Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck on Wheels View Post
    Here one way hot dogs are served is with "lompe", like a soft tortilla made from potatoes.
    This sounds really, really, really good. But maybe that's just because I've been having massive cravings for french fries lately.
    ~ Susie

"Keep plugging along. The finish line is getting closer with every step. When you see it, you won't remember that you are hurting, that anything has gone wrong, or just how slow or fast you are.
    You will just know that you are going to finish and that was what you set out to do."
    -- Michael Pate, "When Big Boys Tri"

Wow, so much updating on here !!!

First, for my own update. I'm definitely still lactose intolerant. Got a GF milkshake the other day while I was sick with a cold, and man did it ever make me sick. I *hope* *hope* *hope* that when my small intestine heals I can have milk again.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    OTG, you just gotta come to Seattle! We've got GF restaurants and darn near every grocery store has a GF section, even if it's a little one.
    I'll be visiting Seattle for a day sometime around the first week of August. Maybe you can show me around! (I'm actually going to visit a friend in Portland, but we're going to take a day trip.)

Wegmans has a decent selection that I'm going to mainly live off for week to week things. They have GF frozen waffles that are absolutely delicious. They also have some frozen pizza dough (and a complete frozen pizza for $7) that isn't good, but it's convenient.

AND Wegmans puts little seals on ALL of its brand name products that say if they are gluten free, lactose free, etc., so I can get Wegmans pancake syrup and Wegmans spaghetti sauce and not have to spend a fortune for the peace of mind to know that it's safe.

No GF soups, though. Do you make a GF soup? I'll have to look in the recipe book that I have, but if you can't use a commercially available broth or boullion, that is probably way too much work for me.

I'll definitely have to try those brownie mixes you were talking about.

But Wegmans doesn't have some of the mixes (Pamela's for instance), which I probably will continue to order online. There is a Trader Joe's near Philadelphia (about an hour drive each way) that I'm going to visit at some point to see what kind of selection they have.

There is a specialty store in Amish country that has a bunch of the specialty flours, but that store was a good hour's drive, too. I tried a banana bread that actually turned out OK (needs a lot more sugar)!!! Who knew I could actually *make* a bread?! Wow.

I want to make some regular bread sometime soon, though. If there's no kneading, then perhaps I can do it myself.

The Ener-G hamburger bun I tried was tolerable. But I want to try corn tortillas with hamburgers next.

Thanks for the B12 tip. I'll have to check it out because I'm almost out of the $15 ones (for 30-pack) from the health store.
    ~ Susie

"Keep plugging along. The finish line is getting closer with every step. When you see it, you won't remember that you are hurting, that anything has gone wrong, or just how slow or fast you are.
    You will just know that you are going to finish and that was what you set out to do."

I make soups, and since they never had any gluten in the first place, they end up gluten free. (toss cubed steak, chopped potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, and water into crockpot = GF soup!)

I buy some soups, but since it's so much cheaper to make my own now that I have a crock-pot I mostly do that.

Gotta be careful with soups. Quite a lot of them have wheat or "vegetable protein" or such. "modified food starch" can be a booger. Read the labels, and if it isn't clearly identified I assume it's got some wheat in it. Lots of GF soups in the world, but since they never had gluten they aren't labeled GF.

Yeah, the lactose can be a problem. Generally if my gut is in a bad mood I stay away from milk. If I want a fake milk, I use Rice Milk. Haven't bothered to try Lactaid cow's milk, cuz the rice milk is so cheap and tastes fine.

Wegman's sounds like a good store!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Thanks, Duck! I think I'm good with the mix supply here in sunny Seattle.

This is my B12: MethylCobalamin 1mg.
    Whoa, I realize this is random, but that's precisely the stuff [well I got a different brand] I had to hunt down to help my diabetic kitty with his weak hind legs. Apparently this is a common symptom in cats. So it's supposedly good for the CNS too.

...sorry for the tangent...

Yup, and since celiacs can't absorb B12 properly, they get weird CNS symptoms sometimes. Pretty wild how everything interconnects in the body's systems, eh?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Thanks Ladies

I can't believe how much I've learned from this thread. I have an allergy to something related to wheat processing, it's never been pinpointed and I know it's not the wheat because I can eat wheat in Europe and Asia without trouble.

Anyway, I am faced with training for Ironman and was dreading figuring out how to fuel up. Everyone here has had such great ideas that it almost seems easy now.

Thanks for contributing to such an intellegent thread and unknowingly helping me train.

I tried quinoa this morning. Yuck. But I managed to eat it.

I use 8th Continent soy milks. They are pretty good, as far as soy milks go. For hot chocolate when I was sick, I heated up the chocolate soy milk and added some Da Vinci hazlenut syrup I already had for my latte machine. Yum.

The Lactaid definitely has an aftertaste to it, but it's tolerable.

I will definitely have to get a Crock Pot next.
    Last edited by Offthegrid; 12-28-2006 at 04:33 AM.
    ~ Susie

Quote Originally Posted by Offthegrid View Post
    When a cereal bar says, "gluten free, wheat free, egg free, dairy free, soy free and fat free,"
    it really makes you wonder WHAT in the world is actually in it.
    My spin instructor last year gave us some samples of an energy bar called "green". It actually was green inside, which looked yucky, but it tasted pretty yummy. Made with dates, figs, and bean sprouts, as I recall. Don't remember whether there were any grains, egg, wheat, dairy, soy or fats in it, but it might be worth looking up.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

OTG- have you tried Lara Bars?

www.larabar.com

their website is a bit slow, oh well. Around here I can find Lara Bars just about everywhere, and can buy them by the case at Costco.

OTG- have you tried Lara Bars?
    mmmmmmmmmmmm Lara Bars. Yummy!

~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com

I've tried the Lara bar. It was o-kay. But they're not readily available here. And no Costco nearby. I paid $1.57 for one at the specialty Amish store and I've never seen them anywhere else. Had never even heard of them before celiac.

I might buy a case or something through the Internet come summer.
    ~ Susie

OTG,
    I like Larabars. Some taste better than others. Watch www.drugstore.com as they will have special sales on cases of them. My local grocery store carries them, but buying them online is much, much leass expensive for me.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

From the Web site, there are only 2 Larabars that are labeled as gluten-free: lemon and cinammon.
    ~ Susie

someone said soup?
    when I make soup, the only broth i need is from the veggies and meat that I am cooking. I HATE boullion. it's got this artificial tang that i just can't get past.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Offthegrid View Post
    From the Web site, there are only 2 Larabars that are labeled as gluten-free: lemon and cinammon.
    i eat all of them. no wheat, oats, barley, or rye and i'm there! I know they are ok for me, but you might want to call them. Could be a processing plant that shares with wheat products, rather than an ingredient issue.