Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Question White Bar Tape- Cleaning?

I had white bar tape on my Fuji. Since we are planning to sell the bike, I would like to clean the bar tape. The tape is in good condition and a buddy did an amazing wrap job on it (regular tape felt as good as my new gel tape), I hate to replace the tape. He moved to PA, I can't get him to re-wrap the bars.

Anyone got an idea how to get some of the black/grey off the white tape? Anyone know why they insist on using the hideous white tape?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

hmmmmmmmmm the silence here is deafening. I have yellow tape on my bike which is still clean but... this would be useful information!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Mimi- I may have found our answer (thanks Google).

OXICLEAN! This stuff does the trick. I use the powdered formula, mix with some warm water. Use an abrasive kitchen sponge - the kind that are "scrubby" on one side. Gently scrub the tape with the cleanser and let it sit on for a few minutes.Wipe off with the non scrubby side of the sponge. Scrub harder if your tape is particularly dirty.
    Anyone else have any suggestions?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I'm a white bar tape girl. I've had it for years and clean it each time I ride in the winter ( the black leathger palms on my long gloves get it dirty) and once a month or so in the summer. I use Simple Green sprayed onto a white towel and then you wrap the towel around the bar and rub it back & forth. I'm having a tough time describing it, but you'll figure it out. Clean as new!

Powdered clothes washing detergent. Make a paste out it with water and scrub the tape using an old toothbrush. Wipe of with a clean, damp rag. Voila. The granules from the paste makes a nice non-abrasive cleaner and it seems to refresh the finish nicely.

Simple Green can take off decals and may damage organic or cork-based tapes.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Can't say about white, but I have yellow and Celeste bar tape, which gets mighty grubby like white. Mr Clean Magic Erasers work great...just wet them and wipe the bar wrap gently a few times. Dry w/ a towel. Works great.
    All vintage, all the time.
    Falcon Black Diamond
    Gitane Tour de France
    Kuwahara Sierra Grande MTB
    Bianchi Super Grizzly MTB