Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Prescription Sunglasses?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am looking into getting some prescription sunglasses. My eyes really hate contacts and I do wear them, but I would like the option to do without them. Right now I have to have them in to ride.

I am leaning towards the Tifosi prescription sunglasses. I really like my non-prescription Tifosis and I really like the price. Anyone have experience with them? Mainly I wonder how long they take, where to get them and if there is anything I should know before getting them.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Oooh, those are cool! I'm still wearing my 5 or 6 year old prescription Oakley Minutes. They were expensive, but oh so worth it!

I think it took something like 2 weeks for my optometrist to get the lenses, they had to be ordered. It was very nice to have the optometrist heat the frame and then fit it to my face, making them the most comfortable sunglasses I've ever worn.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I am thinking of getting the Czars with the tortoise shell. I hope I can find another Tifosi dealer, our local one is kind of annoying to me. For some reason the shop has great customer service but they annoy me.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

My husband just got a pair or Rx Tifosi's. Ordered them from:

http://hubbikes.com/
    706-355-3989

It's a Athens, GA bike shop very close to Tifosi HQ. The guys all know one another. They can get anything you want, just ask for Brain.

My DH's were with the special lenses for bad eyes and wrap frames - he loves them.

Hmmm....I've been using the same pair of no-name Rx sunglasses for about 5 years now, and not only are the frames about to give up the ghost, but my Rx has now changed so much that my poor eyes go crazy trying to adapt from my regular untinted indoor glasses to my sunglasses. So it's time for a change.

I checked out the Tifosi site and it looks as if you can get either sunglasses with prescription lenses OR sunglasses with non-Rx lenses plus an Rx insert. My eye optometrist offers something like the latter also. But has anyone tried this arrangement--the little Rx insert, that is? It seems very economical, since when your prescription changes, you don't have to buy a whole new set of frames, but just the insert. On the other hand, does the insert provide a satisfactory field of vision? And what about security of fit? Does that little devil ever work itself loose? I'd just like to hear from anyone who has experience with this kind of Rx sunglasses.
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

JuJu, my husband uses something like that, not because of money but because he has a bad astigmatism so he can't have his prescription lens curved or wrap-around, as most cycling glasses are. He likes them fine, and no, they have never popped out. He said there was an adjustment period, though, and that at first everything looked a little blurry.

That is the big concern with prescription sunglasses, the astigmatism issue. I have a mild astigmatism so I can wear most sunglasses as prescription lenses, but it does take a while for my eyes to adjust to them, too. Unfortunately my astigmatism is getting worse and the doctor said my next pair will probably need to be the insert style.

I normally wear contacts except on the bike, when I use Bolle Parole glasses with the Rx insert and breakaway lenses in different colors. Field of vision is fine, the only thing that bothers me is that they're heavy (remember, I don't usually wear glasses). I wish I'd gotten a bifocal Rx for my insert, though. DH did and is happy that he can see his cyclocomputer just fine.

I have the insert setup from Performance and think they are very nice for the money. I just ordered the glasses and lenses from Performance and then WalMart filled the Rx. They work fine for me and were around $200 complete.

My husband had Smith glasses with an insert before getting the Tifosi glasses. He likes the single lens Tifosi much better. Even with his poor eyesight the Tifosi lens is excellent, better then the Smith insert. Plus the single lens is way better if you sweat a lot. Occasionally sweat can get between the lenses - big PITA.

He still uses the Smith's with an amber lens for low light conditions, but I wouldn't be surprized if he spings for another pair at some point. The biggest advantage of the inserts is you can swap lenses for light condition.

I have Columbia Sports wrap around style glasses with RX lenses in them. My perscription is fairly light and I can get any lenses even though I do have some astigmatism. I didn't want to get the insert type just because it seems like it would be too easy for them to fog up inbetween or to get water in there if its raining. It would be nice to have interchangable lenses, but I do the second best thing by getting photogrey (transitions) on all of my glasses. I'm pretty light sensitive so I get all of my glasses done this way, otherwise I'm squinting all of the time.

I'm thinking about getting some Smiths this year. They are one of our sponsors and I've tried on a pair that are actually small enough for me. (this is another problem for me - I'm small and have a narrow face with a narrow interpupilary distance too, so I often must buy childrens' glasses) They are definitely more stylish than my Columbias, but keeping grit and water and wind out of my eyes is the most important thing! I think that they have a model that has RXable interchangeable lenses, but the lenses are so expensive that getting more than one with my prescription might be way to pricey. I'm hoping I can take advantage of the sposored price and my insurance, but getting an itemized reciept may not be possible.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Eden- I am thinking of getting transition lenses since I will have to give up my interchangeables. Do they get pretty dark?
    Amanda

They aren't quite as dark as the pair of dedicated sunglasses that I have (they are the darkest lens available) but they get dark enough that I don't have any problems no matter how bright it is outside. You sometimes get a choice of lenses that go from light to medium dark or medium to very dark too.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

My everyday glasses have transitions lenses--I've been using transitions for several years now. As Eden said, they don't get as dark as actual sunglasses, so I don't use them for cycling. But for just everyday life, they're great. I walk around campus from my office to classes, library, etc., and it would just drive me nuts to have to be changing from clear glasses to sunglasses every time I entered or exited a building.

Xeney, the serious astigmatism is my problem, too. Sounds like there's a general feeling of satisfaction with the sunglasses-with-Rx-inserts, so I guess that's what I'll go with. And I'm told I can get them as bifocals, so I can read my computer (my regular glasses have progressive lenses--between the progressives and the transitions, it's a good thing I've got the vision plan with my health insurance! )
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

Have you checked out ryders at all? With prescription lenses, you are limited to the amount of curve you can get. Ryders (and maybe other companies?) have some frames with a gasket so you can get an 8 base curve with prescription lenses. Basically, the gasket reduces the lens curve to 6 base, but the frame is still 8 base so you get really good coverage while riding.

Just something to consider

http://www.heavyglare.com/

About 4 mos ago, Bill got Rudy Projects with Rx. One eye has a very high correction power plus an astigmatism. He talked to company after company. Heavy Glare was the only place that would even attempt to work with his prescription. He's very happy with the results.

He did not want an insert due to the field of vision plus one more place to trap dust, fog, sweat, whatever. Generally, increasing the layers of lens reduces optical quality.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by KayTee View Post
    I normally wear contacts except on the bike, when I use Bolle Parole glasses with the Rx insert and breakaway lenses in different colors. Field of vision is fine, the only thing that bothers me is that they're heavy (remember, I don't usually wear glasses). I wish I'd gotten a bifocal Rx for my insert, though. DH did and is happy that he can see his cyclocomputer just fine.
    I do EXACTLY what you do ... use to wear contacts on bike, but the wind and other elements dried them out and my eyes actually started hurting after long rides. So, I went with Bolle Parole and Rx insert -- I like them but they are heavy and slide a bit. So, I but a kids eyeglass strap on them (shorter than an adults) and it fits snug around my head and keeping the glasses from sliding down my nose. It was the least expensive alternative to the problem and I am happy I did it. However, if I ever get another pair of Rx for bike, I will look for lighter weight and snugger fitting glasses.