Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Diet & Cycling

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yup, I'm sure its just because its the first week. I'm eating 1200 caloried a day which is what my Dietician suggested and less than 40 grams of fat. I haven't done much biking or swimming this week though because of the weather and I may have to up the calories on days I bike and swim.

Wink Dieting & Cycling

To give you some advice in this area - I hope I don't bore everyone. I have been on Atkins for over 8 years. It is a long term solution, it is not a "diet", it is a lifestyle choice. As Americans, we eat too much, we worry too much & are bombarded with too much. Even with low carb foods you can over eat & alot of them are processed (low carb or regular - processed is processed). Hence, the best advice to give anyone is to eat within moderation, cut back on processed foods & eat more natural foods. That is all that Atkins ever tells anyone. Most people don't get past the Induction Phase of the book and really don't understand what he's trying to say. Eat a more natural diet. That's it!! I have also come across many issues for myself regarding enough carbs & cycling. I have found that eating about 1/3 of a Mojo bar before I go out & cycle my 16 miles a day gives me the boost I need & does not affect my ketosis. I like the Mojo bars because they don't have corn syrup in them. Very bad stuff. Read labels, know what you're putting into your body. You are unique and you have to find your right groove when it comes to what makes you burn fuel the best. You have to go with how you feel. The best diet to follow is the one our grandparents had living in the midwest. Natural foods from a garden, no waffles from the corner market!! Try to look at everything you stick in your mouth - especially hydrogenated oils. Nasty, nasty, nasty. Those folks from the 60's & 70's that we thought were strange because they ate alfalfa sprouts & organic foods knew exactly what they were talking about!!

I had a total hysterectomy 5 years ago (including ovaries - oopherectomy) and have been on natural hormone replacement therapy for the last 3. It has been a rollercoaster ride definitely in trying to get everything balance, but that's another story!!

I have been cycling for a year and a half as my husband introduced me to it. WOW! I love it!! He has been cycling for 20 years and my first day on my LeMond Tourmelet I discovered very quickly two things - I MUST HAVE A WOMAN'S SEAT AND WOMEN'S SHORTS!!! Owee!!! Once I got those things, I have been happy as a clam!

Sorry, I got sidetracked........... as you get older it is much, much harder to lose weight as I have discovered even on low carb & natural hormones. If you feel good & your clothes fit good, you're awesome! And yes, muscle weighs more than fat - there will be a conversion of body fat & sometimes you can actually weigh more as you build muscle. That's just the way it is. You can always go to a fitness facility and have your percentage of body fat tested. That's the only way to know if it's fat or muscle.

Take care!!

bfl worked for me

I have to say that I have had the most success on the Body for Life Diet by Bill Philips. I lost 34 pounds in 6 months, and I felt fabulous. I have put 10 of it back on because I had not been motivated to hit the gym and eat properly all of the time. I think that his "moderate carb-protein-low fat" approach is the healthiest way to go. Just another opinion...

BFL - Cookbook - IT'S AWESOME!!!!

I posted earlier in this thread regarding BFL and the 25 lbs I've kept off for two years, what I would like to add is that his cookbook "Eating for Life" is absolutely wonderful! I've tried numerous recipes that taste unbelievable and the best thing is that my husband and kids actually LIKE them! That never happens when I'm trying new recipes! Usually it's "gross, what's that stuff" - but they've liked most of what I've tried out of the book.

If anyone is looking for some kind of guideline for meal planning, this book is full of ideas, recipes and meal plans. It was the best $20 I've made in a long time. Plain cottage cheese and tuna gets really boring after awhile!

And the best thing is that the recipes are simple and do not require elaborate preparation or ingrediants. I like to cook, but it takes time and planning to try out new things - this was a cinch.

Just another opinion.......

Oh - one last thing - if you like the BFL concept, there is a journal available where you track your workouts, meals and goals. It's a great tool to stay motivated and on track. Amazon.com offers a package deal if you buy a combination of the BFL series.

Ok I'm off the soap box for now!
    The only limits that you have in life are the ones you impose on yourself. ~author unknown~