Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Mid range road bikes

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi! I'm new to this site, and just love it that it's geared (no pun intended) for women! This being said, I am going to be in the market for a new road bike in a couple of months (I'm recovering from ankle reconstruction surgery). I am liking the Specialized Ruby Elite, but I noticed in the specs, that the pedals that come standard with this model is a plastic platform.--when did this happen? In the past, mid range road bikes came with toe clips. I thought perhaps most cyclists switch out the pedals to clipless. Does anyone know why--or is my guess correct?

Hello and welcome!

I would guess the same. Clipless pedals are popular for road bikes. Don't feel that you have to do the same, though. There are still a few folks who prefer toe clips, power strips or flat pedals with pins to grip the soles of your shoes. I am using the latter on a new gravel bike and am quite happy with them so far.

Good luck with the rehab. Cycling is great exercise that is usually doable with ankle problems.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

As N.Y. says, don't lock yourself into what other are doing. Lots of good choices on pedals, these days. Nothing automatic about having to choose clipless.

Mid range road bikes

Ive always enjoyed Mid-Range over Long Range. Just my preference. I might be interested. Would the match displace or be run at the same time as some other silhouette match?

Woody

Quote Originally Posted by broopelub View Post
    Ive always enjoyed Mid-Range over Long Range. Just my preference. I might be interested. Would the match displace or be run at the same time as some other silhouette match?

Woody
    That's a really interesting question. I have not heard of the term mid range over long range. My guess is we're referring to the intended distance of the bike? So in my case my Salsa and Soma are considered long range bikes, built for touring. My Mondonico is built for touring but unloaded touring, and it's the one I've done my longest rides in. So short, mid or long range seems more about the way you use the bike. I could and would like to do longer rides on the Soma and not necessarily loaded at all. It's just a more comfortable bike for me. I could ride to the store or work on the Mondonico but that seems kind of a silly use for it.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Same here.