Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: My Big Trip

Hybrid View

My Big Trip

Hi All

Just wanted to let you know about my husband and I and our trip from his home town of Stockton-on-Tees in the UK to mine of Brisbane, Australia.

We're currently in France chilling on a day off in the sunshine and very nice it is indeed.

We're currently heading south to Marseille, then to Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, Southern Italy and across to Greece where we've got tickets for the Olympics to see the Men's Road Race as well as the swimming (I am an Aussie after all!).

After that we're hopefully heading to Egypt, Jordan and Syria as long as it doesn't get too dodgy there and then up through Eastern Europe to Russia.

If you have any advice on any of these routes or if you want some (we're learning very fast) please drop me a line. Our URL is in my sig.

Vic
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK to Brisbane, Australia - It's the Big Trip - www.bigtrip.blogspot.com

Whoa, nice trip keep us updated.

I love to watch swimming too!

A friend (French) just returned from Jordan and said no problems.
    Enjoy the ride!

Ah - I am so jealous! Sardinia is amazing! Check out a little fishing village by the name of Cala Gonone - amazing rock climbing right out of the water! Plus the people are so amazing and the views incredible.

Enjoy your stay - I am with you in spirit!

I am so jealous!!! Watching the Athens Olympics! The swimming, let me say a few things and sorry if i offend any Americans on the website - Up with Thorpey, Matt Welsh, Michael Klim and the whole team, I hope they kick Gary Hall Jr, Lenny Krayzelburg and friends right out of that pool! (they are the main opposition after all)

PS - if you can get tickets to the track cycling go and watch the Queenslander Anna Meares dominate the world in the women's sprint and 500m TT, as well as our 2x world champ men's pursuit team.

Olympics

Ausgirl - I'm going to the following events -

Saturday 14th August
    Men's Road Race

Saturday 21st August
    Women's 50m Freestyle Final
    Men's 1500m Freestyle Final
    Women's 50m Freestyle Medal Ceremony
    Women's 4 x 100m Medley Relay Final
    Men's 1500m Freestyle Medal Ceremony
    Men's 4 x 100m Medley Relay Final
    Women's 4 x 100m Medley Relay Medal Ceremony
    Men's 4 x 100m Medley Relay Medal Ceremony

Sunday 22nd August
    Men's Team Sprint Qualifying Round
    Women's Individual Pursuit Qualifying Round
    Men's Team Sprint First Round
    Men's Individual Pursuit Final 3-4
    Men's Individual Pursuit Final 1-2
    Men's Individual Pursuit Medal Ceremony
    Men's Team Sprint Final 3-4
    Men's Team Sprint Final 1-2
    Men's Team Sprint Medal Ceremony
    Women's Individual Pursuit First Round

We may go to other events, but we're just going to pick tickets up at the time. Supposedly, they've only sold about a third of the tickets they expected to, so we should be able to get a lot of them there.

I'm so excited by it all but. The Olympics!!!! I'll check out when Anna Meares is on and see if I can get tickets.

Where in QLD are you? I'm moving back to Brisbane at the end of the Big Trip. Loving my trip, but look forward to being home after 6 and a half years away.
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK to Brisbane, Australia - It's the Big Trip - www.bigtrip.blogspot.com

That is so cool! The 1500m freestyle and the relays, wow! You get to watch Katie Mactier in the individual pursuit and in the men's teamsprint probably Sean Eadie, maybe Shane Kelly or Jobie Dajka or some of the others. As for the men's road race, our boys are sprinting so well. Enjoy!!!

I'm in Rockhampton and stuck here for another 2 & 1/2 years while i finish uni. You'll love being back in the sunshine state. I tell you Brisbane has changed a bit, some parts of the Queen Street Mall would be hardly recognisable, Lang Park and the Gabba have both had renovations and they've put in the Busway system as well. But it's still Brissy and you'll love it.

Poor Ausgirl

I grew up in Biloela until I was 14 and have never been back since I left.... Rocky was the big smoke for me in those days...

Can't imagine how it has changed in the 16-odd years since then....

Probably hasn't!!!

AussieVic,

Bilo - Yuck! I wouldn't want to live there! As for Rocky, yeah, it hardly changes, very slowly. The country town/hicksville attitude hasn't changed much either. But its cheaper for me to do uni here than down south.

I know, I know!!!

Thank god my family left... The alternatives for a career there were slim - be a single mother or work in Woolies.... No offence to anyone who does either, just not for me the whole small town life thing.