Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: century

Angry century

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was going to join the Team in Training and do the century in October. Well, last night I went to the information briefing and you get to train and go to the race but you also have to raise enough money to pay your way. The total comes out to about $3700.00. The fundraiser is for a good cause but I will not be around for about four of the months I could be here raising money. So I still have my heart set on doing a race when I get back. Does anyone know where I can get information on races, in the U.S.

Smile

I'd suggest checking the Bicycling magazine web site-bicycling.com-for races throughout the US. They have a pretty broad list from all over the country, as well as some decent links. Good luck!
    marys
    Bike will get you through times of no money
    better than money will get you through times of no bike.

(Don't know who said it first, but it's definitely true!)

finding centuries

Another way to find century rides is to do a search (on google, or yahoo, etc) for "century bike rides in *** state. That's how I found a whole list of ones in California and Nevada.

ride or race?

Btw, are you interested in a ride or a race?

Wink

I have a hard time finding a difference between the two so I will say race.

Question

I haven't ridden a lot of centuries, but the ones I've done weren't in any way organized as races. Sure, there were groups of riders competing with each other, and lots of riders working on improving their "personal best," but there were also many many riders just out there to enjoy the camaraderie and the scenery, not to mention having a nice, long ride with someone else setting up the route for you and laying on the bananas and gatorade every 20 miles or so.

But I was under the impression that actual bicycle races are a lot more formally organized than that, with categories of racers and prizes and sponsors and all that.

Any racers out there with any clarify info on this topic?
    "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself." --Walt Whitman

races vs rides

While rides may be "organized" in terms of start times, food stops, etc. they aren't timed for individuals. There's no first, second and third finishes. (I've done a number of rides, but no races.

Rides usually call themselves "rides" as in the "Ride for the Cure" or the "Wildflower Ride". Races do the same.

If you're interested in distance, but not necesarily riding faster than everyone else, go for a ride. If you want to compete then a race is for you. Centuries are usually rides. (except as J mentioned where people are going for personal bests or competing in small groups against their friends)

To complicate things there are different types of races like time trials, criteriums and stage races.

Wink

Im going to say ride, Im still trying to find a ride I can participate in during October after I get back. Thanks for the info.