go shoeing? I have x-country ski poles that I could use. Do you think that'd be ok? Is there anything special I should know? Any techniques that work for uphills or downhills? I am really a novice at this and will appreciate any advice you pros can give. I'm kinda housebound for a couple of weeks, but as soon as I can get out, those shoes are going to be walking many miles! I can't wait!

Thanks for any advice!

Annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Well, I'm certainly no expert, but I've really enjoyed our new snowshoes. We've been going to established trails and a nordic (x-country) centre, and they are really interesting trails with lots of twists and turns and ups and downs and through the trees like a mountain bike trail. I've been using mountain bike principals of weighting differently for climbing and descending, and it seems to be working pretty well. I've also found that at the one hour mark I start to run out of pep, so I need to bring food and more than just water. This weekend I put some electrolyte drops in some fruit juice and it seemed to work well.

My snowshoes kick a lot of snow up on my back and legs and butt, so I wear my cycling goretex jacket, a pair of newly purchased simple goretex pants (over tights) and goretex gaitors. Make sure your shoes or boots are really comfortable.

That's all I can think of for now. Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Hugs and butterflies,
    ~T~

Thanks, LBTC!! I'll let you know how my first venture goes.

Annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Yesterday I took my new snowshoes for their 2nd hike of the winter. Not a lot of snow -mabe 4 inches. My upper leg muscles told me when I'd been out long enough. My hour hike ended with a 2 hour tractor ride with my dh and rat terrier to feed the cows hay. After today snow I'm looking forward to shoeing in deeper snow. The cold and wind will keep the hikes short but that should agree with my muscles. I'm not a very coordinated person but fine shoeing very easy. I could use tips on how to go down steeper sections. Lisa I'm sorry your still waiting on snow. All that snow in NY and no one will share with you. I'm glad you presevere and don't let cold, wind, and ice keep you from riding bike or walking. You"ll do great when you finally get to use your Tubbs.

Quote Originally Posted by cosc View Post
    I could use tips on how to go down steeper sections.
    cosc, try to put your weight on your heals as you descend, and keep your knees bent to catch yourself easily if you start to lose your balance.

annie, we don't use poles, but I can see they would ensure that your upper body would stay involved.

Good luck to both of you!

Hugs and butterflies,
    ~T~

I'm jealous - haven't been out snowshoeing yet this year. Sounds like you all are having fun. A few tips: on uphills, keep you foot flat on the snowshoe so that the crampons fully engage (this builds a flexible achilles) and provide good traction. On well-packed trails, the toe crampon may be enough, but on loose snow you really need the whole shoe to get good grip. For steep uphills on loose snow, you can sort of kick in to the snow and create a flat platform for your shoe like making stairsteps. For downhills, keep weight on your heels and shift your weight back and forth from one foot to the other so the tips of your snowshoes don't get buried. It can be a rather fun ski/slide/run downhill.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72