Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Passing Out

Passing Out

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm really new to road biking and went out for a 10 km cycle yesterday evening. Everything was going fine until I decided to tackle a hill that was way beyond my fitness capacity. Anyway I had to stop near the top as my lungs felt like they were about to explode. I couldn't talk, was finding it hard to take proper breaths I then bent over and put my hands on my knees to try and relax and I passed out. Next thing I knew my husband (thank God he was there) was calling my name and trying to get me to wake up. Has this ever happend to any of you?.It's never happend to me before but I've never had this much excercise. Next time I'm walking up the hill..

I've never actually fainted, but here's something I was taught at martial arts class:

When you're out of breath, *do not* compress your body by bending at the waist or hunching. That just limits the amount of air your lungs can get. Instead, stand up straight and walk around slowly. It's a good idea to put your hands behind your head, inmate-style, to help expand your rib cage and keep your body upright.

The walking helps keep your legs from cramping.

I've used the above exercise in exactly the types of situations you're describing: lungs on fire, hyperventilating, feeling ill.

What a scary experience! Don't let it discourage you from hard rides, but definitely don't let your ego get in the way of knowing when to quit. (That's something I do all the time =/ )
    monique

magrat22,

Probably you passed out because of a sudden drop in your blood pressure. You were working so hard and then you just stopped. Stopped cold without any chance for your body to recover gradually. When you are pedaling, your legs going round and round, the pumping motion of your legs is assisting your heart in pumping the blood through your body. When you quit suddenly, your heart doesn't have time to take over, your blood pressure drops precipitously and you black out. Did you ever see stars or feel dizzy when you stood up very quickly? Similar things, you just went beyond that point. What bounceswoosh suggested would keep you moving and let you recover bit by bit. In almost any sport, after a hard effort, you will see people cool down before they quit what they were doing. There's definitely a reason for that.

Don't let the hill get to you. Keep riding and eventually, you'll be able to conquer it.

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

similar thing happened to me last year. it was my first ride in years, and i was tackling a hill that now seems rather small and sad. but i was out of shape and in the wrong gear and being stubborn beyond belief. i did get to the top, but i had to stop and rest. i was sitting on the grass beside the street panting like mad and a jogger who just made it up the same hill asked me if i was okay. how embarassing! in retrospect, i did everything wrong during and after to make it up the hill and then recover. live and learn! and really, instead of a nice woman jogger, it could have been a sexy guy i was embarassed in front of. thank god for small favours!
    I used to dream about ice cream, Antonio Banderas, and daquiris on the beach. Now, i dream about fresh pavement...

That wrong gear thing is killer!

When I started MTBing last year, for some reason I got it into my head that it was "wussy" to use my granny gear -- or even the whole granny ring!

Let's just say I don't have that problem anymore. I live in my granny gear. Well, granny gear + 1, just to give me a little extra oomph on obstacles. It's amazing to me how much more ground I can cover this way.
    monique

OMG I didn't want to mention I was too stubborn to change the gear too in case you thought I was really daft. I had gone up a smaller hill the day before on the middle cog (the gears on my left brake, the second one..I don't know what the proper name for it is sorry) and thought I could do the same on this hill..!! Anyway I've learnt my lesson, thanks so much for the great advice I'll remember to keep moving when I get off the bike and to use the right gears

Originally posted by magrat22
    OMG I didn't want to mention I was too stubborn to change the gear too in case you thought I was really daft.
    LOL! Like we haven't all done that more times than we want to admit! I certainly don't think you are daft. Sometimes I have to chant to myself, "Gears are good - use them! Gears are good - use them!" Or, "Spin, spin, spin,spin......."

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

as part of my initial learning curve, i was basically not using my gears for the first month or two i was riding. not my brightest move! but i was concentrating on other things like traffic, endurance, etc. i caught up eventually!
    now i realize that many many factors go into my gearing, including my initial speed, my energy level, the size of the hill, traffic, etc. it's very complex, and i'm sure it will be a couple years before i always know what i'm doing. sometimes i still look down at my gear levers and wanna smack myself, 'yeah, that's why i'm a little tired. duh!' don't worry, it happens to all of us!
    I used to dream about ice cream, Antonio Banderas, and daquiris on the beach. Now, i dream about fresh pavement...

I've decided it's a lot like learning to drive stick. When I started driving stick, it was a real ordeal to shift, and I'd only do it when absolutely necessary. Now, I shift constantly, because it's not this huge stressful event anymore -- it's just part of driving, like using the turn signal or hitting the gas.

I've noticed that I shift a lot more on my bike than I used to, but I'm still hesitant to shift unless I think it's "absolutely necessary." I'm sure that in time, I'll be more willing to shift in situations where it'll give me a small boost.
    monique

Hah!

I too was a stubbon shofter-
    I went everywhere up every hill on the biggest wheel- oh yeah-
    Silly, isn't it?
    The ego is a funny thing.
    I would stand up and just crank, using my body for leverage as I attempted to get up the hill. I got pretty good at it too. And my arms were muscular from that action!

Then I went mtn biking and found out that the granny gear is your friend.

And then I read somewhere- might have even been here- that when going up a steep grade, try this- count to ten, drop a gear, count to ten and drop a gear- etc etc etc. And before you know it- you're up the hill.

Know what?
    It works!

Kimba
    SS ( stubborn shifter) no more.

Hmmm...maybe thats the attraction for SS
    (singlespeed) biking enthusiasts???
    >: P
    Whe you come to the end of all you know-
    and you are about to step off into the darkness
    faith is knowing one of two things will happen-
    there will be something solid to stand on-
    or you will be taught to fly...

Just a caution here though Magrat,

You might want to check in with your doc too, just to cover your bases. -- Unless of course you have always been in shape, and it's just "biking" that you are new to, and not exercise as a whole. Never a bad idea to let your doc know what you are up to. He/she can make sure your BP, Hemoglobin, blood sugar etc are all up to snuff, and ready for intensive exercise.

On the other hand, my brother used to be a doc in the Navy and said his Marines told him that...

"If yer not pukin', yer not tryin'"

Somehow that doesn't seem too appealing to me - hee hee!

Thanks Doctorfrau, I've booked in for a full medical on the 14th of June so fingers crossed everything will come out all clear.

Kerri

My blood pressure drops quickly and I will faint if I just come to a cold stop when exercising. I have to cool down. Sorry that happened! It makes you feel terrible! Definitely have Gatorade at hand as it will help you come out of feeling badly faster.