Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborajen View Post
    In my hometown, it's legal to ride a bike on the sidewalks except in the downtown business district. We also have a "bike path" system (it's not the best), and some of that system is sidewalk. Although I prefer to ride on the less busy streets, you can't always get from point A to point B that way and if there's a short stretch of heavy traffic to contend with - on a street with no shoulder, I'd definitely get on the sidewalk - go nice and easy and watch all around - rather than put myself out with tons of machinery cutting around me by inches.

Although I agree it's a good general rule to ride on the street and not the sidewalk, never say "never." --

Deb
    Sounds a whole lot like Champaign-Urbana and my decision process.

A dogmatic soul is going to find *some* reason to shut me out anyway... if it weren't that trip on the sidewalk, I'm sure there would be some other equally arbitrary label that would suffice. I'm not a cyclist because - oh, heaven forfend! - I actually *think* and decide instead of following The Dogma (Not a law, now... just somebody's dogma). My karma long since ran over my dogma.

Quote Originally Posted by Aint Doody View Post
    I agree with Deb--never say never. There are some busy, busy bridges with no cycling lanes but sidewalks. I certainly will ride on those sidewalks.

Man, that sounds like my commute! 3 lane on either side, and no shoulder, just a concrete divider between the 'pedestrian walkway'. Even worse, it raises up so that once you chug up it, there's little vision behind you if you need to change lanes. On my commute, I have to make a left after this bridge, so that means I need to change 3 lanes (4, including turning lanes) to get suitably in the left lane to turn, while people are going 35-45 mph up over this hill. If they go too fast (and this is often wall to wall traffic) there's no way in heck they'd see me or be able to brake in time.

I solved this by riding on the pedwalk (and even that is scary, barely wide enough for one bike with cement barrier on one side and 2 story drop to the Schuylkill on the other) and then cutting through the sidewalk and parking lot of the Frosty Falls ice cream parlour. I ride the sidewalk until a point where traffic slows a bit or there is a crosswalk, and then move across the lanes.

I should take a picture of it some time. It is one of the only times I have ridden on the sidewalk on my road bike, since learning better.

It was truly a hair-raising section of the commute until I figured out the sidewalk thing!

K.

Quote Originally Posted by Geonz View Post
    Sounds a whole lot like Champaign-Urbana and my decision process.

A dogmatic soul is going to find *some* reason to shut me out anyway... if it weren't that trip on the sidewalk, I'm sure there would be some other equally arbitrary label that would suffice. I'm not a cyclist because - oh, heaven forfend! - I actually *think* and decide instead of following The Dogma (Not a law, now... just somebody's dogma). My karma long since ran over my dogma.
    Sue, your commute is NUTS! I can't imagine braving Bradley Ave. every day...I'd be up on that sidewalk in a heartbeat.

Electra Townie 7D

Actually, it is legal to ride a bike on the sidewalk in California in some cities. Local laws sometimes permit it. I have heard (but don't know for sure) that it is legal to ride on the sidewalk in Los Angeles. Here in Sacramento, I always thought it was illegal but then found out that it is legal in residential areas.

If I can find a sidewalk, it would be illegal for me to ride on it.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I pretty much ignored this thread until I saw the post about PM's, so I took a gander over here.

In Montgomery County, Maryland, it is legal to ride on sidewalks in the business district. In fact, their multi-modal transportation hub (both current and planned revisions) in the downtown Silver Spring area (where I work) integrates hiker/biker trails right alongside the bus depot with bike parking right at the mouth of the entrance to the Metro (subway) station. It's all one big mish-mash. There is no viable way for me to get to my office via bicycle without spending at least SOME time on the sidewalk.

"Right of way" is never something you have: it is something you GIVE. Give it as often as necessary to stay alive!

I thought sidewalk riding was always illegal: I am glad to learn it is not. I will have to check local laws and see what they say here. On my favorite ride, there is a short block of sidewalk that is really safer than making a left turn onto a busy street, and then immediately another left turn on to the side street.

Well, I just checked it out and in that area it was illegal for them to ride on the sidewalk.

Which doesn't mean I'd do the same thing again. I found it disturbing how easily I knee-jerked a decision that would have been different if they'd been in the street.

It's really kind of odd because I've seen them ride in that same street many times (assuming it's the same missionaries) and there wasn't a lot of traffic that day. The sidewalks have all been "ramped" so that wheelchairs can go up and down them easily, so there's no need to bunny-hop them, so I can see the temptation on a busy day. But this day? Not busy.

Which raises another question -- there are a couple of people in wheelchairs that I've seen in the STREET even after dark, when the sidewalks are all accessable!

Crazy world.

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by pooks View Post
    Which raises another question -- there are a couple of people in wheelchairs that I've seen in the STREET even after dark, when the sidewalks are all accessable!
    "Real" wheelchairists ride on the sidewalk.

Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lisa. Your room. No chocolate. No telephone.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by pooks View Post
    Lisa. Your room. No chocolate. No telephone.

(slinking off, lower lip trembling....)
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I saw this bumpersticker on the back of a wheelchair (not kidding!)

"Don't like my driving? Get off the sidewalk!"

Some of the motorized wheelchairs are so top-heavy and have such small wheels that i don't think they can be at all comfortable on those wheelchair ramps at the sidewalk crossings.

My cousin had a motorized chair for bad days, but he didn't like it much. He attached a snowplow to the front of it and burned out the motor plowing his driveway... He can seriously kick b*tt in his handcycle. He'll ride 50 miles without blinking. And he pops his manual wheelchair up and over rocks and logs and curbs... he's a nut. (he's a 20-something, what can ya say?)

BTW, the bumpersticker wasn't on his chair, it was on someone else's.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Your cousin rocks!

I'm of the "never say never" camp, but I do have a strong opinion about the young, male LDS missionaries on their bikes: If the LDS church is going to send these young men out into the world with their bikes as their main form of transportation, they should darn well send them to a LAB Road I training beforehand. I think it's just criminal to make them go out there and use their bikes with few if any traffic skills. They should also be educated on the traffic laws as pertains to cyclists of the area where they will be having their mission.

Perhaps if any of you who are reading this are LDS, you can suggest this to the relevant folks in your church structure?