Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dear God, Mother Earth, Father Christmas, Baby New Year, Idols, Charms and Spirits

To disable ads, please log-in.

Look, I know you all are busy with all these different things going on, what with the holidays, changing of the seasons and the new year, and I don't want to seem ungrateful. Really, I don't. It is just that when I moved up to Vermont, I figured that I would be doing a lot of skiing, or at least some riding on frozen snowmobile trails. Instead, we are entering into our....oh, I don't know....18 gazillionth mud season, making riding impossible and skiing impossibler. Oh, I know, they are trying to make snow on some of the mountains, but you guys keep popping up the temperature! I understand that you all might be miffed at all those greenhouse gasses, etc., but what about those of us who try to do our best for the environment? Is just a couple feet of snow too much to ask? Ok, what about 18 inches? And some cold weather to freeze the ground for riding? I don't want to sound B****y, but it is January, people....uh, gods....uh, sirs/ma'ams!!

Look, I will take anything I can get, but I would really appreciate it if you all could maybe have a meeting and see if something could get done before Spring hits.

Thank you very much,
    Karen
    The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew--and live through it.

Tele - I feel your pain!

Usually at the begining of each season I bring my snowboard to be waxed and tuned, this usually happens in late November, early December. Well, this year I waited and waited and waited and it's the latest I've ever gone without hitting the slopes. So I figured I had to change my thinking. I decided to go get it tuned last week, kinda thinking like "if you build it, he will come." If I wax my board, it will snow.

WELL - I came home last Saturday after a few days out of town and there was 3 inches of snow on my car in NH. Not much, but it's a start! I get so excited, I rush home, and pick up my board a day early from the shop and what happens the next day? It rains, not just rain, but pours!!! What the heck???!!

I had plans to go the Mt Snow aka Mt Mud next weekend, but now that it's supposed to be almost 60 on Saturday I might take my bike out instead. How messed up is that?

Emily
    It's only worth it if you're having fun

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Not a bit of snow yet here in upstate NY. And I bought snowshoes right after Christmas! I have faith the snow will come....
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

sounds like all the snow went to Colorado this year. Wonder how Cheri from NY is doing out there.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    Not a bit of snow yet here in upstate NY. And I bought snowshoes right after Christmas! I have faith the snow will come....
    Ah, that's the "Buy It And They Will Come" philosophy of gear shopping!

I'm with you Karen- I'm going nuts.

I like to X-country ski in the winter, and essentially stop everything else. I managed to ski this weekend, but I'm worried that the little snow we have won't last the week.

Every year it seems to get worse, someday I'll get the nerve to move to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by anakiwa View Post
    I managed to ski this weekend, but I'm worried that the little snow we have won't last the week.
    What mountain did you go to...how were the conditions??
    It's only worth it if you're having fun

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Dianyla View Post
    Ah, that's the "Buy It And They Will Come" philosophy of gear shopping!
    Yeah, like when I got my first training bra.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by CycleChic06 View Post
    What mountain did you go to...how were the conditions??
    X-country

I went to both Trapps and Craftsbury. They're both quite skiable, though certainly not the best. Supposedly Oles had good snow as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    Yeah, like when I got my first training bra.
    LOL....

I just want the mud to go away......If I have to ride all winter instead of ski, fine.....but the mud is killing me!

Anakiwa: We were out in Utah over the X-mas holiday and we started looking at property out west- And have talked about Canada, as well! I WANT WINTER, DARNIT! Hubby is going to try downhill at Killington today....but I'm not holding my breath. Especially considering it is supposed to get up toward the 60's by the end of the week and rain on Sat. I am just hoping against hope that some of the more northern mountains and areas can hold their snow. I'm surprised there is ANY X-country!
    The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew--and live through it.

Quote Originally Posted by telegirl View Post
    LOL....
    And have talked about Canada, as well! I WANT WINTER, DARNIT! Hubby is going to try downhill at Killington today....but I'm not holding my breath. Especially considering it is supposed to get up toward the 60's by the end of the week and rain on Sat. I am just hoping against hope that some of the more northern mountains and areas can hold their snow. I'm surprised there is ANY X-country!
    Forget Canada - unless you move somewhere NORTH of the St. Lawrence. My family all lives near Ottawa, and they are having the same weather we are - NO SNOW!

DH and I skied at Sunday River over the holiday. The snow was surprisingly good for man-made, but there is NO natural base or snow at all.

Lisa - new snowshoes are a small investment to be sitting in a closet. Sadly, we purchased TWO BRAND NEW SNOWMOBILES this year, and there is no place to ride...

I'm convinced that we won't see much winter this year. In fact, I'm heading out on my bike tonight after work...

SheFly

DH grows a beard every winter. He shaved it off on Sunday, hoping it would spark the old "now that I'm unprepared for winter, it will come."

No such luck. It's supposed to be fifty degrees today...

Okay, I'm in the minority here, (don't mind the lack of snow) but I'm plannning on riding my bike this Saturday. Its suppose to be 59 degrees. Who'd a thunk it. January in New England and no snow. We're heading to Whistler to find snow in Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post
    Forget Canada - unless you move somewhere NORTH of the St. Lawrence. My family all lives near Ottawa, and they are having the same weather we are - NO SNOW!

Sadly, we purchased TWO BRAND NEW SNOWMOBILES this year, and there is no place to ride...

SheFly
    I'll just stay here and whine (got cheese?). Any way we can start a Post- cyclocross season?? For those of us who are still in the 'tween time?

Most of my brother-in-laws' families bought new snowmobiles last year, were skunked on snow, and were counting on this year to get some use.....

Even the poles are losing their snow (earth, not ski)...... Maybe Father X-mas wasn't one I should have asked to help.....

Quote Originally Posted by telegirl View Post
    I'll just stay here and whine (got cheese?). Any way we can start a Post- cyclocross season?? For those of us who are still in the 'tween time?

Most of my brother-in-laws' families bought new snowmobiles last year, were skunked on snow, and were counting on this year to get some use.....

Even the poles are losing their snow (earth, not ski)...... Maybe Father X-mas wasn't one I should have asked to help.....
    You bring the w[h]ine, and I'll bring the cheese ! I'm up for another 'cross season if this weather keeps up the way it is... I'll be out on mine tonight - should be over 50 here in MA today!

Last year was a bad snow year, too, but DH and I still managed about 2000 miles on our snowmobiles. We figured we were safe to trade for this year - now we are having some regrets. I was just on the snowmobile forum, and if you think WE are whining, you should head over there!

I heard yesterday that a chunk of ice the size of Manhattan has fallen off of the polar ice cap - they're worried about the ice bergs once the shipping lanes re-open.

If this is global warming, I'm not happy about it!

SheFly

p.s.
    Karen - tell hubby to be careful on that knee if he is heading to Killington .