Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

New Feature - Ignore Thread option

To disable ads, please log-in.

By popular request, we've installed a new feature to the forums. Now, in addition to or instead of ignoring a particular user, you can also ignore an entire thread.

When viewing a thread, you can click on "Thread Tools" and then choose "Ignore Thread" to cause that thread to disappear and no longer show up in the thread listings for you. You can make it reappear via your user CP.

Enjoy!

Isn't that an interesting option! When I asked if it was possible on another board (I didn't want to see one very misogynistic thread title every time I logged on) I was told V Bulletin didn't have that option. Hmmmmm

Electra Townie 7D

Hi Queen,

It actually isn't a feature available in the "out-of-the-box" Vbulletin software. I dug around a bit and found a hack that someone else had written to add this functionality to Vbulletin.

- Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by administrator View Post
    Hi Queen,

It actually isn't a feature available in the "out-of-the-box" Vbulletin software. I dug around a bit and found a hack that someone else had written to add this functionality to Vbulletin.

- Jeff
    Thanks for the clarification Jeff. It's a great feature to have, I'm surprised that VB hasn't added it on.

Electra Townie 7D

It is a feature that several customers have asked for but, the opinion of the Vbulletin developers seems to be "If you don't like the thread, don't click on it" -- the fact that people might not want to see the thread title in the listings hasn't sunk in with them yet...

Quote Originally Posted by administrator View Post
    It is a feature that several customers have asked for but, the opinion of the Vbulletin developers seems to be "If you don't like the thread, don't click on it" -- the fact that people might not want to see the thread title in the listings hasn't sunk in with them yet...
    That's a pretty cool vbulletin hack. At another board where I moderate, we tend to rename threads if their titles are offensive to enough members.

That is very cool - thanks!
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Thank you to you both, Jeff and Susan.

This is a great feature.

When I come in I always click on "new posts" and get 2-3 pages and most of the threads I don't read - some about health, or tv programmes, many of the specific rides in the US I will never do.

With a very slow connection (today it is 19.2kbps) I have to be selective as it takes a minute or two for each page to load, and just as long to get the "post reply" page... besides, after all that, I am here for the riding/bicycle discussions.

I see I have to rate each thread now in order to ignore it.

Is it possible to change the options away from

...excellent/good/average/bad/terrible...
    ?

Many of the threads I am choosing to ignore (most recent was a riding in snow thread, which I will never do) have great discussions but just are completely irrelevant to me. So I choose good or excellent, but if you are using this info as stats for your interest, you will wonder why some people rate threads as excellent and then choose to ignore them.

Thanks again for this feature, it will make my visits here much more manageable - this forum has grown so much in the two years I been dropping in.
    Last edited by RoadRaven; 01-11-2007 at 10:31 AM.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRaven View Post
    I see I have to rate each thread now in order to ignore it.
    I didn't rate the threads I set to ignore - I just clicked Thread tools, then Ignore this thread. (On my screen Thread tools is to the left of the rating selection.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Another neat feature of VBulletin is the option of choosing which sub-forums you see when you log in. It's been done on a couple of boards I frequent and was really helpful when the board got too big/active...for example since I'm not a tri-athlete I could choose to select out of seeing that forum and it would no lobger show when I click "New Posts".

Electra Townie 7D

Hmmm... as I am working my way through the last few days freshly-posted-in threads, some of them want to be rated first, and some let me ignore straight away... I haven't worked out yet why Denise...

Maybe some weird glitch in my slow connection - although it seems to be longer and older threads that are taking me to the "rate" option first...

Ah well...

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    My problem is not that I want to ignore threads but rather eliminate whole FORUMS from always being visible every time I go to TE discussion main page.
    For example, I like to keep up with the Apparel forum, but I would love to hide the Favorite Saddles and the Most Hated Saddles forums as I don't need them there.
    I know there is the "Ignore Thread" or "Show Favorite Threads" option, but is there any "Ignore Forum" or "Show Favorite Forums" option?
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And while we're at it... I'd like to ignore sarcastic, banjo-playin' blonde Rivendell riders who have problems with stinky shorts and Vegemite!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetree View Post
    And while we're at it... I'd like to ignore sarcastic, banjo-playin' blonde Rivendell riders who have problems with stinky shorts and Vegemite!
    Don't you be draggin' those old stinky shorts into this, girlie!!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lisa, there isn't a hide forum option, but I did move saddles down under gear and accessories, so that should de-clutter things a bit...

Road Raven, I think the slow connection probably is the key -- you definitely don't have to rate the threads first, but perhaps the page has to load completely before all the options become available.