Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

(Long and less long) Runs - 12/10 to 12/16

To disable ads, please log-in.

Let's have a weekly running thread, and be open to all runs, long or less long.

My running partner is going home in Ontario for the Holidays so we're organizing an event to celebrate our fall season of running diligently nearly every Tuesday and Thursday and Sunday since September. I'm going to cut down on mileage in January to prepare for my March spring triathlon, so we're doing our last long runs together.

Next Sunday (17th) we're having a 'half-marathon' of two runners (and a friend of ours has volunteered to do the finish line 'crowd' of one). We will be running around Stanley Park, a very flat course, compared to our usual hilly routes.

So today we did our longest run ever, 17km, including our one-mile 5% hill and other smaller ones. I could have run another 4-5 km if it hadn't been for that hill, with another one-minute walking break. (We walk for 1 every 20 minutes.) We ran under 6-min per km so I'm very happy. Nothing really hurt, I was just normally tired. Lungs were quite happy and I successfully controlled my HR, even on the hill. It rained, but that's not an event for us anymore.

We're going to do two 5k this week and carbo-load properly to be ready for next Sunday! Hurray!

4 miles walking with relatively minor discomfort.

DH and I ran the Kiawah marathon Saturday. It was extremely cold by our standards-low 20s. My hamstrings stayed tight the entire race, but other than that, I felt great until somewhere between mile 22 & 23. Things started slowing down a bit at that point. We finished in 3:46:01, a PR by twenty seconds! I met my goal of qualifying for Boston.

mcole--congrats on meeting your goal! Sounds like you ran an awesome marathon! That's so exciting. I can't wait to hear about the Boston marathon. My dream someday is to qualify. I just ran my first marathon in 4:58 . . . I have a VERY LONG WAYS TO GO.

I attempted a 7 mile run this weekend. I haven't done anything over 5 miles since the chicago marathon back in October. There was a lot of wet snow on the roads. It kept sticking to the soles of my shoes and hurting my feet. Plus I felt like I was running on sand, only worse. It was a hard run for me.

About 2 miles in I had to stop to walk. I realized that this was my fifth day in a row of doing an fairly intense workout--no wonder I was struggling. I decided to give myself a break. I turned around and walk/jogged the remaining 2 miles home.

I've been pretty lazy since running Chicago. I'm trying to get myself psyched up to do some good workouts--I was so strong after the marathon training, I don't want to lose all of it. But, with it getting dark so early, the cold snowy weather, a toddler, and a husband that works ALL THE TIME . . . I can't find the time to work out like I used to. The jogger doesn't push well in the snow and I"m hesitant about taking our daughter out when it is bitter cold.

I miss the sunshine.

My last run was 12/4! I took a week off due to illness and I am hoping (fingers and toes crossed) that I will be able to go out tonight and run.
    So hopefully by late tonight/early tomorrow morning i will be able to post a long run report. I miss running.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Wow!!! MColeman, great job at that marathon there and congratulations for qualifying for Boston! It's very exciting!!

Limewave - It's okay to give yourself some slack... It's also good to avoid overtraining-related depression. I love running, but I know that if I keep running at that pace (i.e. actual speed + number and volume of workouts), I'll burn-out by February. So I'm switching my focus to cycling after next weekend. Give yourself a chance!

Did 9 miles on Saturday morning - my longest ever run and my first on a Saturday morning. I'm training for my first half mara at the end of February. It was an enjoyable run, got out in the rain windw and it was lovely to run along the river away from the road rather than pound the streets around my workplace all the time. I've got 10 miles scheduled for next Saturday but I'll need to get the map out to figure out where else I can run to add some mileage on.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoleman View Post
    DH and I ran the Kiawah marathon Saturday. It was extremely cold by our standards-low 20s. My hamstrings stayed tight the entire race, but other than that, I felt great until somewhere between mile 22 & 23. Things started slowing down a bit at that point. We finished in 3:46:01, a PR by twenty seconds! I met my goal of qualifying for Boston.
    Woohoo! That's awesome. Congrats!!

Sounds chilly! Hopefully it was dry, chilly and wet for 26 miles would be even rougher.

Rest up.

I'm definitely still in boring mode, but this week I get to start running short distances again... finally! I'll probably switch off running/biking and running/yoga every other day.

I was walking the dog fairly regularly toward the end of last week and my shins/knees were complaining, these will definitely be my problems when I start running again. I have been working with my acupuncturist on it, she says the muscles in my right shin are contracted and refuse to relax, and the connecting channel runs all the way up to my knee cap (which is where that hurts, too). She's been working my shoulder area, too, so hopefully I'll feel confident enough to swim again soon.

I definitely fail major effort this weekend, we had our office xmas party, then I had to fly to Seattle for a wedding Saturday. Both turned out to be late nights that had me doing nothing but wandering around on Sunday. I felt guilty. I think I might need a new tri-specific training plan so I'm not stuck running every day and make progress over the winter toward a few goals for next year.

Chuffin' Wind!!!!!!!!!!!

Was supposed to have a 6 miler at lunch today with 1 minute intervals (8 of them) but the wind was so strong it was all I could do to stay on my feet at some points. 4 miles of survival instead.

Getting really fed up of the constant wet/windy weather we've been having, its been going on for about a month and is forecast to continue for the whole week again. I've hardly been out on a my bike at all because of it.... Rant over.

I finally got out for a run last night after a week of being ill and in hospital. I took it rather easy. I only ran about 4 miles in 30 minutes with a yoga cool down after. It was wonderful to be back out running.

It is raining today, of course. So it looks like I will be running in the rain this evening.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

I have not run a step since Saturday. I wondered why my 8.5-mile run was so hard Saturday morning, then woke up dizzzy Sunday morning. It seems that I caught the "crud" that was going around the office. However, I WILL run tomorrow -- I'm getting really antsy.

Tattiefritter -- where is your half? I'm planning to do the Mardi Gras Half in New Orleans at the end of February -- my first by myself.

KB

I have been slacking bigtime on my running. Right now I'm averaging 4.5 miles with hills about once a week and about 2.5 miles once a week. Been enjoying bike time a little too much lately. Once the first of the year comes I'll get settled down into a schedule for race season.

mcoleman - congrats on qualifying for Boston.

Well, I was feeling pretty good about my trail run today...until I saw the marathon, and the 9 miler and the 10 miler...

Nah, just kidding. I am doing pretty well, building my distance back up. Running took a back seat at the end of the summer due to mt bike racing. I did two races this fall each, with a running leg, but short distances. So now I have to start building it back up slowly for an adventure race in April.

I really do love trail running though, I just don't know what it is...different buzz for me than mt biking....

Ruth

I've been trying to run twice a week until February or so due to the short days. Most of it has been on the treadmill, something I never used to do, but I just don't like running in the dark. Did 4 miles today - 2 miles of tempo with a mile of easy warm-up and cool-down. I'm planning to do a long easy run (5-6 miles) this weekend - hopefully outside. I'll cross-train with stairs or rowing machine a couple times a week as well.

Deb