Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Road tragedy claims promising young Australian cyclist

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was driving home from my Saturday race when I heard this over the radio.
    I nearly had to pull off the road, I felt such shock and such sickness.
    You gals in the northern hemisphere may not have heard of Scott, but Down-Under he is... was... a promising young cyclist we were expecting to see at Olympic level...
    He was only 19.

I watched him win two stages in the recentTour of Southland.
    And he was just 19.

I guess it hit me hard because my two eldset sons are almost 18, and almost 16. My almost-18-year old is hoping to get noticed/selected at a "selecter's event" early in 2007.
    Scott was only 19 - I'm still stunned

To all the Aussie gals here, we noticed this tradgedy... if any of the Peoples family or friends are here - know he is thought of and remembered in Aotearoa.

Cycling News Flash for December 16, 2006
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...c06/dec16news3

Emerging Australian junior cyclist Scott Peoples from Shepparton, Victoria, has died in a tragic road accident while training near Melbourne, reports stuff.co.nz.

Police have confirmed the 19 year-old Victorian, a recent double-stage winner at last month's Tour of Southland stage race in New Zealand, was struck from behind by a Nissan Patrol four-wheel drive vehicle on the Maroondah highway in Merton, Victoria, and died later at the scene. The male driver, whose name has not been identified, was taken to hospital suffering from shock.

"Scott was a young rider with a great future ahead of him but that future has been cruelly cut short," said Cycling Australia CEO, Graham Fredericks. "Our thoughts are with his family and friends as they try to deal with their terrible loss.

"This tragedy once again highlights the need for motorists to take special care and be aware of cyclists on our roads," said Mr Fredericks. "Many Australians, both young and old, will be receiving bicycles for Christmas and will be on the roads trying them out so I urge all motorists to be patient because an extra five minutes added to your journey is a small price to pay to keep a cyclist safe."

Victorian race promoter and Cyclingnews correspondent, John Trevorrow, said Peoples was "One of our brightest young stars" and "destined for greatness".

"He rode a good Sun Tour, then finished third overall in Tour of Tasmania (a tough, hilly race won by riders such as Cadel Evans) and won two stages in NZ. Brett Lancaster (established Australian pro rider) was just telling me he was organising a pro contact for the youngster."

Cyclingnews extends its condolences to the Peoples family.
    Last edited by RoadRaven; 12-17-2006 at 09:54 AM.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

And this after that terrible accident to the women in Germany last July!
    Really sad...

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

oh nooooooooo

i havent heard any news since fri night. i cant believe it! i just cant believe it.
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived — This is to have succeeded - Emerson

This is tragic. I feel your pain, RR...

Hits from behind are also very rare, it makes me wonder what happened, and very angry. How terrible...

And yet another up and coming superstar is taken out by a car!!!

WHEN IT WILL IT STOP! Luke Harrop, Amy Gillet and now Simon Peoples!

Way to go drivers!!! You're wiping out a generation of our sports stars, olympic hopefuls and all around good people!

WAKE UP!

Sorry... It just angers me that Simon was struck from BEHIND. BEHIND!!!! As in the car was following him therefore would have been in their line of vision! It's senseless!

*end rant*

My deepest condolances to the peoples family...
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

Thanks for your comments everyone

Although not a member of Scott's family, or even a friend of a friend of a friend of the family, it is somehow good to know there are others out there who are mourning his loss as a stranger to the family as I am.

Although the cultural divide is growing between Oz and NZ, terrible things like this make the ocean between us a little ditch.

And Margo, you are so right... I am still not over the tragedy in Germany.

I have battled with myself these last two days to allow my sons to go out and ride... to let them ride without all my scared, motherly, over-protectiveness.

You aren't supposed to bury your children. How my heart goes out to Scott's mother and father.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

It just seems to never end. It is a tragedy about that wonderful young man! I think our state (Arizona) is up to about 36 cyclist deaths this year; not to mention the cyclists who survived but are fighting to reclaim their former lives with serious and severe injuries. Be careful everyone