Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: sunglasses?

sunglasses?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm looking for some good, but not ridiculously expensive sunglasses for biking that will protect my sun-sensitive eyes without falling off my nose. I found some suggestions on another biking forum, but when I looked at them they all looked very masculine (they may actually be men's styles). These were Smith Diablo, Rudy Project and Bolle Vigilante. Any other ideas?

I've been using a pair that my husband bought from Performance. Here is the link. http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=16370

They were too small for him, but fit me perfectly. The good thing is that they are relatively inexpensive and have 4 lenses that come with, tthe bad part is that they are not exactly feminine.

It's hard to answer this without knowing what your price range is (ridiculously expensive means different things to different people). And I'm not sure how to address the "masculine" complaint.

One thing: eyewear doesn't just protect your eyes from the sun; it also protects your eyes from the ground when you biff. I don't know if you're a roadie or a MTBer, but either way, at some point you're going to go face first into the ground, or a shrapnel-like bit of ground is going to fly straight at your face. This is a good reason to have swap-out lenses, so that you're never tempted to go without sunglasses in the evening.

Anyway, given that eyewear is about more than sun damage, one reason the styles may look "masculine" to you is that they cover so much of your eye area. That's by design, to protect your eyes. Better to look dorky than to damage your cornea, I always say!

I just got the rudy project kerosene.
    It's definitely the right fit for my face -- it covers all of my eye area without touching my skin. I got the racing red for variable light conditions, with a darker brown lens for full-time sun. I'm planning on going back for clear, too. Anyway, that's one model you might try. It doesn't cover nearly enough of my husband's face, but is just right for me.

If you can find a really good sports eyewear store, that can make a huge difference. I visited Tom's Sportique Eyewear in Boulder, CO several times before deciding on this pair. The owner was extremely knowledgeable, and he wasn't afraid to tell me what he thought about the fit from a safety and ventilation standpoint, even if I thought they looked dorky. In the end, though, I really like the ones I got.
    monique

Definitely check out performancebikes.com....they've got several models that are made for smaller faces. The prices are reasonable, I think. I tried some, though I didn't quite like the fit on my face, but really like the looks of them. I've now got Oakley half jackets and wouldn't trade them for the world! More expensive but worth it...

Thumbs up

I have the same Performance Quattros as Luann and really like them - and the price is right. I don't care if they aren't "feminine" - I leave that to my cute jerseys and socks!

Emily

And your pink bike! (At least it looks pink in the little phote next to your post.)

I have the Performance Athena's, which are feminine, but a trade-off, because I probably do not get absolute maximum coverage...

~Angie

I've just started cycling, but I wear Bolle downdraft sunglasses. I like them 'cause they wrap around and protect the side as well as the front from git and bugs etc. I already had them for normal wear. They look better than the pic. Mine are blue. I've enclosed a link so you can have a look. Hope this helps.
    Margaret

http://www.sporteyes.com/bollealtitude.htm#*Downdraft
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades. - Eddy Merckx

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8926098@N05/

Thread is a little old, but I just wanted to add I recently got a pair of Native's and I love them!

http://www.nativeyewear.com

(I had lots of trouble deciding between the "silencer" and "dash")

i'm no help.. i wear oakley half jackets (blue.. cuz i have a blue bike) and even bought an additional pair of blue lenses cuz i wanted the shaped ones versus the curvy ones

Am I the only one who still uses a rear view mirror on my glasses? Anyone have advice for glasses that accomodate a mirror... and protect, fit, screen rays, etc.?

Hi Barb ~

No indeed, you're not the only rear-view mirror-wearing geek! I wouldn't leave home without mine (Take-a-Look). Just can't imagine riding on the roads without one!

I wear cycling sunglasses made by Performance - can't remember the exact model, but they're one of the ones for smaller faces and came with three interchangeable lens colors. I really like them, and they were on sale for around $30 so a great deal too. The mirror works fine with them.

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thanks! I checked the Performance web site, and they had 32 models! Can you help me narrow it down a little? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbarb
    Thanks! I checked the Performance web site, and they had 32 models! Can you help me narrow it down a little? Thanks.
    The 32 models include other manufacturers ~ mine are Performance's house brand. There are still several of those, but I think most would work with rear-view mirrors. The key is to have straight ear pieces rather than big, fancy, curved jobbers, so the mirror clips on and stays on. I took a look at their web page, and I am pretty sure that I got the Vega model. But I think most of their house brands would work. Good luck!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thumbs up Sunglasses review

Yet another new sunglasses review:

I am currently wearing Tifosi Envy glasses. Full retail is ~$50 US and that includes three lenses (blue, race "red" and clear in this case), a soft cleaning bag and a hard-shell zippered carrying case.

Great glasses for small faces. Every female who has tried on a pair at the shop has bought them. They are no better, but no worse, that Oakley's as far as lens-scratching.....but for less than 1/2 of the price of Half-Jackets I can live with that!

You can find these on-sale online or sometimes at event expos. I saw them for $25-30 per pair at a tandem rally this summer.

About the lenses: Different models come with ~sliightly~ different color selections, so ask! The mirror-blue is dark; I like it for xc skiing. I use the race "red" (more of a pinky brown) for most road riding (good on overcast days or changing light condiditons). The clear is great for heavily treed single-track and night riding.

For comparison, I've also used glasses by Oakley, Smith, Rudy Project, and Nike.

I give the Tifosi's two thumbs up!