Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Snowshoeing

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thankyou everyone for the advice. As is usual for us, we forged ahead with this endeavor before finding out anything we needed to know, and then made adjustments along the way. I agree with the fact that trail runners might not have the stability.Maybe he could benefit from a Merrell type light hiking shoe. When I bought him the snowshoes he has, the sales person sold him a pair that was meant for carrying a pack. That's probably too much weight, but I would not have known better at that time. I don't know if he will let me talk him into another pair of snowshoes. He has a total aversion on spending money on himself. Unless it's to buy endangered farm equipment, to keep it from ending up at the scrapyard! He's a one-man histirical preservation society!

I went snow shoeing this afternoon, right from the trails off of my street. It was 38 and gorgeous and it was hard for me not to ride. But, I made my decision this morning when I was driving around town and saw just how much snow is still in the road shoulders, along with ice and sand. I thought that in 8 weeks I can ride all of the time, but the season for snow sports around here will be at an end.
    Last edited by Crankin; 09-29-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Hey!
    At first I thought that was my photo from yesterday

I went more for details, though.

You know that's some cold water.

2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Yes, our scenery looks quite similar.
    Last night I had to go do the refreshments after services at my synagogue. I was talking to a woman who I haven't seen for years, who lives at the end of the trail, on the other side of the pasture picture. I told her I had moved close to where she lives a couple of years ago and I had snow shoed up near her house that afternoon. She said, "You hiked alone.. I would be too afraid. It's four miles? I never knew that went up by your street!"
    Oy. We are talking about suburbia here. I doubt there are any perverts running around the woods waiting for me. They would have to be in good shape to get up the 25% grade to get back to my house.

My dad made trails for us to adventure on since my last post. When I got to my parent's, dad had already left so mom said, your father made new trails for you but be on the lookout, he buried the snowmobile somewheres. She had no idea where or the details. I found the spot, he nose dived it into a ditch, had to walk almost a mile back home, get the farm tractor and pull himself out (he's 83) then towed the snowmobile home. I saw him later that day, thanked him for the new trails and mentioned where "someone" got buried..he chuckled. Then asked if I went on this one trail, which I hadn't. Apparently, he was making a trail thru a swampy area, thought he was going thru the marsh grass, when he ran up and over a beaver dam, almost tipping the snowmobile over and throwing him off...I hope he doesn't hurt himself at my expense..he said he had fun making the trails though...

Today we snow shoed at Northfield Mountain, where we x country skied last week.
    The conditions didn't look optimum for skiing, although, in retrospect, I think it would have been OK.
    All I can say is that this was the hardest snow shoe I have done. We took the most challenging route to the summit, about 1100 feet elevation. There is a lookout tower overlooking a reservoir, with picnic tables, so we ate there. There were 2 places with steep ledges, coming after long steeper climbs. I just lose my endurance on these long climbs, but I made it. After awhile, we thought we were at the summit, but we weren't. It did flatten out though for the last half a mile.
    It was about 39 and sunny and I had my jacket and ear covering off, although they went back on at lunch and stayed on, going down. We took another trail back, which while downhill, was not as steep. It was fun, but very challenging. I now have a huge blister on my left heel . We stopped for coffee and pie on the way back at the same antique place/restaurant as last week. This time we saw the guy that used to be my son's coach when he was racing. Weird, because it's in the middle of nowhere.
    When we get more snow, I want to go back and ski to the summit. This place has green trails that go up and down to the top! I'll probably try the blue ones, though.
    Lisa, if you read this, this would be a place we could meet. I don't think it would be too long of a drive for you. It's about 10 miles west of the exit we used to get off of Rt. 2 for U Mass. The place is 2 miles off of Rt. 2.