Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Honey

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey, I'm the LAST person to ever discourage goofy behaviour! The new avatar looks great!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I love the new avatar, Lisa!!!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post

Darcy- I used Burt's lip balm for YEARS every day, I just loved it. Then one day I put it on and suddenly out of the blue it felt all burning and my lips got all red and swollen and it was horrible!
    Hi Lisa, getting sudden allergies is normal. I developed an allergy to walnuts and fresh pineapple and the allergies lasted for about two decades. The symptoms were face and body rashes that were equivalent to a bad skin burn. Eventually enough time passed and I am no longer allergic to walnuts and fresh pineapple.

I can give you two recommendations for lip balm. One is a lip balm made with macadamia nut and kukui oils, along with white beeswax, coconut oil, castor oil, avacado oil, jajoba oil and vitamin E. You have to do a search to find a maker who uses that combination. It is an excellent lip balm. The second is a French lip balm, called Amilab. I don't know the ingredients, but it is a real high end lip balm that provides excellent protection. I am pretty certain the two lip balms I mentioned do not contain peppermint oil.

Darcy

SunDog/Dr. Bronner's makes some nice ones, too. I have the ginger one. I think I put up a link before somewhere. This is the balm that's nursing my lips back to health after my last Burning Burt's Bees encounter. (I'm a slow learner)

Here it is again. http://www.drbronner.com/sun_product...gredients.html

They support a couple of cool charities. And I've been using Dr. Bronner's soap since I was a baby.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 01-13-2007 at 01:09 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    After my Burt's reaction, I looked around and found a lip balm that was gentle and didn't burn my lips- I settled on the Kiss My Face lip balm sticks which don't hurt my lips:
    http://www.kissmyface.com/Category/K...anic+Lip+Care/
    I didn't like the ginger one. I like the peach one and have been using that, but the honey/vanilla one now sounds tempting! (as long as I don't EAT it).
    I'll look for the Dr Bronner's too. Oddly, I love the Bronner's peppermint castille liquid soap in the shower, and that don't burn me anywhere- just feels nice and cool.

P.S. thanks Emily
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lisa - LOVE your new avatar!

Electra Townie 7D

Thanks Queen! (Queen Bee??)

It's kind of funny, but bees sort of keep popping up in my life.
    I have a bee tattoo....one of my daughters has an entomology degree and wound up working in the bee dept at CornellU....I run a little side business that has a bee playing banjo as it's logo...other stuff too...

Then I started this thread because the last 2 months I've been having a craving for honey something fierce. That's when I looked for a bee-ish image that might reflect my "inner beedom"...and found this image. En garde! I really love it, it's similar to how I feel inside when I have my Shebeest yellow and black biking jacket on with my yellow helmet...I feel like some sort of super bee when I wear them.

Besides, I got bored with my dopey old avatar.
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    Thanks Queen! (Queen Bee??)

It's kind of funny, but bees sort of keep popping up in my life.
    I have a bee tattoo....one of my daughters has an entomology degree and wound up working in the bee dept at CornellU....I run a little side business that has a bee playing banjo as it's logo...other stuff too...

Then I started this thread because the last 2 months I've been having a craving for honey something fierce. That's when I looked for a bee-ish image that might reflect my "inner beedom"...and found this image. En garde! I really love it, it's similar to how I feel inside when I have my Shebeest yellow and black biking jacket on with my yellow helmet...I feel like some sort of super bee when I wear them.

Besides, I got bored with my dopey old avatar.
    Cool about your daughters college job, I have a good friend who worked the bee labs when she was in college...she painted dots of the back of the bees (I have no idea why?).

BTW - A bee tattoo sounds very unique.

Electra Townie 7D

do we get to see pics of the bee tattoo?

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    do we get to see pics of the bee tattoo?
    Sorry, only DH gets to see it!

Yes, my daughter painted dots on bees too for a while, to track their movements, breeding, and such. She used to send me honey and pollen. At one time she and I both kept tarantulas. Nowadays she has traded the fluttering wings of butterflies for the turning leaves of books- she works at a big library in Northampton MA and is in charge of repairing and restoring all their valuable books. She likes to work with handmade books, bookbinding, and artists' books, and she makes poetry chapbooks with her partner (a performance poet & playwright)- she was just too creative for entomolgy!

What makes honey crystallize?? I bought a little jar of buckwheat honey and 2 weeks after I opened it it has strated forming little crunchie crystals- yummy!- but why does it happen?
    Lisa

Someone was asking about the Honey Stingers. They are GREAT! They taste SO much better than regular energy gels. But beware, one of the guys said that if you eat too many of them at a time, you can get diarrhea. I don't know if you get that from regular gels, so maybe you could alternate. However, Stingers, in moderation, are very yummy.