Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike Bod

Bike Bod

To disable ads, please log-in.

So curious, what has cycling done for your body? What has it done for your health? What do you hope to accomplish in 2007?

I'm looking for encouragement for New Years Resolutions

I hope to accomplish better aerobic capabilities, to get some hot legs , and to be able to go biking together with my family.
    ~ survivor of a crash and burn ride at 11, scared crazy to try again in Spring '07 but gonna try!

The other day I was standing waiting for the elevator at work when I looked down and my thighs didn't meet all the way down in the middle anymore! Woo! I was so happy! I mean, they still smoosh together a little at the top, but there was LIGHT through a teeny gap! So yay!

Also, I was spinning yesterday at the gym and when I looked down my thighs looked awesome. Not quite cyclist-sculpted but there was some serious definition, so that made me happy.

My goals for the 2007 year when it comes to cycling are:
    -Ride more than one organized Century ride
    -Sprint Tri in June, I am also hoping to do an Olympic maybe later in the summer (depending on how the sprint goes?)
    -Get better at hills!
    -Start commuting again!

That's rather alot, and that's not even going near my resolutions for other sports! Hah.... this is gonna be a busy year....

I have lost weight and brought my cholesterol way down. I am now off Zocor. The next step is to bring down my blood pressure. I also feel stronger and more confident. So keep cycling. You have great goals for next year.
    You should never stop learning: :

mlove, congratulations on getting off the Zocor! I have been on a cholesterol lowering drug since I was 35 & no matter how hard I work out, I will not be able to go off. My body just loves to manufacture that stuff! Because of being on a maintenance drug for so long, I have developed chronic bursitis in my hips.

Cycling keeps my hips from hurting all the time and for that reason alone, I love it. Cycling makes me feel good all over - what more can I say?
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

Last week I was trying on jeans, each one I would try on I'd do the rear view check. I kept thinking my butt looks so different in these jeans, after a few different brands I realized it's not the jeans, my butt has changed shape!

I'll admit finding jeans to fit my bigger thighs is tough but I do enjoy my smaller waist and tone behind.

My goals for 2007:
    I joined two race teams this year, a mtb team and women's road race team was newly organized in our club that I am going to be a part of.
    Improve on my speed.
    Enjoy all the aspects of cycling and just have fun!
    Last edited by Artisan; 12-15-2006 at 09:16 AM. Reason: I can't spell
    Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be. ~Grandma Moses

I can actually see muscles in my legs. Pretty neat.
    ~ Susie

"Keep plugging along. The finish line is getting closer with every step. When you see it, you won't remember that you are hurting, that anything has gone wrong, or just how slow or fast you are.
    You will just know that you are going to finish and that was what you set out to do."
    -- Michael Pate, "When Big Boys Tri"

I am happier cause i have found something that is not so hard on my body like running. My legs are more defined muscle wise. I used to play soccer and run track so i have always had muscle in my legs but the muscle now seems longer. I think my butt is bigger now though? And I already have round butt. There is more muscle there now i guess. I also feel more at ease in my life. Calmer. And it is not so hard to talk myself into a bike ride like it was for running. I have now been riding 3 years and can't imagine not riding!
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

Up until the time I started having medical problems, I was riding alot. My eating stayed normal (ie bad and too much), but my legs and thighs became slimmer and my booty tighter. Can't say there was too much change in my upper body although I think from mountain biking I have strong arms and well developed biceps.

Since September I have basically been off the bike. I can feel my legs and booty rearranging, becoming flabbier and I've gain weight (darn!). I'm hoping here soon I can get serious again and start toning up! n No question cycling is good for the legs, thighs and booty!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

I'm new here but I've been riding for well over a year now. One major thing I have noticed is the drastic reduction of my backside and the awesome development of my calves. I've had cankles for so long and then I noticed one day that my cankles turned into two seperate areas: ankels and calves. Woohoo

I almost like that area just above the knees now..I can see muscle definition in my quads. I've always considered myself a quadzilla, but I could never see the individual muscles well. Cycling has strengthened my hard to hit hams and calves.

I'm in a lot less pain from my old running injuries.

Goals for the next year: Ride longer, ride faster, climb better, and get leaner.

The best thing it did was help me with my (form of) astma. I finally can breath normal again and not be frightened to get an astma attack. No longer do I need to carry around my ventolin every where I go.

And I did loose some (6 kilograms) weight though I was not (yet) overweight. I am now back within my own weight standards.

And feel physically better then ever.
    My new baby for 2007

DH (AKA Mr. Oblivious) says that he's noticed that my back side is much more attractive than when I wasn't cycling. And if HE notices...

While I haven't lost a bunch of weight, the overall trend is downward. Also, I've dropped 2 pants sizes. I'm good with that.

I think I'm more attractive cause I'm smiling more, too. I'm just happier, and more psychologically healthy - though that's hard to tell from the inside.

So yeah, cycling has improved my appearance.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

*sigh* i gained weight when i took up cycling.... and try as i might... i canNOT get it back off.... (my bloodwork is all awesome with my working out and cycling, though!)

bike benefits

1. youthful attitude
    2. confidence
    3. ability to wear cycling clothing without embarrassment
    4. lower heart rate and blood pressure
    5. discipline to eat less so I can do hills
    6. muscles under the skin
    7. pride when I master a challenging ride
    8. "bikie tan" that takes hours to earn (and I don't care if any non-bikies think I look stupid!)
    9. the pure joy of catching a sweet tail wind after pushing through a punishing headwind for miles
    10. being 46 and looking great compared to most of my high school classmates 'cause they don't exercise
    11. using my rides as an alternative to being on an anti-depressant
    12. wanting to ride till I'm old and having every intention of doing so
    13. ordering really cool/rebellious cycling clothing and gear
    14. knowing I'll never own a bike from Walmart (yes, I paid $1200 for my Trek 1500 and $1500 for my Homegrown mountain bike because they ride so fine)
    Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by bacarver View Post
    1. youthful attitude
    2. confidence
    3. ability to wear shorts without embarrassment
    4. lower heart rate and blood pressure
    5. discipline work harder so I can do hills
    6. muscles under the skin -- NICE LEGS!
    7. pride when I master a challenging ride
    8. "bike tan" that takes hours to earn (and I don't care if any non-bikies think I look stupid!)
    9. the pure joy of catching a sweet tail wind after pushing through a punishing headwind for miles
    10. being 55 and looking great compared to most of my high school classmates 'cause they don't exercise
    11. using my rides as an alternative to being cold, achey and miserable
    12. wanting to ride till I'm old and having every intention of doing so
    13. ordering really cool/rebellious cycling clothing and gear
    14. being able to ride a cool italian bike
    15. Realizing that i am fitter than people less than 1/2 my age.
    16. Realizing that I can do better next year!

Good Luck!
    what a great list! I like it so much i will tailor it to me.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.