Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

DC TE Ride this sunday???

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey there, Tam, Nicole, et al.

Sunday's forecast say's sunny and high's in the low 50's. Anyone up for a last-minute casual ride this Sunday (the 10th)? (This would be in addition to the ride on the 17th still planned.)

My own DH just made plans to go mountain biking with a friend Sunday a.m., and I'm in no way up for that testosterone-fueled abuse-fest! Besides - got the result of my MRI - herniated disc at C7 - so crazy mtb rides are a distant dream for me anyway. But my orthopod said "no restrictions" on other activities - so a gentle mtb ride on the C&O from Riley's or a road ride - Peach Tree loop or other - sounds good. Nothin' crazy, but I just gotta get out!!!

So - what say ye? Anyone up?

My dad died today so there are plans and relatives to deal with, but I still would like to get in a ride for me. I consider it rolling therapy. If I get a ride in on Sunday it's likely going to have to be a quickie, so I'll do something up here by myself.

I'm still in for the 17th. I hope I can keep up with you and Catherine.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I'll see how productive tomorrow is for me studying. If I do one it'll have to be a quick ride for me as well.

I ought to do something so I can keep up with y'all on the 17th, because I've done nothing but sit at my desk this week. Maybe I'll get on the trainer or a spinner tomorrow. I'm skipping the team ride tomorrow. Some people want to do a century for kicks in the middle of exams. And I think the word "mountain" was involved. Psychos.

I'll check in tomorrow...so post the plan if you make one.

I'd be up for a ride on the canal.

Sorry to hear about your dad, Nicole. My condolences.

It's supposed to get down in the 20's tonight, so that means any ride tomorrow morning is gonna start out darned chilly no matter what the day's forecast is. I'm gonna weeny out on this one. It's only December 9th and I'm already fed up with being cold!

Regina: Herniated disc?! Wow... Do you have any idea how you ended up with that?

Nicole: I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I hope you'll be able to get that "rolling therapy", I'm sure it'll help you to deal with things.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

You know, now that I've made my list of everything I need to do this weekend, I think I'm going to have to bail on riding tomorrow also. I'll be spending the morning at Jiffy Lube, I'm afraid.

Yeah....cold. DH has been glued to the webcams at Timberline, Wisp, and Whitetail. They've all got their snow guns going full-bore. But skiing will have to wait until after Christmas!

Nicole, I'm so sorry to hear about our dad. I can really understand "rolling therapy." I think you would seem to have some time-constraints. What's your preference? Availabilty? I'm pretty flexible on Sunday - anything I need to do can be done whenever. So let us know.....you're option.

Tam - re: disc (actually, re-read the results, it's C5-6, not 7, for whatever that's worth!). I have no idea how or why I did this. My chiro told me of a study she read where someone did MRI's on people selected off the street - like 50% had disc problems, many herniated, and very few were symptomatic. So, it could have been "bulging" for some time (I have 2 other discs that show signs of bulging w/o being herniated) and I did something - likely just before the Seagull Century - that caused it to herniate, but I don't know what.

Nicole -- So sorry to hear about your dad. I hope you are doing ok.

Ladies--I rode this morning in 21 degree temps. With the right layering, it really wasn't too bad until the wind started picking up a little. Friday afternoon when I rode after work, conditions were downright brutal, particularly just after the sun went down. The wind this week has really been something. If it's any consolation, tomorrow morning should be a tad warmer. I bet it's colder down along the towpath, though. Should be a beautiful ride this time of year if you are hearty enuf to brave the chill.

The good news is that your body eventually acclimates to the cold. My first rides below freezing last year were terrible but I eventually got used to it.

Sorry I can't join you--on weekends, I get out at sunrise so I can get in a long ride before taking care of weekend chores.

Thanks everyone, I'm doing pretty well. He didn't suffer and didn't linger too long and I had enough time to say my goodbyes.

If there's time I'll ride on my own tomorrow.

I did a below 20 degree run this morning. It wasn't windy so it wasn't too bad.

See you on the 17th.

Nicole
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I rode from the house to the shop today - 23 degrees when I left. Brrrrr...
    I met DH and we did loops out of the shop as he demo'd 6 bikes to replace his dead Klein (current fave is the Seven ID8! Momma is sooo proud! Bank account is sooo scared!). But my neck, back, and right arm are killing me. So, Catherine, if you're up for a casual ride, I could do a brief one. But don't feel obligated - I may just noodle up New Hampshire Ave to 108 and back on my flat-bar commuter. Saving my back for the 17th....

I think I'm gonna bail too. I am having some fit issues I tried to fix on the trainer today after resting for a week--I think my saddle was WAAAY too far back, but it's still not quite right. I had some sore knees and numb toes on my hilly rides in Cville.

And I've procrastinated too much today too. Maybe by the 17th I'll have my act together.

I hope you feel better! A teammate is trying to get me to go on this moderate-to-fast 30 miler tomorrow but ugggh that sounds like work even if it is no-drop.

Take care of your back!

Nicole, I hope you can take some "me time" tomorrow.

see y'all next week.

Hey Regina,

Did you get in a ride today? I was planning to ride this morning but by the time I went to bed last night I was spent and didn't have the energy to even think about riding in the morning. I did try a run but it turned out that my legs aren't ready for running on consecutive days (my first mile was great, but I completely lost it soon after).

See you next Sunday.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

No ride on Sunday for me.
    DH picked up a stomach bug somewhere (it wasn't my cooking! I swear! ) and he was down for the count all day. I took care of him, stretched and iced my neck repeatedly, and then made a run to the home despot for some deer netting to put some barriers up around our baby azaleas and euonomyous (sp?). The deer have been chomping on them, and we just spent a gazillion dollars on landscaping and I don't intend for it to be very expensive deer food! (stupid garden rats! I hate 'em! There are TONS of tasty trees and plants in the woods behind our house, and they come and raid the ornamentals and the bird and squirrel feeders! Why can't they just eat the weeds?? Lord knows, we have plenty of them! ). Okay. Deep breath.
    Anywho.
    I hope everyone did something to enjoy the weather.