Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Bunny hops?

pennys Guest

Bunny hops?

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK, I need some help learning to bunny hop... any one have any tips?

also I need some clairifiction... is a bunny hop front wheel "up and over" and then back wheel, or is it both wheels off the ground at the same time.
    I'm on a hard tail, clipless and want to go over log obstacles.

penny

Thumbs up BUNNY HOPS

Hi!
    When I started to learn bunny hops last year, I started them as a progression. Getting the front end off the ground wasn't that hard to master, but getting the height that I wanted was tricky. (for getting over logs etc) Use the power in the rebound of your fork (I amly have about 3.5-4 inches in the front) but really put the momentum into the front end. The back end is super easy when you are clipped in, as you can lift it with both feet.
    I found that speed is your best friend with bunny hops for the momentum too. If you can keep up the speed you have, then you won't be pulling up the front end and then the back in two different motions.
    Last thing, yep! Bunny hops are both wheels at the same time!!
    Good luck, and keep practicing!!!

rhonda

When I learned this, I found a dirt path in a local city park with a lot of tree roots- some pretty hefty. This gave me a training ground, an obstacle course to drill on several times a week. (this is how young horses are taught to jump for cross country too) Roots are good because they're small enough to botch the jump and the fork will save you from a faceplant. They're big enough and varied enough for a real trail experience. Launching out off the mud is how you may as well start- That's what you'll do on the trail. Parks are usually pretty tame, a bunny slope compared to a good trail. This is where you want to screw up and fall while you learn.
    Loading the fork is a good way to start just getting the front end off the ground, but it's ultimately a balance shift combined with the leg hop that does it. You have to learn this with your body more than your mind, too, so be prepared to put time into bad jumps over half inch roots. I learned to hop at 42, and then spent two years at a big university scooting around on a BMX cruiser jumping stuff and riding stairs. The freak out factor for snotty little boys was worth every fall I took in Audubon Park. (heh heh!) Just make sure your fork is serviced- stiction or bad oil will make it tougher to control a hop and wipe out the safety factor the fork supplies.
    Go kick its ***, girl

Miss Liz

another helpful hint

As I started jumping bigger obstacles on trails', I was begining to wince everytime my good ol' big ring would "help" me over the log. Instead of wrecking it, I put on a bash guard to prevent the teeth from breaking off or chipping up. I also do a lot of urban riding, so it helps when I can't quite get up that concrete obstacle too. I have a black spire ring god. You do loose the ability to use your big ring, but you will prevent major trashing to the rest of it.
    that's why I ride...

pennys Guest
    gotta tell you gals:

Just got back from a women's mt bike camp in Canada...two full days of skills, drills and rides! World champion women riders as our coaches. Whee... I learned so much. We spent a full morning on front and back wheel lifts, manual lifts, over logs, planks, stairs... I think I just need to practice a bit and then I'll have it.

penny

wicked!

Sounds like the best class you could go to!!! Where abouts was the course.... I am in Eastern Canada and would love to find something like that up here.
    that's why I ride...

pennys Guest

Thumbs up

wicked is right.

you can look up my "report" under "bike camp" in the google groups archives. It was put on by Rossland MT Adventures http://www.rosslandmtadventures.com

Hey I had Cindy Devine for one of my coaches, can't beat that...

Bunnyhops

Hello people ,Now about Bunnyhopping ,I have this problem on getting even a little height off the back end .I was thinking about getting SPD 's < clipless> peddles to help. Now would this really make a difference .I saw a video on some of the psycos doing bunnyhops over garbage cans and stuff,and they had flats for peddles. What do you suggest?.I would like to attain the 1 foot level at least,so I can keep up with the rest of the group.

I have clipless pedal for all my riding thus far. I am in the transation of going back to flats. My biggest concern though, bunny hopping without being clipped in. My BF, (who does all that jumping crazy stuff on flats) is great at it, but you need to have shoes that are flexi and grab the pedals. For the benefit of what you are riding (and hoping to attain) gvachone, try the clipless. they help me!
    that's why I ride...

Thumbs up Bunnyhops

Thanks for the info gapgoil,I will try clipless.I guess it's like a training tool, to get to the top.h-he. At least this way when I decide to try out for the Windsor rockets <www.rocket.on.ca>I won't have any worries about falling down. About using them.I also realised that it really helps when you push against the peddles using your arms,just before the jump it kind of transfers the wheelie energy to the backwheel much much better, Gotta ride. later Ge Ge