Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butter Question

Butter Question

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a rather...ahem...personal question. I was told that it is very important to use some sort of chamois cream when riding long distances, however, I have a very sensitive "area" (meaning I am very prone to UTI's and yeast infections"). Can using chamois butter irritate this area? DH and I bought a few of the one time use things of Chamois Butt'r, but before I slather it on and hop on the bike, I want to make sure the cream will make the ride more pleasant, not make me want to turn around and cry. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there one product that's better for this than another? Please help as we have a long ride on Saturday morning. Thanks, ladies.

yeast infection

I haven't had a yeast infection in years ,but I got one when I started riding long distances. Not sure if this is the right answer ,but I bought some Monistat cream ,and used it the night before a long ride...it seems to work ,but I'm not sure if that is the right thing to do...Oh, I also use the Butt'r ,and I haven't had a problem. I'm sure someone else will have a different answer. Good luck

I only use chamois butt'r along the creases between my inner thighs and groin area and a bit on the outer labia; not anywhere on or inside the sensitive inner labia (though I know some on this board who do use it there). For me it just prevents the rubbing on the outside where I tend to get road rash -- I ride a saddle with a cut-out to prevent pressure on the girly bits so don't need to "butt'r" those areas up! If you're nervous, just use it where I've mentioned, not in the center, and you'll certainly be safe with it!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I don't use any butter for long rides.... maybe if I had to do a double century or something I would consider, but up to 100 miles I don't get any rash, just a bit of pressure sensitivity which cream or butter won't really help...

when women reach menopause the natural lube seems to go away so for protection on long rides, chamois butter really helps.
    I wouldn't put it anywhere that would cause an infection.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Something I've been meaning to post about. I'm post-menopausal which causes dryness and irritation, esp when I ride. I did a little research and have recently started using a cream with teatree oil. the oil is a natural anti-inflammatory and is also a fungicide. I love this stuff. I plan on investing in a teatree oil soap too. This is more of an after ride thing, so I'm not saying not to use a butter. But I've been meaning to pass this info along.

I had the female owner of a LBS recommend Assos Chamois cream to me over the Chamois Butt'r. The Assos stuff has witch hazel in it and while it gives you a 'cooling' effect that's a bit unnerving until you get used to it, it does have anticeptic properties (is that the word I'm looking for?) that are beneficial to women. It's more expensive than Chamois Butt'r as well. I've been using it for 2 years now and I've not had any adverse effects (I am not prone to yeast infections or UTI's though). I also no longer feel the 'cooling' sensation as vividly as when I first started using it (I only use it for rides over 50 miles long).

It's important to use something ... IF you need it. I have not; couple of times I've had chafing or soreness but always a gear issue. However, I'm on a hybrid and haven't done anything longer than 160 miles in a day... depends on what you mean by "longer"

I've never used chamois butter, but have used something similar called "3B Action Cream"... no running around and crying - except it was expensive.

Then remembered all the nappies I have changed and went and got a big pot of Zinc and Castor Oil cream from the chemist.

To prevent chaffing and "nappy rash" and very soothing and healing during and after a ride also. Its made for sensitive baby skin, so should be ok on yours too. AND it is loads cheaper!!!

Good luck

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I don't get rashes or infections from riding, but...
    I just put a dab of hypoallergenic hand/body cream on my private parts area before I ride.
    If I don't use anything, I find that my girly parts can get sort of stuck into one position and that is uncomfortable after a while. If I use a bit of cream/moisturizer however, then my girly parts can better slide around and rearrange themselves as needed during the ride and it's way more comfortable. (sorry, no other way to describe it!) I don't do 100mile rides yet(!), but this helps for my 20-40 mile rides. I don't want to use any petroleum based stuff like Vaseline or BagBalm, as I don't like that petroleum stuff for my body and also it won't wash out easily, too greasy.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Kitsune06 Guest
    I have no such problems. Perhaps it is youthful lubricity, hedge trimming, my type of jewelry or frequency of sexual activity, but genital shifting and sticking has never been an issue. I suggest the above? Buttering is great, esp. with garlic.

Seriously, though, I just use a little at the thigh/softparts intersection... don't need it much elsewhere. Long rides, sorry, jewelry comes out. Re: the infection bit, I'd stay the EFF away from petroleum based anything, oils, etc. great for trapping moisture. shower well, don't soap, and if it's bad, use monistat or the like creme, maybe w/ a little vinegar and/ or tea tree oil to lower the ph and act as natural fungicides. uhh... careful with the TT oil. *shiver* it's... uh... well... you'll get it.

Luckily I too have no such troubles however it has been reccommended by some that the baby cream "Bordeau's Butt Cream" is great as a lube - and if its safe enough for a baby................??
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

Quote Originally Posted by Meaux View Post
    I have a rather...ahem...personal question. I was told that it is very important to use some sort of chamois cream when riding long distances, however, I have a very sensitive "area" (meaning I am very prone to UTI's and yeast infections"). Can using chamois butter irritate this area? DH and I bought a few of the one time use things of Chamois Butt'r, but before I slather it on and hop on the bike, I want to make sure the cream will make the ride more pleasant, not make me want to turn around and cry. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there one product that's better for this than another? Please help as we have a long ride on Saturday morning. Thanks, ladies.

Have you ever had a problem with chafing/saddle sores or are you just hearing you should? I am from the camp of no cream. My saddle has a cut out, which relieves pressure to the most sensitive parts. Now that I am a little chubbier than I like my thighs are lightly chafed. But I take care of those with Aveno lotion when I get home.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I have heard that it's a good idea to use it. No problems on the tushy, other than a little numbness and soreness on the sit bones. (We're taking the bikes to get fitted tonight, ladies!!) But I just heard it was advisable to use chamois cream to prevent saddle sores on long long rides (i.e. the MS150). But, again, I'm just worried about using it, because I want no irritation. Does it spread as you sweat? (Sorry if I'm being gross, I don't know who else to ask. I can't imagine asking some bike guy at an LBS. ) Is it like a lotion that you rub in, or does it stay outside the skin as an extra layer?

I would stay away from using Monistat as a preventative measure. You could be breeding resistance.

The chamois butt'r is like a very thin lotion. It is not a heavy lubricant. I could almost imagine using it as hand lotion. It's light and comes off easily. I haven't had UTIs or yeast problems from riding, but best way to prevent is to pee and shower right after riding.
    ~ Susie

"Keep plugging along. The finish line is getting closer with every step. When you see it, you won't remember that you are hurting, that anything has gone wrong, or just how slow or fast you are.
    You will just know that you are going to finish and that was what you set out to do."
    -- Michael Pate, "When Big Boys Tri"