Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

winter riding tips?

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I just tried riding my new Bianchi Axis in sloppy conditions for the first time this morning. I went out for a run while it was still dark out and by the time I got back it was snowing hard and had dropped four degrees. I packed my commute backpack, changed into bike clothes and headed out. By this time two inches of snow had accumulated and started to pack in the morning rush traffic. About a block from my house, a line of cars stopped abruptly at a green (someone must have been pulling out further down the street). I grabbed a handful of brake and my bike slid right out from under me on a patch of ice. Luckily no cars behind me... I think I'll have a nice bruise on my hip tonight (hurts a little to walk), but that's about it, and the pretty new bike has didn't get even one scratch, just scuffed up one corner of bar tape (I cushioned its fall I guess) -- but I realized I really have no idea how to handle my bike in this kind of weather. I sheepishly walked my bike a block back home, showered and drove in (witnessed a few car accidents on the way, making me feel slightly less defeated).

So can anyone give me tips for handling, braking, etc (basically for not crashing) in slippery conditions? Also tire tips? I currently have the tires that came on the bike - since it's a cross, they're fairly knobby 700x35s running a fairly low psi.

I really want to ride this winter...

where do you live, Liza?

there are special tires for riding in snow; but unless you have them, you're going to slip and fall on ice.
    let me rephrase that, on ice, EVERYTHING slips. Those cool tires HELP but don't make slipping go away.

So some days, you need to walk your bike ..
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Thanks Mimi. I live in Burlington, Vermont (where until now we've been having an unusually warm winter).

There was a recent forum discussion on crazyguyonabike.com about using studded tires for winter riding. Just in case it might be useful to you, it's at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum...ssage_id=41059.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

ah. So you live in a place where you actually have to contend with a lot of snow most winters.
    More people will post here, i promise . I was thinking you lived near me, because it snowed here last night, and my advice would be, don't bike in the snow unless you have to, because we just don't get snow that often!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I'll ride in just about anything, but I really don'tlike falling down. So when it's fresh ice and snow... it's just physics. There are only two wheels and it's slippery. Not only that, those silly cars can slide into me.

THe past five years or so, that's meant maybe 5 days out of the year that snow & ice kept me from riding. However, if I were somewhere like Vermont... the addiction would be too great and I would feel compelled to get studded tires. They cost a bit and they're a lot more work - I wish they made them for the old Schwinn's so that bike could be a Dedicated Ice Bike and I wish I had the savvy to stud them myself.

Hint: if you're going out in the snow, do *not* put your keys in your pants pockets. Landing on them makes your hip even sorer and tears a hole in your sweats.

I'll ride anything in any weather. Well, except for a flash freeze when I look out the window and see students trying to walk up the hill to school looking like ants in a bathtub.

Have you ever run on an ice rink? It's very possible; you just need to be careful, especially on stops and turns. Once you get going with the right feel, in a straight line, it's not bad.

Riding a bike on ice and snow is a lot like running on an ice rink (or driving in snow, for that matter). Always assume you are on pure ice. Leave absolutely ridiculous amounts of space, slow RIGHT down (gradually) for turns. Be prepared for sideways slippage and react calmly. Perhaps lower your seat a little so you can rebalance with your feet before physics commit you to a fall.

I find skinny road tires good for cutting through snow and minimizing sideways slippage. I'm already used to being cautious on them, and they alert me right away when I'm getting into dangerously slippery territory. But then again I'm a little crazy.

Good luck and glad to see you aren't giving up after nature bruises your ego! Happens to everyone

New York Times -- Ice Bike story, interview request

I'm a contributing reporter for New York Times. Doing a story on ice biking this week, specifically focusing on a race series in Minnesota and the athletes training for the event that stud their tires with sheet-metal screws and pedal on the glaze solid surface of a frozen lake.

I'm looking for other areas in the U.S. (and beyond) where ice races take place. (Ice, not snow.)

Can anyone help? I've heard about races in Vermont or N.H., but cannot find any details.

Please forward this message on to anyone in the know.

Please email me direct with any help -- Regenold@gmail.com

Thanks,

--Stephen Regenold
    regenold@gmail.com; 612/723-0279

I've been sort of figuring out that riding stuff, especially this morning when I forgot to take the plowed road (that's busier) and rode on the unplowed residential one. (And we've only had an inch or so - but it doesn't take much to knock you down!) I got off & walked twice but *mostly* I was brave and even tried to relax and smile and just be really, really alert and balanced. It was only a mile of the patchy stuff but it was a looooong mile
    It's still snowing now... so we'll just have to see about tomorrow. I just hate driving any more (mainly 'cause with it being winter, commuting is my only riding).

In the snow and ice, studded tires really make a difference. You still have to be careful, but you will have a better chance at staying upright.

Failing studs, my recommendation is for riding with at least knobby tires in the winter. Liza - it sounds like your tires and tire pressure should be ok. The main issue is with braking. I've found that grabbing JUST the rear brake in these kinds of conditions will help prevent the entire bike from sliding out from beneath me. However, put a foot out to steady yourself if you have to brake hard - just in case. This tactic also works well when turning/cornering.

You also need to ensure that you keep even pressure on your pedal strokes. This will help prevent the tire from spinning if it is slick. If you see a slippery spot, ease up on the pedals some and DO NOT STEER! Any quick turns of the bars will also put you off the bike quickly.

I ride most of the winter (granted, not commuting since I work in my basement ), and [touch wood] haven't gone down in quite a long time... I hope this helps some!

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

I got home just fine - it was s nowing but it was all wet. THis morning we'd had an inch more... but I remembered to stick to the better roads (not all good, but pretty good).
    I'm plowin' through the nasty stuff, doin' okay... and this dude on a yellow road bike streaks by me on the right. He had no trouble... didn't look like knobby tyres to me Nice thing about heavy but very well made bike - it is pretty steady as she goes like a big ol' Mercedes...

So, Sue, how are you doing in this incredibly cold weather? I gave up about a week ago and I'm already feeling "lumpy"!! Too much black ice up here in northern IL right now, so I'm waiting for a bit of a thaw.

BTW, do you hose down your bike after riding in all this salt? It's just awfully heavy on the roads right now. I worry about my bike dissolving by spring!