Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Any places to ride near Yosemite?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I’m going to be near Yosemite on Saturday, May 29th and I have the whole day to kill. I can take either my mountain bike or my road bike. Anybody have any suggestions of places to ride?

I have a book at home on rides in the National Parks. If no one gives you an answer, I'll look when I get off. But only if you promise to tell us how the riding was since we're thinking about going for a few days.

V.

These rides are listed in Bicycling America's National Parks - California

Mountain Bike

11.3 miles around Williams Butte. Moderate, mostly level except for one big hill.

2.5 miles Tuolumne Grove, moderate, lots of hikers

Road Bike:

95.4 miles Tioga Pass as an out and back

8.7 miles Valley Bike Path

4.8 miles Sentinel Dome to Glacier Point, perhaps the best vistas in the park, best to do in the late afternoon so you can watch sunset, the hike to the top is 2.2 miles round trip and fairly easy.

I haven't done any of these. It's all from the book.

Veronica

Veronica:

Thanks for the input. I'll have to do more research. I found a few places online that said that mountain biking was not allowed. Maybe there's still a few places I could go. I mountain bike WAY more than I road bike, and I'm just more confortable on the fatty. So if I'm in an unfamiliar place, I think my mountain bike might be the answer. BUT.... I'll be by myself, and it is a lot easier to get lost mountain biking!

I'll let you know what I figure out.

I"ve found that mb is not allowed on most national parks... St Helen's Nat Monument being the exception. You might call and ask.

Penny
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

you know, there's tons of trails in the NF surrounding Yosemite, and I"ll be there's great riding if you know where to look

this site here may be useful
    http://ogrehut.net/

Dennis, a guy I know from alt.mountain-bike runs this site, and he looks pretty keyed into the region. I bet you could send him an email.

penny
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM