Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

TriGirl and Wahine... THANKS SO MUCH for all the tips, advice and words of encouragement. Really good stuff!

IF I sign up for IMAZ 08, I am pretty sure I will do the mary at the IM. Keep injury at bay, right? I also like the idea of doing long, slow runs... and just doing it for time. Sounds great to me!

And, when the time gets closer... I am certain I will hit each of you and RM up for some training advice, etc. Although, that training is a year away!

Velob... Chi Running is very similar to Evolution Running. This is basically the form my running coach changed me to. Although, I rarely incorporate the forward lean, simply because I run faster, which puts too much strain on my lower leg muscles (aka: Many days of recovery and pain). But when I go into a sprint, I forward lean.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Glad to be of help KSH. Hit me up with questions anytime. There's little I like better that talking tri.

Cassie

We did our first hilly run 2 days ago. We logged just under 9 km and that took 1:20 or so.

This was the first time I've been able to run "up and down and back up..." and recovering in between, so something is happenin... What do you pros think? I'd like to be a bit more "springy" over 10 k. What can I do - I am planning more hilly runs, and intervals or hill repeats. Any more tricks?
    Last edited by alpinerabbit; 01-01-2007 at 05:53 AM.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Alpine Rabbit,

What is your goal - a speedy flat 10 k or a hilly trail run?

if you send more info I'll give you some pointers. Hill running is great for strength but not for speed. You'll need to do some other intervals for speed.

I'm off to ride my trainer. I ran 1:30 yesterday and my knee is a little sore. The footing was a little sketchy. I hope it loosens up today on the bike but if not, time to see my PT. Can't afford to let this get out of hand, I'm entering base training phase for IM Can.

A little late reporting in, but late is better than nothing, right? I got my Christmas present a little late in the form of a HR monitor, bike shorts, and jersey. Saturday I took the HR monitor out and did a LT test. (please, don't ever make me do that again - even though I need to do it it the bike now ). So I warmed up for 20 minutes, the first 10 pretty easy, then stepping it up over the last 10min. I watched my HR climb from the 120 range to 170 at the end of the 20min (I was going at a decent pace there). I then went all out for 20 minutes, including two pretty decent hills, and used my average HR over those last 20min as my LT, which is 181. When a friend helped me test it in October it was 177, so a little improvement.

I figured out my zones to be this for the run:

LT - 181
    zone 1 - 152 or less (84% and less)
    zone 2 - 153-165 ( 83-91)
    zone 3 - 166 - 172 (92-95)
    zone 4 - 173 - 180 (96-99)
    zone 5a - 181 - 185 (100-102)
    zone 5b - 186 - 192 (103-106)
    zone 5c - 193+ (107+)

If you gals have any hints on better ways to do the LT, or have other ways of calculating zones, I'm all ears. Maybe I can get anything corrected that needs to be done before I do the LT test on the bike.

Now to go and apply it on the run I'm doing today, a out and back 30min with negative return split. Zone 1-2 out, zone 2-3 in. Should be around a 50min run total with warm-up and cool down. (we'll see how long I actually stick to the plan that I have figured out - first tri and duathlon in April, Olympic in May)