Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 500 miles!!!

500 miles!!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

This may not be a lot of mileage for you TE women, but for me it is a huge milestone!!! Let me explain......

In May of 2006 I realized that I weighed 183 lbs. (I am 5'4") I had not weighed myself in months because I knew I had gained weight, and I didn't want to deal with it. It is the most I have ever weighed. So I decided to do something about it. This should probably be in the weight loss thread, but it does have to do with commuting!!

I joined the "phat" class at the hospital where I work. It cost $1200.00 a month PLUS $100.00 per week for the food. If you are an employee, the $1200.00 cost is waived, you just pay the $100.00 a week for the "food". I use the word "food" loosely. You drink 4 shakes a day for a whopping 800 calories a day. You meet with a dietitian and behavioral therapist weekly and the doctor once a month. You are monitored BIG time. Lab work, EKG, etc. It's a good program. They stress the importance of exercise. Find something you like, something you can continue for the rest of your life, yada, yada, yada.

I had no solid food for 2 months 10 days. While I was in this program I was asked to ride in the Tour de Pink, a bicycle ride to raise money for mammograms and breast cancer support in general. So I am thinking I've ridden bicycles off and on throughout my life, I can do a 12 mile ride. And it's a good cause.

So I go out and buy a Trek 5000 (WHICH IS AN INCREDIBLE BIKE!!) and I ride the 12 miles and all is good in the world (I wish).

I then decide that maybe I should try to ride to work every once in a while. I don't want my Trek stolen, so I go and buy a Specialized Sirrus. Words can not express my absolute joy in riding this bike!!! I love it!!!! It is a 20 mile round trip ride, and yesterday it was raining and windy but I was determined to reach my goal of 500 miles before the new year. As I was riding home I hit 500 miles and screamed out loud.....it was great........my co-workers think I am nuts, as do all the people looking at me trying to stay upright in that dang wind.......

I really thought I would get into the road cycling, and I plan to at some point in time, but for now it is all about commuting to work.

BTW - I am at my goal of 123 lbs. I could not have reached it without riding my bike.

Thanks for "listening".

Toni
    "Every man dies. Not every man really lives."
    Braveheart

http://www.foodandpoker.blogspot.com/

happy dance

Way to go Toni!!!

I'm doing the happy dance for you... *happy, happy, joy, joy*

Do you ride home or to work into a headwind? Any suggestions as i battle headwinds & sidewinds on my way home which can't be avoided!!!

keep riding dear!

c

Toni, congratulations - what a fabulous accomplishment! I really got a lump in my throat reading your story. What a strong woman you are!

Gotta love the wind

I ride into a headwind going to work...if there is no wind I average 12-14 mph,with the headwind I am lucky to average between 8-10 mph. On the way home it is a sidewind. I just have to keep my balance. As I ride I just keep telling myself "this will make you stronger".
    Braveheart

I love my Sirrus. But I haven't ridden significiantly since I got hit by a car in August. And I've gained weight. Or to be fair, more weight. I started packing it on when I started school - and quit bike commuting. School's been great for me in other ways, but it's been hard on my social life and hard on my waistline. I've been trying to figure out how to manage a bike/bus commute....
    Aperte mala cm est mulier, tum demum est bona. -- Syrus, Maxims
    (When a woman is openly bad, she is at last good.)

Edepol nunc nos tempus est malas peioris fieri. -- Plautus, Miles Gloriosus
    (Now is the time for bad girls to become worse still.)

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Congrats on your incredible weight loss, Toni!!! Now that you told us the amazing story of your transformation, we need to see before and after pics (I just love looking at people change themselves).
    Way to go!!!! 500 miles and 60 lbs- you are truly an inspiration my dear!!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Excellent work, Toni!!! You are an inspiration.

Toni!!!!! You are a BABE!!!!! Way to go!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I am so IMPRESSED!!! And my bike is jealous. I've gotta take her out and start commuting. After all, the snow has failed to materialize so far this winter. Might as well stay on the bike til it does.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

I do not like pictures of myself, but here is an "after" picture:

http://www.breastcenter.tmc.edu/

I am going to ask (grudgingly) for my "before" picture that they took at the beginning of "phat" class, will post it sometime next week......
    Braveheart

Toni, congratulations on meeting and exceeding your goals! Your a wonderful inspiration to me and others.

Wow. What a great story
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Great pic! You look maaaahhhvelous!!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

That class sounds harsh -- I'm glad you found biking.
    ~ Susie

"Keep plugging along. The finish line is getting closer with every step. When you see it, you won't remember that you are hurting, that anything has gone wrong, or just how slow or fast you are.
    You will just know that you are going to finish and that was what you set out to do."
    -- Michael Pate, "When Big Boys Tri"

Toni:

What a great accomplishment and a great way to start 2007. Congratulations and continue to have fun for that is what it all about, in my opinion.
    Marcie