Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honey

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

Honey

To disable ads, please log-in.

The past two months, I've had a new craving for honey for some reason. Not sugar, but honey- has to be honey. Started putting it in my tea (always used to use sugar).

About 7 years ago my older daughter gave me a bag of fresh bee pollen from Cornell where she was working in the honeybee dept. I remember developing a taste for it but then thought nothing more of it when it ran out. Last week I saw a bag of raw bee pollen pellets at the health food store, I just HAD to have some and have been at my desk nibbling it every day out of the bag with a teaspoon, along with the daily honey in tea thing.
    Today, DH and I walked into town to buy "goodies" at the health food store. I saw a box with a huge chunk of honeycomb and I *had* to buy it! Now I am sitting here with a spoon digging off hunks of honeycomb and eating it, spitting out the bits of wax after each bite.

What's happening to me?? Is this like the movie "The Fly"?
    Help me, pleeeeezzzzbzz....
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 01-10-2007 at 02:26 PM.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've been addicted to honey since I was a kid. I eat some every day, usually on my toast.

Can't live without it.

lol...I can't believe I just read this. I had a huge craving for honey earlier today and attacked the lemon honey I have for tea!!

There is some honey lip balm they sell at bath and body works I picked up the other day. It's very honey smelling, I didn't care for it much though.

Quote Originally Posted by SalsaMTB View Post
    There is some honey lip balm they sell at bath and body works I picked up the other day. It's very honey smelling, I didn't care for it much though.
    At this point if I got some I'd probably EAT it.

P.S. I want a biking helmet just like the one above.
    Lisa

I too love fresh honey. The lady who runs our computer labs at school has several active hives and sells the fresh honey every year. Everyone on staff looks forward to her harvest and buys several bottles at a time. It is so much better than what they sell at the local grocery stores. I love it on apples, toast, home made bread (she makes this too!).
    Marcie

Lisa, have you tried honey stingers on your rides? I haven't tried them, but I love honey too!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I'm drinking peach oolong tea with honey right now, it is SO good!

So, tell me...what is bee pollen and how do you eat it (plain, on food, in food)???

Electra Townie 7D

This is my favorite honey in the whole world.

http://www.volcanoislandhoney.com/

It is the Rare Hawaiian White Honey. I love to eat a teaspoon of this honey on a piece of whole grain toast.

I don't eat it every day because I am trying to lose weight. But gosh, when I do, it is like eating a little piece of Heaven.

Darcy

I have a source for honey from an organic farm in Arkansas. It is DELICIOUS!

if anyone is interested, I could find out if the bee guy has some to sell. I know he ships.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I have to say I absolutely loathe the stuff - cannot tolerate it even added to other foods (like in cakes or cookies). Funny thing is I didn't mind it as a child but as I entered my teenage years, I started to develop a dislike for it.

Mind you, I've recently gone off chocolate cake too, which is really disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen View Post
    So, tell me...what is bee pollen and how do you eat it (plain, on food, in food)???
    It's little pellets of actual flower pollen, collected by honeybees. They go from flower to flower, getting more golden powdery pollen and patting it into balls which they pack onto their back legs. When they get a big pellet gathered, they head back to the hive, where the pollen is made into honey.
    Beekeepers who collect and sell pollen have special little contraptions they put on the hive doorway that lets the bee enter, but knocks the pollen ball off their hind legs as they enter, the pollen pellets falling into a collection tray. (My daughter told me about this). Of course they don't take ALL the pollen or the bees would die off!
    Here's a random website describing and selling bee pollen:
    http://www.draperbee.com/info/beepollen.htm
    (I have not ordered from them, I don't know them)

My first taste of the little grains of pollen was years ago- it has a unique honey/fruity/chewy/grainy taste, somewhat strong. I just toss a 1/4 teaspoon at a time on my tongue and chew it up. You only eat a teaspoon or two a day- it's not the kind of stuff you'd eat a bowl of! I developed a real liking for the taste and texture. It's not for everyone, so one should order a small amount the first time- look for it in a big health food store. It's usually kept refrigerated (or should be).
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    It's little pellets of actual flower pollen, collected by honeybees. They go from flower to flower, getting more golden powdery pollen and patting it into balls which they pack onto their back legs. When they get a big pellet gathered, they head back to the hive, where the pollen is made into honey.
    Beekeepers who collect and sell pollen have special little contraptions they put on the hive doorway that lets the bee enter, but knocks the pollen ball off their hind legs as they enter, the pollen pellets falling into a collection tray. (My daughter told me about this). Of course they don't take ALL the pollen or the bees would die off!
    Here's a random website describing and selling bee pollen:
    http://www.draperbee.com/info/beepollen.htm
    (I have not ordered from them, I don't know them)

My first taste of the little grains of pollen was years ago- it has a unique honey/fruity/chewy/grainy taste, somewhat strong. I just toss a 1/4 teaspoon at a time on my tongue and chew it up. You only eat a teaspoon or two a day- it's not the kind of stuff you'd eat a bowl of! I developed a real liking for the taste and texture. It's not for everyone, so one should order a small amount the first time- look for it in a big health food store. It's usually kept refrigerated (or should be).
    Very cool! Thanks for the info, I'll have to look for it at my local natural foods store.

Electra Townie 7D

Isn't it true that if you're allergic to bee stings you shouldn't eat bee pollen? Thought I read that once...but I may just have dreamed it (or it's an urban legend!)

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Isn't it true that if you're allergic to bee stings you shouldn't eat bee pollen? Thought I read that once...but I may just have dreamed it (or it's an urban legend!)

Emily
    No that is quite correct, you also shouldn't eat royal jelly and depending on what bee protein you are allergic to, honey can also be a problem.

People who eat honey are less likely to get Hayfever. A teaspoon of LOCAL honey (from hives in your local area) does wonders for allergie sufferers.

Plus the fact it's anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant containing wonder therepy... My favourite local variety (when it's availible) is White clover and DAMN that's nice!

never heard about the BEE sting/pollen pellets before...

hmmmm...

@LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log